Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:43:27 AM
713400 Posts in 53059 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  cooking/food thread. i can't find my old one, lol! « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Author Topic: cooking/food thread. i can't find my old one, lol!  (Read 39395 times)
316zombie
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2018, 10:48:10 PM »

you guys really make me giggle! poor folks food is REAL comfort food to me, from any country.
BUT ,  i do make more high end stuff for my clients when they need to impress THEIR clients. mostly they like my food for themselves at home though.
claws
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2018, 07:20:33 AM »

My lunch today: Bavarian Brotzeit "platter"

Clockwise:

marinated Blutwurst (Blood sausage) with onions & pickles
Smoked Bratwurst
Laugenbrezel (Lye pretzel)
Fleischsalat (Sausagesalad in creamy mayo)
Pork roast
Bavarian Blu (Blue cheese)
Obatzda (Cheese & Butter spread with leek flavor)

This covers about the basics. What's missing are radishes and a tomato or two. I did have horseradish with the pork roast but its not pictured.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2018, 08:37:06 AM »

RECIPES, please!!

When I cook, I never use recipes (unless I'm making something for the first time). For example, when I make spaghetti sauce I don't measure anything. I do it all by taste and keep adding ingredients until it tastes the way I want it.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
316zombie
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2018, 05:33:30 PM »

i think most home cooks do too, i know i do at home. but when i'm at work, i have to be able to provide an exact recipe for the other cooks. even more so when i was running the main catering kitchen for the company i worked for, because i had to provide print copies  for 23 cafeterias as well, and provide them to the various dieticians at daycares, nursing homes, etc..
   and for the online cookbooks i contribute to, as well as the one i'm writing, lol!
i'm happy with just a list of ingredients and a general idea of amounts, i can go from there, i've done it for years. people are always asking me to create a recipe for a dish the had at a restaurant, and as long as i know what's init, i can experiment until i get it right. i write down all the experiments too, for a future book, i think i'm going to call it" epic fail", lol!
  you should see some of my epic fail recipes from way back when i started making my own sauces, they are hilarious! i wish i had taken pictures of my tasters faces for a few of them!

frank
Bad Movie Lover

"I'm a big boy now, Johnny."

« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2018, 04:28:53 AM »

thanks all! and alex,before i post the chimi recipes,do you have any spice triggers with your gout issue? i've been learning to change up recipes to avoid gout triggers recently.
  frank, i would love it if you could find it, but no worries if you can't, okay?
dean, it wasn't tzaziki, no cucumbers in it. but it WAS green,a rather bright green,actually. and fairly thin,almost like a jus,rather than a sauce. and it had tan and black speckles in it, the tan was the bitter part, i think. pretty sure the black was just crushed peppercorn.
   john,do you use red or yellow or sweet onions for caramelizing?  this reminds me, i should post my homemade french onion dip recipe, it is addictive.

Still not sure about the "savory bread pudding", but it should be some sort of "strata". I think it's something everyone has a personal recipe for, but you could start from here:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/projects/well/healthy-recipes/recipes/savory-bread-pudding-with-tomatoes-and-herbs

Personally, I would make a tomato sauce as above instead of sliced tomatos, and probably add the anchovies in there. Otherwise, it sounds delicious - I might try it myself soon.

......"Now toddle off and fly your flying machine."
316zombie
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2018, 06:39:21 PM »

yup, that's pretty much it. and definitely a sauce instead. thank you! Cheers
justme2013
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2018, 05:38:35 PM »

hiya,and congratulations mama! what is cooking bacon, please?

Thanks! and cooking bacon is just bacon scraps.

http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=72565.0
316zombie
« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2018, 07:10:01 PM »

ah, i see! my butcher calls it hillbilly bacon, she's originally from tennessee. i love it for making bacon bits for salads, and cook it" chunky" for casseroles and to go in beans. when i can keep the old guy from eating it all first, lol!
  i have some expat friends in various parts of "oz" , they moan constantly about not being able to get regular breakfast bacon,you know, the kind that will cook so crisp it breaks. can you get that in  the UK?
claws
« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2018, 07:15:31 AM »

Here is one of my own creations, combining mac 'n' cheese with classic swiss cheese fondue ingredients.

Mac 'n' Swiss Cheese Fondue

What you need:

2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp flour
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup white wine
2 tbsp cherry schnapps
2 cups grated Gruyère cheese
2 cups grated Emmental cheese
1 1/2 tbsp salt
2 tbsp smoked paprika
2 tbsp coarsely ground pepper (black & white)
2 tbsp garlic powder
nutmeg
4 cups cooked (al dente) macaroni

Melt butter on medium heat, add flour and stir. Add liquids while stirring (heavy cream, wine, schnapps). Stir and add cheeses, spices and cooked macaroni. Transfer to buttered baking dish and into the pre-heated oven at 350 F for about 30 minutes.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 08:18:30 AM by claws » Logged
justme2013
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2018, 04:23:46 PM »

ah, i see! my butcher calls it hillbilly bacon, she's originally from tennessee. i love it for making bacon bits for salads, and cook it" chunky" for casseroles and to go in beans. when i can keep the old guy from eating it all first, lol!
  i have some expat friends in various parts of "oz" , they moan constantly about not being able to get regular breakfast bacon,you know, the kind that will cook so crisp it breaks. can you get that in  the UK?

we can get it here, they call it streaky bacon.
316zombie
« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2018, 06:32:45 PM »

apparently streaky bacon in oz is what you and i would call fatback. they complain that it's too chewy, lol!
   i like that recipe, and the look of the casserole, but i'm curious about the cherry schnapps?
claws
« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2018, 12:47:34 AM »

cherry schnapps = fruit brandy!  Smile
316zombie
« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2018, 05:48:07 PM »

ah, i see. thanks! dekuyper shnapps is different, i think? i LOVE hot damm,and apple pucker!
claws
« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2018, 06:57:11 AM »

Tried my hand at lunch meal preps for work today, meals that are good to keep four days in the fridge. I did a variation of "buddha bowls" and it was totally easy to do.
I filled four food storage containers in layers with

curry rice
broiled bell pepper strips and red onions (mixed with olive oil, salt, pepper)
fried chickpeas (olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder, smoked paprika, cayenne)
cauliflower salad (store bought, jar)
fried chicken filet sliced (bbq marinated)
crumbled feta

for dressing I used roasted garlic hummus with a little water and lemon juice added, enough so I can pour it.

Had some before work and it was pretty good.
316zombie
« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2018, 02:50:53 PM »

i wish i could do stuff like that for curtis's lunches, but he's on the road 4 days a week, sometimes 5. but this would be great for my BFF! could you post how you do your curried rice, please?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  cooking/food thread. i can't find my old one, lol! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.