Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:44:29 AM
714213 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  War movies, the good, the bad, the ugly. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: War movies, the good, the bad, the ugly.  (Read 9389 times)
Svengoolie 3
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: February 24, 2018, 05:49:11 AM »

Talk about war movies. Cold war movies are eligible for this topic.

"The longest day" is a great ww2 movie. Remember this movie is a true war story, the things seen in the movie happened. Yes, nuns calmly walked into an active combat zone and began treating the wounded of both sides under fire. This movie is based on true stories.

"Failsafe" is very likely the best cold war movie ever made. A very believable and plausible story of how a series of mistakes, compounded by the distrust both the east and west had for each other, could lead to a nuclear holocaust, and the price both sides might have to pay to avoid all out war. A true film noir with great actors delivering great performances. The slow progression from "something strange is going on" to "red alert" to "we can't stop this!" to the horror both that sides have brought the world to the brink of apocalypse and the price that must be paid to avoid total destruction creates an ever escalating tension that mercilessly grabs the audience by the throat and never lets go.

"The green berets" Ugh. A sack of lies, jingoism, hate, emotional exploitation and warmongering propaganda that Joseph Goebbels would have been proud of, the only movie made about the Vietnam war by Americans during Vietnam, starring draft dodger john Wayne pushing the "better dead than red" mindset and portraying the enemy as so vile and subhuman they can only be viewed in shadows.  I've known vietnam vets who hated this movie. According to popular rumor a Vietnam vet who was this movie met Jane Fonda at a Hollywood party and told her that movie was such a pack of lies that someone needed to tell the american people the truth, inspiring her trip to Vietnam.

What war movies do you like or hate?

« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 02:53:01 PM by Svengoolie 3 » Logged

The doctor that circumcised Trump threw away the wrong piece.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 06:00:03 AM »

SAVING PRIVATE RYAN is perhaps my all time favorite.
I also like THE PATRIOT (yes, as a historian I know it is highly inaccurate but it's just a fun flick all around!), GLORY, THE LOST BATTALION, and HBO's THE PACIFIC series.  One I watch every year is the 2004 version of THE ALAMO; it's the most accurate Alamo movie ever made, beautifully filmed and well cast, and I still don't get why it flopped at the box office.  For medieval warfare, I love Kenneth Branagh's HENRY V.  I think it is the best scree adaptation of any Shakespeare play ever.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 06:31:00 AM »

Not a huge fan of war movies in general, but ones I do like are

A Bridge Too Far. A military operation grand in scale, but not enough time spent planning it. Such a waste of lives.

Zulu. Overwhelming numbers of brave Zulu's try to evict a bunch of foreign soldiers from their homeland, but come up against superior technology.

We Were Soldiers. Just for the Sergeant Major "What are you now, the god damn weather man?"

Flag Of Our Fathers / Letters From Iwo Jima. The sad tale of what happened to the men who raised the flag on Iwo Jima after the war. And then a slightly unusual film to come out of the States showing the side of the war from the Japanese side.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 07:32:16 AM »

I have to agree with the GREEN BERETS being a pile of s**t! John Wayne glamrorizing Vietnam? Christ onna cross.
I also agree with Indy about SAVING PRIVATE RYAN.
 And Dark Alex with WE WERE SOLDIERS and FLAG OF OUR FATHERS and LETTERS FROM IWO JIMA.
I would also recommend-

.FULL METAL JACKET-it's Kubrick.
.APOCALYPSE NOW of course.
.FURY- Very underrated.
. and here it goes-  the yes it's exploitive and in no way realistic- INGLORIOUS BASTERDS
.TORA! TORA! TORA! is one of my favorite films since I was  a kid. I remember watching it on the big consul TV (the one that had the record player and radio attached that sat on the living room floor and took up half the f**king room).
.GUNG HO- yep the propoaganda thing with Robert Mitchum saying " I hate japs." And the buck-toothed thick lensed glasses wearing Japanese pilots-so wrong!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 08:01:14 AM »

And of course DR. STRANGELOVE, FAIL SAFE and the BEDFORD INCIDENT.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Pacman000
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 10:00:10 AM »

And in an ironic twist, The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly was actually a war movie.

