Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:29:30 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  HOLLYWOOD gets really SERIOUS. But, it doesn't work. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: HOLLYWOOD gets really SERIOUS. But, it doesn't work.  (Read 5175 times)
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« on: March 16, 2018, 10:11:53 PM »

I watched SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER which is a lot of fun, but stupid.  This is supposed to be about madness, homosexual procurement, cannibalism, and other psychological subjects.   BounceGiggle
Great performances by KATHERINE HEPBURN and ELIZABETH TAYLOR... MONTGOMERY CLIFT is in there too.  I think the script was by GORE VIDAL based on TENNESSEE WILLIAMS' play... who denounced the movie.  
 Lookingup  "...With there open gobbling mouths...  "
Small | Large

What are other HOLLYWOOD gets really SERIOUS movies... that suck?  
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 10:20:30 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 10:17:32 PM »

LOVE STORY.  I dunno-the WASPS falling in love..gimme a break. Who cares?  And so cheezy.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 10:19:36 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 10:26:09 PM »

LOVE STORY.  I dunno-the WASPS falling in love..gimme a break. Who cares?  And so cheezy.

Jenny is an Italian American Catholic girl.   TeddyR  I think...  Question 

I read that book when I was like 8 or 9!!!  It's FILTHY!!!   Drink Thumbup 
That dumb movie, this part always makes me think of my brother and his wife: 

Small | Large

I don't like that movie, but I always get misty at that part... 

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 10:48:01 PM »

Pretty much every self involved drama from the 70's. Anything with Sandy Dennis or Elliot Gould or Art Garfunkel counts.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Pacman000
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 11:13:31 PM »

I watched SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER which is a lot of fun, but stupid.  This is supposed to be about madness, homosexual procurement, cannibalism, and other psychological subjects.   BounceGiggle
Great performances by KATHERINE HEPBURN and ELIZABETH TAYLOR... MONTGOMERY CLIFT is in there too.  I think the script was by GORE VIDAL based on TENNESSEE WILLIAMS' play... who denounced the movie.  
 Lookingup  "...With there open gobbling mouths...  "
http://youtu.be/zuWyRZ4Agz4 

Lobotomies. I know you mention "other psychological subjects," but lobotomies seem to be a big deal, so they're worth mentioning by name.
316zombie
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2018, 04:29:51 PM »

y'all are killin me here, i LOVE that movie! but seriously, the play IS better. i love tennessee williams in any form. rather strange, considering i don't like depressing stuff at all.
   a "get serious"movie that sucked for me is "sybil". i learned to appreciate it in a way, but it just irked me no end,having read the book. i didn't feel like it was serious ENOUGH, if that makes sense.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2018, 06:08:25 PM »

Lookingup  "...With there open gobbling mouths...  "
http://youtu.be/zuWyRZ4Agz4  

Lobotomies. I know you mention "other psychological subjects," but lobotomies seem to be a big deal, so they're worth mentioning by name.
Yes, that's what TAYLOR's character is threatened with.  It's hard to take a serious subject seriously in a serious Hollywood movie.  
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 06:15:45 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2018, 06:14:02 PM »

y'all are killin me here, i LOVE that movie! but seriously, the play IS better. i love tennessee williams in any form. rather strange, considering i don't like depressing stuff at all.
   a "get serious"movie that sucked for me is "sybil". i learned to appreciate it in a way, but it just irked me no end,having read the book. i didn't feel like it was serious ENOUGH, if that makes sense.
I like SYBIL and my family and I have made fun of it for years...  TeddyR  "the people, the people..."  I love SYBIL... !!!
It's not nearly as complex (or long) as the book.  BUT it's better than that other movie, which TCM has been showing a lot lately, THE THREE FACES OF EVE.  I like it, but it doesn't date well. 

Pacman000
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2018, 06:40:21 PM »

How about Mommie Dearest? It's well made, but some things are so over the top it's hard to believe.
And the end makes it seem like the daughter made it all up casue she was left out of the will.

no

WIRE

HANGERS!!!!!!
316zombie
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2018, 08:25:19 PM »

oh definitely john, three faces of eve is okay,but it makes no sense if you know anything about MPD. at least sybil explained the syndrome better.
 pacman,i have never seen that movie, oddly enough. it's one of those" not that important, i'll get to it" movies that you never DO get around to watching. am i alone with doing that with movies, i wonder?
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2018, 09:08:20 PM »

oh definitely john, three faces of eve is okay,but it makes no sense if you know anything about MPD. at least sybil explained the syndrome better.
 pacman,i have never seen that movie, oddly enough. it's one of those" not that important, i'll get to it" movies that you never DO get around to watching. am i alone with doing that with movies, i wonder?
You are not alone.  I have, however, seen the movie.  It ruined FAYE DUNAWAY's career, presumably, but that could have been circumstance, and age.  Age.  Culture is evolving.  Yet everyone wants to look at beauty and youth. 

Pacman000
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2018, 10:10:16 PM »

I buy movies all the time, then never have a chance to watch them. :(
316zombie
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2018, 10:17:16 PM »

see,now that i don't do. but that's because i'm an ebayer. if i buy it , i watch it. usually twice. if it isn't worth a 3rd viewing,it hits the auction block.
   but i have netflix queues a mile long, lol!
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2018, 08:46:00 AM »

see,now that i don't do. but that's because i'm an ebayer. if i buy it , i watch it. usually twice. if it isn't worth a 3rd viewing,it hits the auction block.

I buy a lot of movies (well, not as many as I used to, but I still buy them). I usually watch them within a week or two (except the 50 or 100 movie packs, which I watch slowly over many years). I never get rid of any of them. I just keep increasing my collection. I also have a lot of movies in my Netflix streaming queue (more than 400, I think?)

I recently got these blu-rays (cashed in American Express points on Amazon to get them):

* JUSTICE LEAGUE (3-D)
* DERANGED (I have an uncut VHS copy that my father transferred to DVD-R for me . . . but I found out the blu-ray is also uncut, so I upgraded)
* ZOMBIE
* IT
* VICTOR FRANKENSTEIN

Keep 'em coming, I say!

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2018, 08:57:29 AM »

* DERANGED (I have an uncut VHS copy that my father transferred to DVD-R for me . . . but I found out the blu-ray is also uncut, so I upgraded)

DERANGED is one of the best movies ever made

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  HOLLYWOOD gets really SERIOUS. But, it doesn't work. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.