Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:39:58 AM
713331 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Golden Child, 1986 « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The Golden Child, 1986  (Read 4175 times)
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« on: February 13, 2018, 07:57:24 AM »

Back in the day my dad, who'd been gone for a few weeks on work-related stuff, took me to see this movie, but all I did was sat there and stared at him, glad to have him home. Funny thing is, when we got back my mom freaked at him taking me to see it, saying, "That Eddie Murphy is foul-mouthed, so why would you take a seven-year-old to see his movie???"

My dad told her it was PG-rated and lots of kids and families were in the theater but my mother wasn't convinced and said he'd messed me up.  Twirling

Well this movie came on TV the other day and my children halfway watched it, and laughed at the frozen boogers line, but after thirty years I discovered The Golden Child was not so much a raunchy movie as it was just a dull one. I guess it;s what's called a vehicle?

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 02:49:39 PM »

Yeah, it's pretty stupid and juvenile.  I watched it a lot when it was pretty new and thought it was funny back then, but also felt it was generally some good ideas unfinished and the rest was Eddie Murphy just cracking jokes and being an @$$.  I also found it dumb that the wise old mystic was at times wise and gave sage advice, and other times was disgusting and immature.

Interesting that this was originally intended to be a serious movie starring Mel Gibson!  And that the young lead actress was a model that was molested by Roman Polanski.  Also, legendary boxing ref "Judo" Gene LeBell plays one of the biker gang members, who coughs in Eddie's face.

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 05:42:30 PM »

I enjoyed it at the time, but it hasn't aged well.  I think the last really good movie Eddy Murphy made (as a regular actor, not a voice actor) was COMING TO AMERICA.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 08:22:56 PM »

Also, legendary boxing ref "Judo" Gene LeBell plays one of the biker gang members, who coughs in Eddie's face.

Funny you should mention Gene LaBell- as I did a tumblr post on him recently!

That's him as Mr.Kryptonite.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Svengoolie 3

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 08:50:52 PM »

I hate eddie murphy personally and quite intensely. I watch nothing with him in it and enjoy any bad news I hear about him.

I would have liked to give "Tower heist" a try but not if he's in it.

So, no, I am not a fan of the golden child.

The doctor that circumcised Trump threw away the wrong piece.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 09:54:05 PM »

Also, legendary boxing ref "Judo" Gene LeBell plays one of the biker gang members, who coughs in Eddie's face.

Funny you should mention Gene LaBell- as I did a tumblr post on him recently!

That's him as Mr.Kryptonite.

I've walked past George Reeves' grave many times.

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 10:26:50 PM »

I've walked past George Reeves' grave many times

That's an odd hobby.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 10:33:14 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Svengoolie 3

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 11:22:58 PM »

I don't remember Mr. Kryptonite.

The doctor that circumcised Trump threw away the wrong piece.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2018, 12:50:56 PM »

I hate eddie murphy personally and quite intensely. I watch nothing with him in it and enjoy any bad news I hear about him.

I would have liked to give "Tower heist" a try but not if he's in it.

So, no, I am not a fan of the golden child.

The dubious merits of Eddie Murphy aside, let me sincerely offer you something I've learned, which is life is a happier, healthier experience when you don't carry around negativity. No one is sunshine and rainbows all the time but the manner in which you choose to base your outlook does make a big difference in your own life and the lives of others around you. Optimism also tends to reward positive people in ways they don't see coming. Negativity draws negativity. Not a put-down of you so much as advice based on experience?

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2018, 01:46:07 PM »

But... but... but...

I seriously do the whole "BROTHER NUMPTY!" thing everytime I am greeting someone at an airport for the first time. How can you not like this?

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2018, 02:23:06 PM »

But... but... but...

I seriously do the whole "BROTHER NUMPTY!" thing everytime I am greeting someone at an airport for the first time. How can you not like this?
Pray, Dark Alex, what be that?

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2018, 02:45:56 PM »

Where Charles Dance's character confronts him in the airport with the police, he runs up to him and hugs him calling him brother numpty. I do this, only shouting much, much louder.

The one time Kristi got upset with me, she learned I also have a habit of dropping to my knees, wrapping my arms around her legs and loudly begging for forgiveness. This happened in the main street of Salt Lake City. Nothing I have ever done has offended her since.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2018, 02:52:23 PM »

I kick myself for not ordering a t-shirt that I created online.  It had Sardo's picture on it, with text reading BROTHA NOOMSIE!!! on it.  Not for me, but for my brother.  The movie is a bit of a joke between us.  It would have gotten some epic-scale weird looks.

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2018, 03:40:30 PM »

Where Charles Dance's character confronts him in the airport with the police, he runs up to him and hugs him calling him brother numpty. I do this, only shouting much, much louder.

The one time Kristi got upset with me, she learned I also have a habit of dropping to my knees, wrapping my arms around her legs and loudly begging for forgiveness. This happened in the main street of Salt Lake City. Nothing I have ever done has offended her since.

Oooooooooooh! Yes, of course. Duh@me.

Y'ever see the Australian comic, John Safran, who dressed as a Mormon elder and walked around SLC telling people he wanted to talk to them about atheism? It was amusing.

! No longer available Small | Large

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2018, 03:44:09 PM »

I have never heard of that one, but I may have to mention it to Kristi.

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Golden Child, 1986 « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.