Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:06:02 PM
713364 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  BLACK PANTHER (2018) « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: BLACK PANTHER (2018)  (Read 5098 times)
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« on: February 21, 2018, 12:42:17 PM »

No topic yet? I'll start.

Movie is good.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Ted C
Bad Movie Lover

Turn Up the Evil!

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 04:52:58 PM »

I think it is excellent.

"Slugs?  He created slugs? I would have started with lasers, six o'clock, day one!" -- Evil, Time Bandits
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 04:55:24 PM »

I love these concise reviews. :)

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Ted C
Bad Movie Lover

Turn Up the Evil!

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 05:03:18 PM »

It somehow manages to be both highly predictable and highly entertaining at the same time.

"Slugs?  He created slugs? I would have started with lasers, six o'clock, day one!" -- Evil, Time Bandits
javakoala
Hermit of Horror
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Does ANYBODY remember this guy?

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 05:54:27 PM »

I'll wait for it to hit Netflix. Can't bring myself to spend money on more of the same MCU stuff.

I feel more like I do now than I did a while ago.
Archivist

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018, 09:49:54 PM »

It somehow manages to be both highly predictable and highly entertaining at the same time.

Hopefully not in a James Cameron Titanic/Avatar kind of way.  Wink

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018, 08:27:06 AM »

I saw the trailer for it and was appalled by the so-called African accents: no one in Africa speaks English like that. Typical BS.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018, 01:13:10 PM »

I saw the trailer for it and was appalled by the so-called African accents: no one in Africa speaks English like that. Typical BS.

Trevor, there are very few actors, black or white, who can do an acceptable English accent.

Poor Dick Van Dyke. When they asked a number of British actors, who had the worst English accent they ever heard, the majority picked Dick Van Dyke as Bert in Mary Poppins. And believe me, Americans doing an English accent have not improved since then. Though Van Dyke gets a 2nd shot at doing a proper English accent as he stars in this year's Mary Poppins Returns, not as Dawes, sr., which he played in the original film, but as Dawes, jr.

Black Panther, questions ere I see it.

Why is it considered a milestone in black filmmaking, as some see it?
From yesterday's silent films to today's Tyler Perry, there has been a market for black films and both black and white filmmakers who catered to black audiences who wanted to see them. Of all those, why is this considered a milestone in black filmmaking?

If I delved deeper, I'd probably find the answer. Though, it does seem to be one of those black films that transcends race. Which may be why it is doing so well outside of the U.S. Which brings up the next question.

Why is it doing so well overseas? Where the overseas box office is actually larger than the American box office. $427 million to $242 million or 63.8% to 36.2%

What might have been? Most of the opposition to the film, that I have seen to date, is from other blacks. Will Smith not being one of them, as he sent out over social media, congratulatory messages to several of the people involved in it. Yet if things had been different, he might have been the one receiving the congratulations. As several years ago, he wanted to do a film version of Black Panther, but ran into problems with the script, the director, and especially the CGI needed to tell the story.

Is it a success with critics? Yes, if one looks at the critical reviews on rottentomatoes.com. Where, the last time I looked, it had a rating of 96% fresh, which is an extremely high critical ranking for a film.

Are any more films similar to this coming? Likely, yes. The President of Marvel Studios said the Studios would be making more films similar to this, and even before the success of this film, there were plans to make a stand-alone Black Adam film from Shazam with mixed race actor Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, and a stand-alone Cyborg film from Justice League with Afro-American actor Ray Fisher. Which films are more likely to be made now with the success of Black Panther.

Why should one see it? A number of reasons, if none other than the last scene after the credits, apparently is the set-up for the upcoming Avengers : Infinity War.

Hopeful to see it this weekend. Now that I have recovered from the flu.
dean

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2018, 07:14:45 AM »

Why is it considered a milestone in black filmmaking, as some see it?
From yesterday's silent films to today's Tyler Perry, there has been a market for black films and both black and white filmmakers who catered to black audiences who wanted to see them. Of all those, why is this considered a milestone in black filmmaking?

If I delved deeper, I'd probably find the answer. Though, it does seem to be one of those black films that transcends race. Which may be why it is doing so well outside of the U.S.

Saw this the other day (I think it's the video, it's geoblocked where I am) but was an interesting take.

http://www.cc.com/video-playlists/qkhul9/the-daily-show-with-trevor-noah-between-the-scenes/2iqhvg

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2018, 07:25:03 AM »

Dick Van Dyke was allegedly offered the role of James Bond at one point. He kept turning it down, but the producers were insistant until he said to them "Have you heard my english accent in Mary Poppins?"

The subject was never raised again.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2018, 07:32:52 AM »

Trevor, there are very few actors, black or white, who can do an acceptable English accent.

What I meant by that is the way the African American actors speak English "as she is spoken in Africa": it sounds very put on and very forced. Oh well, Marvel won't miss my $$.

The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2018, 07:19:14 PM »

I saw it today. I'm a big Marvel comics fan (especially 1960s - 1980s). I'm also a big fan of their movies. But this one just didn't do it for me. The story sort of dragged and wasn't particularly interesting. I thought Klaue was a better nemesis than Kilmonger. The CGI was way overdone and looked very cartoonish at times. I don't hate it . . . it's an okay movie. But it doesn't measure up to most of the others in the MCU. I'd give it about 2.5 stars out of 4.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2018, 07:22:55 PM »

Sort of like growing up in Massachusetts and hearing most actors make dreadful attempts at the accent. The Wahlbergs, Afflecks and Matt Damon know how to do it . . . but that's because they come from here. Most others sound like they're really forcing it.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Archivist

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2018, 12:03:13 AM »

What I meant by that is the way the African American actors speak English "as she is spoken in Africa": it sounds very put on and very forced. Oh well, Marvel won't miss my $$.

Interesting you'd say that.  I haven't heard enough original African accents to know the difference, but Chadwick Boseman supposedly put a lot of study into the regional accents of where Wakanda is supposed to be.  He wanted to make it as authentic as he could.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2018, 05:22:49 AM »

Interesting you'd say that.  I haven't heard enough original African accents to know the difference, but Chadwick Boseman supposedly put a lot of study into the regional accents of where Wakanda is supposed to be.  He wanted to make it as authentic as he could.

We have a sports commentator in SA who is so hopeless at the English language that he pronounces the word "bat" - as in cricket - as "bed".  Buggedout

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  BLACK PANTHER (2018) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.