Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:07:54 PM
714241 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Brexit? « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Brexit?  (Read 7811 times)
Svengoolie 3
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2018, 05:14:26 AM »

As for Thatcher... well the week she died a song from The Wizard Of Oz hit number one in the charts... Hey Ho The Witch Is Dead (true story that). I am pretty sure that she had no doubt organised a corporate takeover of hell, sold off shares in it to a bunch of shady buisnessmen and that Satan has had to take up busking to try and keep his family fed.

In all fairness to her she did do some things that were badly needed. I can remember the 70's a little and the UK was not in a good place and Thatcher had something to do with turning that around. The unions had gotten too powerful and were running our industry into the ground. However like anything balance is required and I think she went too far in reducing their rights.

She is not someone I am a fan of though and I'd happily dance a jig on her grave.

OK thanks.  I asked because I heard that rumor and know of a similar indicdent happening in America.

During Nancy Reagan's funeral the preacher was prattling on at the graveside for quite a while.  Suddenly there was a violent ground tremor and a cloud a fire burst up from the open grave.

A huge demonic entity climbed up from the flames and while people at the funeral were still stunned in shock and horror it ripped the lid off the coffin,  grabbed the body of the 40th president of the untied states, slung it over his shoulder and leaped back into the flaming grave.  The ground rumbled a moment later and when people dared look into it the bottom of the grave was filled with rough dirt apparently shoved up from below.

So in wondered if something similar had happened at Thatcher's funeral.

First of all, how could the devil snatch President Reagan's body at NANCY Reagan's funeral?
Secondly, what exactly is it about opposing the bloodthirsty evil that was Soviet Communism and bringing the Iron Curtain crashing down that makes one worthy of eternal damnation?
Having opinions is fine, but obnoxiously expressing them in a hateful manner at every single turn is tiresome.

Nancy Reagan was the 40th US president.  Ronny was her puppet.

Also I seem to recall. 8 years of clkinton hating,  8 years of Obama hating and about 35 years of Democrat hating from The right. What goes around...

The doctor that circumcised Trump threw away the wrong piece.
Svengoolie 3

« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2018, 05:33:56 AM »

Um,  OK.  Let me ask this very gently and politely so as not to be accused of anything completely unfounded.  Would it be reasonable to suggest that extreme Islam might be part of the real problem that may have lead to the brexit vote?

Now before some fool accuses me of being a racist for suggesting radical islam might cause some problems note that Islam is not a race but an ideology. Also I don't like radical Christianity either.

I'm starting to get the idea that something like this is happening:

1. Countries dominated by Islam forbid birth control and contraception in any form.
2.  Countries dominated by Islam do not allow women to choose not to become pregnant if the husband wants her to.
3. As a result countries dominated by islam have higber population growth which leads to lower standards of living and opportunity than other countries.
4.  People seek to immigrate from Islamic dominated countries to ones with higher standards of living and better opportunities.
5.  Rather contradictory to common sense they try to bring with them the same beliefs,  customs,  social values,  etc,  that lead to the conditions in their native countries that made them want to flee it to the countries they flee to.
6.  The native populations of these countries do not want these values and customs imposed on them. Hence,  resentment,  hostility,  conflict.

Have I got a grip on the situation?  Am I close?  Is there anything wrong with my view?

The doctor that circumcised Trump threw away the wrong piece.
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2018, 07:38:13 AM »

While Islamic radicals may have had something to do with the vote I would suggest it was more to do with immigration from inside Europe to the UK which was causing the issue. That being said, I did spend the final few months before the vote guarding some island in the south atlantic. People who from a commonwealth country (former British Empire) can serve in the UK military. Here is something from my diary I think it was a week after the referendum...

Feeling fairly sickened about what's happening back in the UK following the referendum. That my wife has had to cancel a trip down south (to England) because of people's racism totally disgusts me. I mean do the people who voted for leaving hear this stuff on the news and think "Hey, that's what I voted for" and feel really proud of themselves or something? Argh.

Day 77: In a couple of weeks I'll be half way through my tour. Most of the guys here track the days they have left until they are going back home. Me, I count the days until I am out of the airforce (2561). There are a huge numner of people from loads of different countries down here, mostly army guys. I keep thinking if we kick them all out who the hell is going to replace them? I mean how many people who want to cut immigration will actually be prepared to get up off their arses amd actually defend our country the way these guys are. Every time I see someone from a different background I feel like apologising to them for what's going on and thinking "Wow, they are out here doing this job and back home their families are getting crap and being told to "f**k off back home". Thats one of the problems with votes. Other people have to live with the consequences of how you use yours.

For those who don't know my wife is an American citizen and in England there were reports of racist attacks against them in the weeks following the referendum, as well as any other kind of immigrants.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 07:42:09 AM by Dark Alex » Logged

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2018, 07:46:30 AM »

As for Thatcher... well the week she died a song from The Wizard Of Oz hit number one in the charts... Hey Ho The Witch Is Dead (true story that). I am pretty sure that she had no doubt organised a corporate takeover of hell, sold off shares in it to a bunch of shady buisnessmen and that Satan has had to take up busking to try and keep his family fed.

In all fairness to her she did do some things that were badly needed. I can remember the 70's a little and the UK was not in a good place and Thatcher had something to do with turning that around. The unions had gotten too powerful and were running our industry into the ground. However like anything balance is required and I think she went too far in reducing their rights.

