Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:43:09 PM
713370 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Things That Make No Sense To Me « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Things That Make No Sense To Me  (Read 5776 times)
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2018, 11:08:58 PM »

This makes no sense to me-it's a true story:

When I was a little kid-about 9 years old-me and my brother Mike were digging threw a old dump that was in back of the cornfield in back of our house. We played in rusted cars from the 1930's.
Anyway-I found a long neck whiskey bottle-I could tell by the shape-plus it said some whiskey company name on the bottom.
There was a rat in it. He was dead. the neck was full of dirt. He was in water. He was pickled.
The thing that I couldn't figure out was this was a full grown rat.

There is NO WAY he could have gotten into that bottle.

No! Way! I thought my cousin was making that up or it was an urban legend, but when I was about eleven I was visiting my mom's side of the family and my cousin Magda told me that "gypsies" have this ritual (I don't remember what she said its meaning was) wherein they take an empty wine or liquor bottle and put a small rat inside it and feed it til it grows too large to escape, then they seal it and bury it in the bog, and in doing so they've....fulfilled a rite or made a wish or cursed someone, I honestly can't remember what she said it was for, or if she knew herself, but in the back of my mind that tale of hers has rested all these years and now I come here and read what you wrote??? Holy cow, that's incredible, she was telling me the truth so long ago.

Thats f**ked up. Because when we moved to CR 358 this old lady I usta do her garden-Miss Held, had a bell tower on top of her house.She said it was to call the young kids in the house because their were gypsy wagons on the road. Wow.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2018, 11:18:06 PM »

Vengeance in general. Suppose someone kills someone I love. I kill them for revenge. How is this supposed to make me feel better? My loved one is still gone. I'm no better off than I was before.

You're so right, revenge blackens the soul, and cultures that practice vendetta wind up caught in internecine madness that can destroy everything. I think that's why forgiveness is so powerfully vital, and why it was something Jesus stressed as much as he did, even tying it into an action done for personal good as well as it being something worthy in a humanistic and practical sense, and nearly every sage in recorded history placed value on it. I often think Gandhi's famous, "An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind" ought to be a worldwide motto.

Nonetheless forgiveness can be tough, and I once spent close to twenty years furiously angry with someone, but when I forgave him, I did it in what felt like one moment, and it was probably one of the best sensations I've ever experienced.

Come to think of it, I have to see him tomorrow.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2018, 11:28:05 PM »

I dunno- I can see and understand the humanity and logic behind anti-Death penalty.

But If someone killed my kid-I'd want't him dead.
Yes-I would feel better. If I could do it myself-that would be even better.
But so what. If my child was dead my soul would all ready be black.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 11:39:28 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2018, 11:40:19 PM »

I think that perhaps we sometimes confuse vengeance and justice.
Vengeance is done in a hot rage, and is a very destructive emotion.
Justice is cool and dispassionate and sterile . . . and 100% effective.
No person executed for a crime has ever gone out and committed the same crime again.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2018, 11:48:04 PM »

I

I don't think that part is true.
When the loved ones see these f**kers die-it's passionate for them.

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2018, 11:54:41 PM »

I think that perhaps we sometimes confuse vengeance and justice.
Vengeance is done in a hot rage, and is a very destructive emotion.
No person executed for a crime has ever gone out and committed the same crime again.

Two among many professions I'd not want to undertake in this world, one is an abortionist, and the other an executioner. That said, there are many situations in life that justify killing, and I am grateful I have never been in one, though as you know I once almost was. I don't think I would have handled it well at all, assuming I survived, which I'm told we would not have. Part of my reaction to capital punishment comes from something other than logic, it is emotional and visceral, and it sickens me in a way I suppose I can't completely articulate and which other people apparently don't feel, though why so many seem to believe it makes them sound strong to embrace the death penalty, I don't know, when to me it is placing society in a position of ultimate authority over something that should lie beyond its grasp, namely the spark of life itself.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 11:57:07 PM by ER » Logged

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2018, 11:56:14 PM »

You know, as always, I respect your opinion enormously - even when, on occasion, we do disagree.
 Cheers

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2018, 12:38:58 AM »

That's just me personal. I mean- I would want to kill someone.

Yet I'm anti-abortion-but I ain't gonna blow up no abortion clinics or tell some women what to do.
I just don't believe in it that badly I would force it on some one.

I DO respect the humanity of abolishing the Death Penalty.

I just don't see any practical reason why.

I'm p**sed at something all the time-but not enough to really care.  Bluesad

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2018, 04:06:46 AM »

My only problem with the death penelty is what happens if later the person who has been executed is found to be innocent? I mean don't get me wrong sometimes there are people who just need killing to make the world a better place, but the law is far from infalliable. When a miscarriage of justice on that kind of scale is made there is no taking that back and bringing the person back.

Should the state then be on trial for murder when it is responsible for the death of an innocent person?

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2018, 07:28:49 AM »

that is the one thing that gives me pause.  I believe in a full and complete appeals process, with full access to any and all exculpatory evidence.  I also believe that if there is any chance at all that a person might be innocent, the death penalty should be taken off the table.

That being said, when there is zero doubt that the person in question committed the crime, especially the wanton taking of innocent lives, then let them perish.

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2018, 07:36:06 AM »

I would like to see the whole trial proceedure changed (not just for death penalty cases) to one where all the available evidence is presented and looked at rather than one where it is argued over by a pair of lawyers.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2018, 08:44:35 AM »

It's switched to a discussion of capital punishment, which is OK. On the record, I agree with Alex. The best reason to oppose capital punishment is because it's irreversible. A life sentence in prison is punishment enough for the worst crimes, and if new evidence comes up, it's reversible. There's NO conviction where we can be 100% certain the accused is guilty. Even confessions turn out to be coerced, evidence planted...

I also agree with Indy about the difference between justice and vengeance.

And I have to say while I don't understand the psychological "healing" that would come from vengeance, I can see a practical effect: deterrence. If someone wrongs you and you revenge yourself viciously, the next guy may think twice about crossing you. Not sure it's worth it, but that is a logical reason for vengeance, at least.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 12:43:53 PM by Rev. Powell » Logged

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2018, 11:35:19 AM »

Things That Make No Sense To Me
The Internal Combustion Engine---Absolute mystery to me.
What part about it that doesn't make sense to you? I think I can help you out with that.
I guess I have near-total ignorance of what the parts are and what their function is. I could study and learn but I never have.
Generally a diagram, parts list, and some gifs to see how parts move and function is a good start. Just note that there are some special types of engines, most notably is the rotary engine that Mazda used..

yeah no.
AoTFan
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2018, 02:00:08 PM »

Things That Make No Sense To Me
The Internal Combustion Engine---Absolute mystery to me.
What part about it that doesn't make sense to you? I think I can help you out with that.
I guess I have near-total ignorance of what the parts are and what their function is. I could study and learn but I never have.

I'd check out How Stuff Works for that one.
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Things That Make No Sense To Me « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.