Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:46:31 PM
713364 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Gimmicky video packages. « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gimmicky video packages.  (Read 3199 times)
Svengoolie 3
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: March 17, 2018, 02:13:49 AM »

On a post i just made i referred to a movie called "frankenhooker" having a gimmick on it's VCR box. It was a little "push here" spot that if pressed triggeed a voice chip that recited a line from the movie, "Wanna date?"

A movie who's title escapes me had a monster on the cover of the vcr box that looked like a mummy/frankenstein combo with greed LED eyes. Push the press here spot and the eyes flashed green for a few seconds.

I don't think anyone ever put a sound chip on a vcr box of "Blazing saddles" that played an excerpt from the campfire scene but it's a pity they didn't.

I don't recall a dvd  with a gimmick case, so maybe gimmick video packaging is an art that had a brief shelf life. Too bad. Bluesad

I could see a dvd of star trek first contact who's case when opened played "resistance is futile, you will be assimilated." I don't think it ever happened.

The doctor that circumcised Trump threw away the wrong piece.
claws
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2018, 05:23:27 AM »

I recall Microwave Massacre (1983) and The Dead Pit (1989) VHS boxes having a push for glowing lights gimmick.

I liked the hanging/counter display of The Amityville Curse (1990) at one of my favorite rental places. It was a replica of the Amityville house with blinking lights inside. Funny thing is the actual Amityville house is not featured in The Amityville Curse   TeddyR
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 09:52:16 AM »

I've got a VHS of Jurassic Park in a box made to look like an artefact from an archaeological dig.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
claws
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2018, 10:00:33 AM »

I don't recall a dvd  with a gimmick case

There was Anchor Bay's The Evil Dead (Book Of The Dead Limited Edition) DVD with a latex rubber casing resembling the book of the dead. This edition is notorious for the rubber starting to smell and shrivel after some years   Bluesad
Svengoolie 3

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2018, 12:34:24 PM »

Well,  yeah,  special shaped packages are still around.  I remember the battle star galactica cylon head shaped dvd case.  I guess the little electronic gadget gimmick is over tho.

The doctor that circumcised Trump threw away the wrong piece.
316zombie
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2018, 04:35:40 PM »

i have the phantasm set that's inside the deathball, it's a PITA to get the discs out though.
Pacman000
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2018, 06:45:41 PM »

A few movies or TV shows are sold in metal tins. Saw a box set in an actual wooden box the other day.

Speed Racer Inc used to sell their DVDs with small extras. One came with a little car; another in a circular tin. They're gone now; the rights reverted to the show's creators who licensed it to Funimation, I think.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2018, 06:04:07 AM »

I have The Blind Dead DVD set that comes in a coffin package:

I have the Land of the Giants set that comes in a cage package:

I have The Man from U.N.C.L.E. collection that comes in a briefcase:

And The Beyond tin box:

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
beat_truck
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2018, 07:15:41 PM »

The Wicker Man came in a limited edition wooden box with the theatricaland extended versions.  I lucked onto my copy on ebay at a really reasonable BIN price.

I'm too lazy to look for it, but I think I have a VHS copy of King Kong that I picked up at the thrift store where the cover actually roars when King Kong is pressed.
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2018, 11:51:42 PM »

I don't recall a dvd  with a gimmick case

There was Anchor Bay's The Evil Dead (Book Of The Dead Limited Edition) DVD with a latex rubber casing resembling the book of the dead. This edition is notorious for the rubber starting to smell and shrivel after some years   Bluesad
I have it and I can confirm that it doesn't hold up over time.  My has started to decay and fall apart. 

It's s shame too, because I really liked having a necronomicon. 
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2018, 08:37:59 PM »

How 'bout all them HOLOGRAM video covers?
Like Jack Frost-- tilt it one way, and he's a pleasant, smiling snowman.. tilt it another way, and he's EVIL!!!

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2018, 09:30:24 PM »

There was a King Kong VHS that roared when you pressed on it.

Small | Large

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2018, 07:30:48 AM »

http://youtu.be/Oz11AmEPkuA

My stomach roars when you press on it.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2018, 01:22:04 PM »

How about these VHS tapes.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/home-video/3489593/custom-horror-movie-vhs-tapes-way-cool/

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Raffine

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2018, 06:21:22 AM »

http://youtu.be/Oz11AmEPkuA

I had that one. The roar feature finally wore out and it just went "Gnnnnn..".

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Gimmicky video packages. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.