Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:58:34 AM
714351 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  SCIENCE! « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SCIENCE!  (Read 2016 times)
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« on: February 26, 2018, 10:02:53 AM »

Love it or hate it science encompasses everything that is, was, or will be, and in a surprise twist, all is one and now is forever!

Check out this video from right on the equator in Ecuador.

To break down this demonstration of the Coriolis effect in action, when the presenter drops leaves into the tub directly on Earth's equator, there is an absence of the spin seen everywhere on the planet, the leaves simply descend straight down the drain.

When she moves north or south of the equator even a very short distance, a clockwise or counterclockwise spin is evident. I know (or hope) we all know this, but seeing it in action still makes me smile, and I think this is cool.

! No longer available Small | Large

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 08:18:02 PM »

I have always wondered about that!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
WingedSerpent
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 09:28:27 PM »

I find the biological sciences much more interesting then the physical ones. 

Here, learn about a type of shark that lives for over 500 years.

! No longer available Small | Large

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
frank
Bad Movie Lover

"I'm a big boy now, Johnny."

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 08:29:35 AM »

Sorry to say, but the Coriolis effect does not work on small bodies such as water in a basin. As you can see in the video, she pours in the water from different corners when she moves away from the equator (the second time you can even see the leaf spin in the "correct" direction beforehand). When she drains the basin on the equator the water had time to settle before.
You can find more elaborate explanatons why it's a myth on the internet.

......"Now toddle off and fly your flying machine."
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 08:38:20 AM »

Sorry to say, but the Coriolis effect does not work on small bodies such as water in a basin. As you can see in the video, she pours in the water from different corners when she moves away from the equator (the second time you can even see the leaf spin in the "correct" direction beforehand). When she drains the basin on the equator the water had time to settle before.
You can find more elaborate explanatons why it's a myth on the internet.

Then why does the water spin in flushed toilet bowls and in sinks when the plug is pulled? Those are tiny collections of water. In Kenya the effect was replicated in an even smaller bucket. At my home there is counterclockwise drainage but I recall in New Zealand and Brazil we watched fascinated by the clockwise spin.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 08:44:09 AM by ER » Logged

frank
Bad Movie Lover

"I'm a big boy now, Johnny."

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2018, 09:19:00 AM »

In short, the Coriolis effect does affect small bodies, but you need extremely careful and elaborate settings to detect that. Note that the spinning itself is not the effect, but the prediction of the direction. In everyday life, the spinning direction is much more affected by such things like the shape of the sink, the position of the faucet relative to the sink, the position of the outlet relative to the sink, etc. Thus, it is not suprising to see different (constant) directions in the spinning in different households, it just has rarely anything to do with the hemisphere. We checked that back in our highschool and had different directions within the same building.

Here are two links on the general validity of the statement but also the drawback of showing it with something like a sink.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/can-somebody-finally-sett/

https://www.ems.psu.edu/~fraser/Bad/BadCoriolis.html

......"Now toddle off and fly your flying machine."
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2018, 09:42:21 AM »

Interesting articles! I wish I knew more about physics and astronomy but they weren't my areas.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 10:58:22 AM by ER » Logged

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  SCIENCE! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.