She is not someone I am a fan of though and I'd happily dance a jig on her grave.

OK thanks.  I asked because I heard that rumor and know of a similar indicdent happening in America.

During Nancy Reagan's funeral the preacher was prattling on at the graveside for quite a while.  Suddenly there was a violent ground tremor and a cloud a fire burst up from the open grave.

A huge demonic entity climbed up from the flames and while people at the funeral were still stunned in shock and horror it ripped the lid off the coffin,  grabbed the body of the 40th president of the untied states, slung it over his shoulder and leaped back into the flaming grave.  The ground rumbled a moment later and when people dared look into it the bottom of the grave was filled with rough dirt apparently shoved up from below.

So in wondered if something similar had happened at Thatcher's funeral.

First of all, how could the devil snatch President Reagan's body at NANCY Reagan's funeral?
Secondly, what exactly is it about opposing the bloodthirsty evil that was Soviet Communism and bringing the Iron Curtain crashing down that makes one worthy of eternal damnation?
Having opinions is fine, but obnoxiously expressing them in a hateful manner at every single turn is tiresome.

Nancy Reagan was the 40th US president.  Ronny was her puppet.

Also I seem to recall. 8 years of clkinton hating,  8 years of Obama hating and about 35 years of Democrat hating from The right. What goes around...

Hate for hate, is that your solution? Then how do we ever improve anything?
Seriously, I personally found Bill Clinton to be a loathsome person but an effective President and a brilliant politician.
To the best of my knowledge, Obama was a straight arrow in his personal life, although I had profound policy differences with him.  I did find the ugly, racist attacks on his wife and daughters appalling.  We should be able to disagree without being MEAN - a trick which sadly, many Americans today never master.

Let me ask you something - were you even alive when Reagan was President?

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2018, 09:44:43 AM »

the 'brexit' vote was a referendum. referendum results are not legally binding, therefore the government can ignore the result if they want.

or alternatively they can turn the whole issue into a massive media flurry of total confusion lasting a couple of years, then proceed to do exactly what they were going to do anyway, with the added bonus of making the british public feel like their opinion/vote was actually considered and listened to. lol

Just curious,  can the people in England vote in a way that would. Force the government to follow its wishes?

don't think so, maybe Alex knows for sure? I can't remember any instance of this happening in my lifetime anyway...

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2018, 11:18:25 AM »

svengoolie - someone made a point the other day that I have no idea is true: does the fact that Islam allows for 4 wives per husband mean 3 guys have nothign to do, essentially? it would explain the surplus of fighting age males
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2018, 12:59:44 PM »

the 'brexit' vote was a referendum. referendum results are not legally binding, therefore the government can ignore the result if they want.

or alternatively they can turn the whole issue into a massive media flurry of total confusion lasting a couple of years, then proceed to do exactly what they were going to do anyway, with the added bonus of making the british public feel like their opinion/vote was actually considered and listened to. lol

Just curious,  can the people in England vote in a way that would. Force the government to follow its wishes?

don't think so, maybe Alex knows for sure? I can't remember any instance of this happening in my lifetime anyway...

In the last decade or so something was brought in for petitions. If you can present one with X number of signatures then various things have to happen based on how many signatures you get. The highest level of this means the matter has to be debated in parliment. That doesn't mean they have to do about it, just they will talk about it.

For referendums, they have a pass a law authorising each one to take place and my understanding is that the result is then legally binding, depending on how the law has been written.

Just to sort out one thing though, England is one part of the United Kingdom which covers Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland too, rather than being the whole country.

EDIT. One other thing I do remember about the Brexit vote was that the SNP tried to get the vote modified so that each individual country of the UK would have to vote for Brexit in order for it to take place, but the then Prime Minister David Cameron managed to stop that from happening. Which is a bit ironic, because if he had put it in, the vote as it stood would have been 50/50 and his political career wouldn't have ended in a humiliating defeat.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 01:03:56 PM by Dark Alex » Logged

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2018, 03:36:08 PM »

In the last decade or so something was brought in for petitions. If you can present one with X number of signatures then various things have to happen based on how many signatures you get. The highest level of this means the matter has to be debated in parliment. That doesn't mean they have to do about it, just they will talk about it.

yeah I think enough e-signatures on change.org petitions (for example) can ensure it's handed to the PM for consideration...still not mandatory for them to do anything as a result though.

there was a recent one where nearly 300,000 people signed in just 48 hours to have Toby Young fired as university regulator. he went the next day. I don't think the petition was even mentioned explicitly by theresa may, but that mustve been what swayed it, imo

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Fox Sake
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2018, 04:02:31 PM »

Well I voted to remain in the EU, and despite losing the Referendum I have major reservations about how the UK is going to extricate itself from ALL aspects of EU membership - at social, political, economic and financial aspects. 

The UK's own government is in complete turmoil with some mininsters wanting a hard Brexit, while others want a soft one; and negotiations with the EU is turning out to be farcical.

Article 50 was invoked and we are due to leave the EU at the end of March 2019 - but I suspect it will end in tears, with the UK at a distinct disadvantage on so many levels.

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2018, 04:28:19 PM »

At the moment all I (or indeed any of us in the UK) can do is hope for the best and plan for the worst. My alternative escape plan was nixxed a few years back and frankly I am not going to be working long enough to be able to redo that one (mostly because I doubt I'll live quite long enough lol).

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Brexit? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.