Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:17:16 AM
713325 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Rampage (2018 with minor spoilers) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Rampage (2018 with minor spoilers)  (Read 2700 times)
WingedSerpent
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« on: April 15, 2018, 03:11:25 PM »

Saw it Friday night, and I liked it.

A movie-standard evil company created a formula to change the DNA of animals into monstrous weapons.  When their space station laboratory explodes three canisters of the chemical land on Earth infecting a grey wolf, an American alligator, and an albino Gorilla named George.  Dwayne Johnson plays Davis Okoye, the former anti poacher/ current primatologist  who takes  care of him.

And if you've seen enough of the trailers, you get the story.

The main crux of the story is Davis' and George's relationship.  They really want you to care about these two, and understand they have a bond.  Actually one of the things I liked about the movie is that there wasn't a forced romantic sub plot between The Rock and Naomi Harris' character-Dr. Kate Cadwell who knows a thing or two about what's going on.

What a lot of trailers haven't been showing is the main human villains.  The CEOs of  the evil company played by Mailn Akerman-who plays her character as comically evil at times and her bumbling cowardly brother played by Jake Lacy.  Their fine for this type of movie.  

But this movie earns its PG-13 rating.  There's some swear words.  George knows a few crude sign language gestures.  

And the monster scenes could get brutal at times.  They draw blood on each other, body parts get ripped off, and they rarely shy away from the destruction they cause, and the deaths they cause esp in the the final action third act.

I talked a little about the monster design in a previous post, but seeing the movie showed some new features.  George remains the most like his initial state.  He starts off as an albino gorilla and really only grows into a much larger one.  Ralph, looks like a giant wolf for the most part-but has been given new abilities.  He can grow and fire off quills and has a flying squirrel like membrane that allows him short flights.  Lizzie the crocodile, gains a large frill, as well as pronounced dorsal spines.  She kind of looks like Anguirus in some scenes.

Which brings me one of the things I didn't like about the film.  Lizze was my favorite monster in the games, and she only really appears at the end of the movie.  We see her get infected at the start of the film, one scene when she's traveling to Chicago but we don't get a good look at her, and then her reveal at the end.

Also the villains plan for how to deal with the monsters is one that falls apart as their explaining it.  But I guess it serves it purpose to get the kaiju to the city for  the final act.

Side note:  They filmed it in Chicago.  A few weeks earlier I was in that city for G-fest.  I wish they had started work their earlier because they missed a prime marketing oppotuinty to have actual kaiju fans in the movie.

Overall, a good movie that I enjoyed seeing in theaters and will gladly see again.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 09:42:25 PM by WingedSerpent » Logged

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 04:58:32 AM »

Just saw it: a very good movie and I don't think it's necessary to see it in 3D.

Also my friend Negan from The Walking Dead is in it too. TeddyR

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 01:50:19 AM »

George [gives Dwayne Johnson the finger]
DJ: "I wish I didn't teach you to do that."  TeddyR TeddyR

Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 06:41:29 AM »

WingedSerpent
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2018, 09:43:42 PM »

There were a few "meme: moments in this film.  It'd be talked about a little more if Avengers: Infinity war wasn't released so close.  They actually moved up the release date as not to compete with it.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2018, 03:41:37 AM »

[After George has "charged" the new guy]

Davis: [laughing] "OK, you and I, laughing at your joke. New guy [the new guy is gibbering in a heap on the ground] He no laugh, he cry."  TeddyR

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Rampage (2018 with minor spoilers) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.