Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:58:16 PM
713365 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Darkest Hour (2017) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Darkest Hour (2017)  (Read 3355 times)
Olivia Bauer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: February 08, 2018, 02:08:23 PM »

My Dad took me to see this movie a couple of days ago. He's a huge history buff so a film about Winston Churchill was definately up his alley.
For those few of you unaware, Winston Churchill was Prime Minister of the United Kingdom back in 1940. While he was far from a nice guy he was a genius leader and was instrumental in the fall of Adolph Hitler.

The film chronicles Winston Churchill's appointment as Prime Minister and is primarily about him trying to convince others that making peace with Germany is a terrible idea.
The biggest complaint I had with the film was that Churchill was often difficult to understand since when he's not giving an impassioned speech he's constantly mumbling.
According to my father this was completely accurate and Churchill was actually well known for mumbling under his breath.

The most impressive part of the film was the depiction of Churchill. While the actor doesn't have a perfect resemblance to Winston Churchill the make up department did their very best.
I'm not going to tell you who plays him and I urge you not to look it up. Go see the movie and see if you can guess who it is because I sure wasn't able to. They managed to put an actor I was very familiar with in the role of the main protagonist and I went the entire film without realizing it was him. Now that's impressive.

Churchill's quips and sarcastic banter was completely spot on. They even got in minor details about the man such as how he was known for wandering around the house in the nude after a bath and his surprisingly strong relationship with his wife Clementine despite often throwing sarcastic barbs her way. Admittedly it did have some pacing issues and I did get a little bored sometimes but that's just me. If you're a history buff that's familiar with WWII and are interested in Churchill's life you'll probably like the film more than I did. Even so I don't regret going to see it even if it isn't quite my cup of tea. (No pun intended)

6/10
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 06:02:55 PM by A.J. Bauer » Logged

Svengoolie 3

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 02:51:33 PM »

I can't say I want to see a movie that glorifies Winston Churchill.  His treatment of people in the Boer war was on par with acts that German and Japanese soldiers were hanged for in later decades.

The doctor that circumcised Trump threw away the wrong piece.
Olivia Bauer

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 04:27:24 PM »

I can't say I want to see a movie that glorifies Winston Churchill.  His treatment of people in the Boer war was on par with acts that German and Japanese soldiers were hanged for in later decades.

I wouldn't say that it glorifies him. They were clearly trying to make it as historically accurate as possible and they don't always make him out to be a good person.
I'm not familiar with the Boer war but I doubt it can over shadow the acts he did to put an end to WWII. He may not have known the holocaust was happening but he and the other allies were instrumental in stopping it. Pretty much any historical figure is responsible for heinous acts in some regard. Let's not forget the Japanese internment camps in the US.

Martin Luther King Jr. was a homophobe, Gandhi was a racist, just look back at any major figure and you'll see the worst in them.

ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 07:52:30 PM »

I can't say I want to see a movie that glorifies Winston Churchill.  His treatment of people in the Boer war was on par with acts that German and Japanese soldiers were hanged for in later decades.

I wouldn't say that it glorifies him. They were clearly trying to make it as historically accurate as possible and they don't always make him out to be a good person.
I'm not familiar with the Boer war but I doubt it can over shadow the acts he did to put an end to WWII. He may not have known the holocaust was happening but he and the other allies were instrumental in stopping it. Pretty much any historical figure is responsible for heinous acts in some regard. Let's not forget the Japanese internment camps in the US.

Martin Luther King Jr. was a homophobe, Gandhi was a racist, just look back at any major figure and you'll see the worst in them.
Well said, AJ, and thanks for the review. I want to see this soon. There's much to admire about Churchill, a truly great man in so many ways.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 07:59:13 PM by ER » Logged

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 08:58:54 PM »

This sounds good.
I like any movies that have to do with WW II.

Oh- HAD to cheat and see who plays Churchill.

That was a  Buggedout moment!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2018, 10:59:06 PM »

I enjoyed the heck out of this one, so much so that I took all 50 of my high school history students to see it!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2018, 01:32:37 AM »

Speaking as a South African historian, Churchill was a war correspondent who later joined a regiment in South Africa after escaping from a jail: he urged Britons to treat South Africans with honesty and dignity and urged a quick end to hostilities.

I see no problems here.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 06:27:07 PM »

Speaking as a South African historian, Churchill was a war correspondent who later joined a regiment in South Africa after escaping from a jail: he urged Britons to treat South Africans with honesty and dignity and urged a quick end to hostilities.

I see no problems here.

If one wants to see a film that has more on Winston Churchill in South Africa during the Boer War, then see Young Winston with Simon Ward as Churchill as an adult. I film I found enjoyable, especially the depiction of one of the last cavalry charges ever made by the British army. Though, I will not swear to the veracity of the film or the lack thereof.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Darkest Hour (2017) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.