Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 09:28:09 AM
714258 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7737 Members
Latest Member: NannieHime
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Video Nasties: So that's what they are... « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Video Nasties: So that's what they are...  (Read 2382 times)
Pacman000
« on: April 28, 2018, 07:36:27 PM »

http://www.realmofhorror.co.uk/nasties.htm

I'd heard of them before, & I knew the basics; that the British government banned certain videos in the 80's, but I'd never known the full story. While trying to find info on Vidco I stumbled on this. It's a history of the controversy with reviews of all 72 banned films.

claws
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 01:33:24 AM »

Germany did the same in the 80s and 90s, banning tons of movies that usually glorified violence. The outrage about this wasn't as loud as in the UK I suppose.
Most films have been "unbanned" in recent years including The Evil Dead.
Sam Raimi's classic cabin massacre even got a new lower "16" rating, which would be like a PG-13 in the U.S.
Most recently David Cronenberg's Videodrome was unbanned after 32 years (!) and now sports a "PG-13" (!) as well.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 01:45:54 AM »

A lot of it made no sense at all. A movie called BLOOD FREAK about a turkey monster! was rated X.
Bulls**t.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 01:51:08 AM »

The only thing the video nasties  s**t achived was making those movies more famous. Which is a good thing. Good movies

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2018, 01:52:55 AM »

I remember this time well. I'd went from being able to watch pretty much any horror movie to come out to suddenly not being allowed to watch The Evil Dead or The Hills Have Eyes. Most of them all throughout this period banned or otherwise were generally freely available, it was my parents who suddenly weren't letting me watch them which I hated as I was the only kid in school who hadn't seen The Evil Dead. I however did get to see movies like Death Wish, Shogun Assassin, Texas Chainsaw Massacre and so on. The reality was that the bans weren't really as widespread or as much of a problem as the article suggests and the whole thing was more of something whipped up by the gutter press.

I've watched a lot of the films that were affected by this in the years since (I was in my mid 20's before finally got to see the first Evil Dead, although I'd seen parts 2 and 3 long before that). With the exception of The Last House On The Left and possibly I Spit On Your Grave my reaction after watching was along the lines of *shrug* meh, what was all the fuss about?

In many cases what people thought were banned were actually the film would be submitted for classification, the board would say "Ok, we'll give you the age rating you want if you cut this and this out", which would then go back to the distributer who could say "We are fine with this being removed, but we want to keep this in because..." and it would go back and forth normally. However some movies after being asked for certain cuts would then not be resubmitted and the video would then somehow sneak out claiming to be a banned video nasty which would then of course be like a red rag to a bull in getting people to want to watch it and Mary Whitehouses moral crusade would kick up a stink about it, giving an otherwise forgetable movie tons of free advertising and publicity.

There was a lot of manipulation of people by both sides on this.

A quick link for anyone interested in what films were actually banned. If you look for the ones during this time there aren't actually that many and as I've said the ones that were people got to watch regardless mostly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_banned_in_the_United_Kingdom
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 02:07:44 AM by Dark Alex » Logged

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2018, 02:03:12 AM »

You were there. Thumbup

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2018, 02:34:33 AM »

South Africa had the worst censorship system under apartheid: hundreds of films were banned and the two censor boards we had were faceless and had frightening powers.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
zombie no.one
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Oookaay...

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2018, 04:19:46 AM »

and who exactly were these god-like beings, who could withstand viewing thousands of clips of pretend special fx without getting corrupted themselves, but who also knew exactly which ones would corrupt the brains of lesser mortals than they!!!

very few things p**s me off more than this.

the fact that DONT GO IN THE WOODS ALONE was deemed banworthy shows how clueless these guys were/are... and yet JAWS - which contains some ridiculously gory kills - is a mere PG in this country.

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2018, 08:54:11 AM »

and who exactly were these god-like beings, who could withstand viewing thousands of clips of pretend special fx without getting corrupted themselves, but who also knew exactly which ones would corrupt the brains of lesser mortals than they!!!

very few things p**s me off more than this.

In South Africa, TV was also banned until 1975 and a certain book entitled Black Beauty.  Buggedout

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Video Nasties: So that's what they are... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.