Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 01:06:42 AM
714146 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7732 Members
Latest Member: Larryfiste
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  How did you come to love bad movies? « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Author Topic: How did you come to love bad movies?  (Read 13291 times)
Raffine
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2018, 11:58:25 PM »

Perfect timing on my part.

I was a kid during the 70s growing up in a tiny town in north Alabama. We had one of the few locally owned movie theaters around, ran by the wonderful Bill Harris and his wife. During the week they'd run a current 'A' movie For us that meant stuff like BILLY JACK and WALKING TALL. These would play for months, it seemed.

Saturday was 'Kiddie Movie' time. Yes, this meant the latest live action Disney nonsense like THE COMPUTER WORE TENNIS SHOES, but was also got tons of PINK PANTHER and WOODY WOODPECKER cartoons. We also got many of the current horror movies like FROGS, DRACULA AD 1972, and NIGHT OF THE LEPUS mixed in with the Disney and the cartoons. Occasionally we'd get a classic like a GODZILLA movie or a Harryhausen SINBAD movie.

They also held several old fashioned 'Spook Shows' with old movies and people dressed like ghosts and monsters running around in the audience. A bonus was the theater was right across from the city jail. Yelling back and forth at the prisoners was a good way to pass the time when waiting for your mom to pick you up.

It was the PERFECT breeding ground for a bunch of Monster Kids and fans of weird movies.

i am SO jealous! i would have loved to see a spook show inreallife as a kid/teen...

As cheeseball as the things were then we were absolutely TERRIFIED when the lights went down and some people wearing rubber dime store masks ran up and down the aisles pretending to 'get' you.

Probably my BEST experience at that theater was when they ran IT'S ALIVE and the audience of mostly preteens started screaming at the first note of music (I know now it was Bernard Herrmann slumming for his pal Larry Cohen) and pretty much yelling and screaming for the entire movie.

! No longer available Small | Large

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  How did you come to love bad movies? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.