! No longer available Small | Large
Svengoolie 3

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2018, 03:04:45 PM »

Yes, the Bedford incident was a decent cold war movie that was basically "Moby dick goes nuclear".

Dr. Strangelove was a great movie but I have a major issue with it, the studio cheated failsafe by filing a false lawsuit to block its release until after Dr. Strangelove. Strangelove kind of ended the cold war hysteria movie era so failsafe never got its due recognition. That's more of an issue with the morals of the studio execs, not the movie per se'.

No one mentioned " On the beach", which was a great movie but very depressing. Still, it had a message.

Full metal jacket deserves credit for being realistic, according to a marine who was in Vietnam. It also established a trend: put R. Lee Ermy in a movie and have him killed. The audience will love it. Kirby must have been the first one to look at Ermy and say "There's a guy people want to see killed!"

javakoala
Hermit of Horror

Does ANYBODY remember this guy?

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2018, 04:24:02 PM »

Full metal jacket deserves credit for being realistic, according to a marine who was in Vietnam. It also established a trend: put R. Lee Ermy in a movie and have him killed. The audience will love it. Kirby must have been the first one to look at Ermy and say "There's a guy people want to see killed!"

He was in THE BOYS OF COMPANY C. His first feature in fact. He was about the only sympathetic person the main characters ran across, and he was a hard ass in that one as well.

I feel more like I do now than I did a while ago.
javakoala
Hermit of Horror

Does ANYBODY remember this guy?

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2018, 04:35:19 PM »

My favorite war/military movie is THE BOFORS GUN.

It is ultimately a battle of wills between a soldier determined to meet the family curse of no male living past 30 (if I remember correctly) and his commander who just wants to get reassigned. Fantastic performances. Sadly, not a title readily available in the United States on DVD or BD.

I feel more like I do now than I did a while ago.
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2018, 11:05:34 PM »

I add Paths of Glory, Schindler's List, Duck Soup, Life is Beautiful, The Great Dictator, Dunkirk, The Battle of Algiers, The Deer Hunter, Platoon, The 49th Parallel and Great of the Fireflies to the list

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2018, 09:35:34 AM »

Oooh!  I forgot my new favorite, DARKEST HOUR!  Downright brilliant!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2018, 02:26:45 AM »

The good:

SHANGANI PATROL (1970): the true story of the battle of the Shangani River in Rhodesia in 1893.
ZULU (1964): the battle of Rorke's Drift in 1879.
MAJUBA (1968): the battle of Majuba Hill in 1881 between the British and the South Africans.
THE GUNS OF NAVARONE (1961): the ultimate anti-war film.
THE STICK (1988): South African war / horror film - very disturbing.
THE WILD GEESE (1978)

The bad:

THE EAGLE HAS LANDED: terrible film from a brilliant book.
VON RYAN'S EXPRESS: if you've read the book, the film is crap.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 03:52:54 AM by Trevor » Logged

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Svengoolie 3

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2018, 03:04:27 AM »

Das boot was a good war film from "the other side".

Also in the " from the other side" category we have "Enemy at the gates". Maybe not absolutely historically accurate but a good movie reminding us that, love it or shove it, the Russian people fought the Nazis too.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 03:24:42 AM by Svengoolie 3 » Logged

Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2018, 03:50:44 AM »

Not a huge fan of war movies in general, but ones I do like are

A Bridge Too Far. A military operation grand in scale, but not enough time spent planning it. Such a waste of lives.

Sounds like most of Richard Attenborough's career  Wink

Zulu. Overwhelming numbers of brave Zulu's try to evict a bunch of foreign soldiers from their homeland, but come up against superior technology.

Brilliant film: inaccurate in many historical respects but a thrilling film. 

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Pacman000
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2018, 12:39:41 PM »

No Man Is An Island - Interesting story of an American soldier who survived on an island after it was taken over by the Japanese. (He had help.) Based, probably loosely, on a true story.

Submarine movies are usually good. Saw K-19: The Widowmaker a few weeks ago. That was horrific.  Buggedout Bluesad

I remember enjoying Memphis Belle, but I haven't seen it in a looong time so I can't say if I'd still like it.

The Great Escape is good. (Now I'll have that song stuck in my head for awhile.  Smile)

Do Holocaust movies count?
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  War movies, the good, the bad, the ugly. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.