Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:20:57 AM
714232 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Fond childhood badmovie memories. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Fond childhood badmovie memories.  (Read 4466 times)
Svengoolie 3
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: March 24, 2018, 05:11:50 AM »

Let's share some fond childhood memories of bad movies...

When I was just a l'il snotling,  I watched "war of the monsters" which was the best Camera movie ever made because it was the only one without a Kenny.   

The bad monster shot a rainbow ray out of it's back.  When I was a snotling I thought it was the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen.  I was literally enraptured by that rainbow ray.

Looking at it recently I can see why a single digiter would be totally overawed by it.

WotM seems to be PD now,  you can see it all over the net.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=War+of+the+Monsters+Japan&FORM=VRIBEP

The doctor that circumcised Trump threw away the wrong piece.
claws
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 06:04:59 AM »

with the exception of a few at the theater, I wasn't exposed to genuine bad movies until my early teens during video rental days. In my pre-teens I have fond memories of watching Giant of the 20th Century (1977) and King Kong Escapes (1967) on the big screen. I was impressed by both. Also at the theater: It Lives Again (1978), The Incredible Melting Man (1977), The Manitou (1977), The Dark (1979), Nightwing (1979) and Night Creature (1978). I was probably too young to be amused by the badness. In fact, The Manitou scared me half to death as a young one.

Don Dohler's Fiend (1980) was our first real turd rental. It was so bad that everyone in my family watching it was actually p**sed off.
Raffine

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 07:53:50 AM »

Seeing Larry Cohen's IT'S ALIVE at our local small town theater with about 100 other pre-teens one Saturday afternoon.

Everybody in the audience started SCREAMING as soon as the eerie music cranked up. Kids screamed all through the movie. Naturally when ever the Monster Baby appeared (or it was even hinted it might appear) the screaming was deafening!

It was many years later that I realized the eerie music that got everybody screaming and holloring was in fact composed by my hero Bernard Herrmann, sort of slumming for his pal Larry Cohen and reportedly enjoying himself immensely.

At the same theater a couple of years before we got treated to a couple of 'Spook Shows' with REAL LIVE MONSTERS. They'd show some cheapo flick and periodically turn off the movie while teenagers wearing monster masks would run around in the audience.

They also ran DRACULA AD 1972 and we all got to say the Dracula Society Pledge of Allegiance before the movie started, which I'm sure would have thrilled our Southern Baptist  moms if they'd known about it.

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 10:01:50 AM »

The musical remake of Lost Horizon (1973) *shudder*

I saw it when I was six: hated it and became a bad movie fan for life.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2018, 03:53:00 PM »

I spent many Saturdays during the late 1960s and early 70s watching matinees at our local movie theater. I saw some really bad movies (especially the cheesy releases from Childhood Productions and similar junk-merchants). I ended up buying them on DVD when I got older! One of my favorites is THE WONDERFUL LAND OF OZ (note the high-grade production values):

Before long, I discovered the wonders of the drive-in. During the 1970s and 80s I saw such classics as DON'T GO IN THE HOUSE, KANSAS CITY BOMBER, THE FIFTH FLOOR, and THUNDER AND LIGHTNING (David Carradine and Kate Jackson? WHAT????)

I also spent a lot of time (primarily on weekend afternoons and evenings) watching sci-fi and horror movies on local television stations. The movies were often scratchy-looking and faded. The TV stations would break in with commercials about every 10 minutes. I saw a lot of Universal, Hammer, AIP, and Toho features.

Then the emergence of home video opened the floodgates! Companies like these kept my mind saturated with cinematic garbage. And I loved it!

Bring back the old days!

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
316zombie
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2018, 06:09:44 PM »

burgo and i grew up in the same era and area, well different drivein and cinema, lol! so my list is pretty close to his, right off the bat.
  some of my coolest bad movies though,were viewed at the grange hall/volunteer fire department building half a block from my house. they were all trashy mexican kids movies, i can't think of the guy's name who imported them i want to say his last name was murray? i loved them!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2018, 06:31:55 PM »

Back in 1970, we had uhf channel 28, out of Mishawaka (did I spell that right)? which had Double Creature Feature, and channel 41 out of Kalamazoo that had Shock Theater.  All on Saterday. Shock started at 11:00-and Double Creature Feature started at 12;00- so if the movie on Shock sucked-you could got to 28 and check them movies out! It was great! Almost all the movies on Shock were BAD- and Creature Feature showed the old Universal movies!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2018, 06:37:58 PM »

We were just kids-so we made sure on Monster Movie night-me and Mike and Glenn- we made sure we had lotsa Bub's Daddy bubble gum!
We saw the BRAIN THAT WOULDNT DIE on Shock one night and my step brother Jimmy Bonarski screamed and ran out of the room when the monster broke out of the closet. Me and Richie cringed-but we watched it! This was about 1974.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Svengoolie 3

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2018, 07:24:25 PM »

I spent many Saturdays during the late 1960s and early 70s watching matinees at our local movie theater. I saw some really bad movies (especially the cheesy releases from Childhood Productions and similar junk-merchants). I ended up buying them on DVD when I got older! One of my favorites is THE WONDERFUL LAND OF OZ (note the high-grade production values):

Do not confuse this with the truly excellent abd tragically underrated 'return to Oz. ''

The doctor that circumcised Trump threw away the wrong piece.
316zombie
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2018, 02:14:41 AM »

testing...
316zombie
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2018, 02:17:07 AM »

we're back! i hope? so now i have to go to bed, dammit. see y'all later today, i hope!  Cheers
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2018, 11:05:56 AM »

Me and my friend had a vhs tape of Space Warriors 3000 which is a hilarious/ awesomely dubbed Ultraman movie. We watched it thousands of times somehow it never got old.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2018, 08:37:13 PM »

The Strand in Paw Paw Michigan (which is STILL there and plays movies!) usta have double feature matinee's on Saterdays. I saw RACE WITH THE DEVIL and HOMEBODIES, PSYCHIC KILLER and NIGHT OF THE HAWK, DR.PHIBES RISES AGAIN and DRACULA AD 1972,--so fun. Dad would drop us-(me and Mike and Glenn) off at about noon-we'd be there most of the day. He would give us the movie fare (50 cents!) plus 2 dollars apiece for popcorn and candy! Sitting in the balcony was the best (this is an old 1920's era theater) because you could toss popcorn at the kids below.
 Memories...like the backstreets of my mind....misty muddy memmmorieeees....! Of the way we waaaas...!

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2018, 05:39:00 AM »

The Strand in Paw Paw Michigan (which is STILL there and plays movies!) usta have double feature matinee's on Saterdays. I saw RACE WITH THE DEVIL and HOMEBODIES, PSYCHIC KILLER and NIGHT OF THE HAWK, DR.PHIBES RISES AGAIN and DRACULA AD 1972,--so fun. Dad would drop us-(me and Mike and Glenn) off at about noon-we'd be there most of the day. He would give us the movie fare (50 cents!) plus 2 dollars apiece for popcorn and candy! Sitting in the balcony was the best (this is an old 1920's era theater) because you could toss popcorn at the kids below.
 Memories...like the backstreets of my mind....misty muddy memmmorieeees....! Of the way we waaaas...!

Picked up a copy of Psychic Killer while I was out yesterday.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2018, 07:16:12 AM »

they were all trashy mexican kids movies, i can't think of the guy's name who imported them i want to say his last name was murray? i loved them!

Yes. The infamous K. Gordon Murray. I remember seeing TV commercials for his movies when I was a kid and then forcing my mother to take me to see them.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Fond childhood badmovie memories. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.