Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:30:40 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game  (Read 4012 times)
clockworkcanary
Bad Movie Lover

« on: May 02, 2018, 07:11:21 AM »

Is anyone else into this table-top ship-to-ship dog fighting game?

A few months ago, a friend of mine texted me saying he was in the gaming store looking at the base set. I told him to buy it and we could give it a try. Cut to current time and we've both dropped a bit of money (although that's not really necessary to play and have a good game) and gotten four others to join us in a few sessions.

Base set comes with the dice and movement tiles, an X-Wing, and 2 Tie Fighters (and optional upgrades). I believe the Red version is the Original Trilogy with Luke as one of the pilots; the Blue is the newest trilogy with Poe Dameron.

Needless to say, my group and I all bought quite a few expansions (single ships). One friend goes straight Rebel Alliance, the other goes almost straight Scum and Villany, I go straight Imperial, and the other guy mixes it up.

Since the one friend doesn't have kids and does well, he's bought almost all the ships for all factions (most still in the box). He tends to use IG-88 and scum bombers, quite effectively. The Rebel guy plays the Falcon and A-Wings. I tend to fly either the Special Forces Tie Fighter (can shoot backwards) and a large ship called the Decimator (it's not just a clever name).

You can "build" your ship/upgrade combos quite similar to how one builds/customizes their own deck in Magic The Gathering. The more ships you have, the more upgrade cards you have to choose from (you can use other upgrades from other ships as long as there are no restrictions on the card). Some ships (especially larger ones) can have Officer cards, so I make good use of them.
All players agree on a build point number, usually 50, 75, or 100.

Some of the Ships I have:

* Several First Order Tie Fighters: Omega Leader being the best pilot
* Tie Advanced Prototype: Vader Pilot
* Tie Interceptor and 2 Tie Royal Interceptors: glass cannons, but great maneuverability
* Tie Special Forces: Backdraft is the best pilot for this ship IMO.
* Tie Punisher: The Tie Bomber on steroids. Death Rain is the best pilot (drops bombs out either front or back)
* Lamda Shuttle: great support ship: just opened the box; haven't used it yet.
* Kylo's Shuttle: haven't played it yet; still in the box/just arrived this week.
* The Decimator: a tank of a ship with 360 firing turret. Has tons of upgrade slots (and three officers!). Best pilots are the one who rams and the one who gets better critical hits.

Upgrade Collection Highlights: there are too many upgrade cards and combos to list, but the following are my favorite Officer cards:

* General Hux: gives ally ships bonuses
* Kylo Ren: choose the crit your enemy receives
* Darth Vader: after attacking, may take 2 damage to deliver a free critical hit to enemy
* The Emperor: change one of your die results once per turn (this is friggin awesome)
* Mara Jade: stress any enemies nearby
* Gunner: if your attack misses, make a second attack for free.

So far, we've played a few 1v1, 2v2, and free-for-all battles. I seem to do pretty well when playing the tank Decimator, but find my smaller ships are pretty fragile, but can move pretty good. Anytime I put the Emperor on the Decimator, the other players frown (in one game, I used that ship to destroy every single ship (3 other players each playing a couple of ships) but one and that's because someone else got to it before I could lol. I try not to use the Emperor too much since he's kinda overpowered.
Looking forward to working the new shuttles into my builds and see if I can find the right balance.

Anyone else play/get into this game? Do tell about your builds and your game experiences!

Join us as we discuss all things schlock at Three Knock Theater podcast:

Facebook Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/197572800347267/

Youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrLYkyXabfSwpcRQjhUMErQ
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 09:26:17 AM »

I've got a fair sized Scum and Villany fleet, often flying 2 Firesprays with Boba Fett and Kath Scarlett as the pilots. Kristi flies the evil terrorist guys and we do have a good sized upholders of law and order (the Empire) fleet too.

I can recommend flying what is called a Tie Swarm. Take 6 tie fighters and throw them into a fight. They are meant to be cheap and disposable so you don't have to worry if you lose some, but they do have a lot of firepower when combined and agility to keep them out of trouble.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 09:28:43 AM by Dark Alex » Logged

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
clockworkcanary
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2018, 07:16:50 AM »

I've got a fair sized Scum and Villany fleet, often flying 2 Firesprays with Boba Fett and Kath Scarlett as the pilots. Kristi flies the evil terrorist guys and we do have a good sized upholders of law and order (the Empire) fleet too.

Oh sweet; one of my buddies plays Kath (but just one) and he does pretty well. That's two games now that we both enjoy (D&D and Star Wars).

I can recommend flying what is called a Tie Swarm. Take 6 tie fighters and throw them into a fight. They are meant to be cheap and disposable so you don't have to worry if you lose some, but they do have a lot of firepower when combined and agility to keep them out of trouble.

I have yet to try this, but I can see how, even with low attack dice, with that many swarming, it would whittle down the enemy's focus and evade tokens pretty quickly. I have a various assortment of Ties and with the cheaper ones/low pilot skill, I could fit a lot in a 100 point build (or have them lead by Omega Leader FO, Backdraft, or one of the Royal Interceptors that buffs nearby allies).

I was just reading up on the newer Tie Reaper ...and I'm just not that impressed with it. Maybe it's just not my playing style (it's a jammer type).  Also, I hear they just announced Version 2, which looks like they've fixed a couple of things, but it just doesn't seem worth it to change versions after I just dropped a couple hundred on my fleet/cards (I bought way more than I need for a good game lol).

What are some of your other favorite combos?

I just bought a second Decimator (painted the first one black with red windows/highlights so it looks extra evil), so the next big game at my mates' I'm going to bust out the "Double D" build (we try to name all of our combat builds with goofy names), with one Decimator built for ramming and the other built for extreme shooting with RAC (going to use rammer as a blocker) loaded up with some combination of the Expose, Gunner, and/or Predator.  They are usually unhappy when i break just one of those out lol.

I also have a nice Tie Punisher-centered build, where I use Death Rain pilot, loaded up with heavy ordinance, paired with a Decimator to take the heat. Now that I have the Lamda and Kylo's shuttle, I might be able to make a few different/good variable builds with those ready for support.

Facebook Group:

Youtube channel:
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2018, 09:36:14 AM »

My fleet.

The terrorists.

The heroic Empire.

If you are playing Empire I can recommend getting an Imperial Lamda Shuttle. They make great force multipliers with their array of buffs for other ships. Got to go to work, but I'll talk a bit more about the game later.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 03:28:15 PM by Dark Alex » Logged

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 02:13:26 PM »

My fleets tend to be organised around a theme rather than looking for combos. The last battle I played we had a larger game where I took the ships for all the bounty hunters from The Empire Strikes Back. I have 5 Headhunters, which I call the Sky Sharks. I regularly field those and have came up with a back story for them. Most of the time though I seem to end up playing as the Empire rather than my beloved Scum.

Just as I side note, I think Han Solo should be allowed on the Scum side given he did work for them before the rebellion. Depending on what happens in the Solo movie, maybe he should also be available to the Imperials.

Have you seen the 2nd edition of the game has just came out? I may not be buying it though if  I have to get upgrade packs for all my existing ships. Not sure if that is how it works or not having not looked into it fully, but I get the impression from other players it would get quite expensive.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 03:27:51 PM by Dark Alex » Logged

Sitting Duck
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2018, 02:02:24 PM »

Just be sure you don't go overboard with it.
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2018, 03:01:51 PM »

Too late...

clockworkcanary
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2018, 09:22:18 PM »

Wow! That's an impressive fleet! So cool!

I've taken your suggestion on Tie Swarms and have constructed a few various point builds and picked up a couple more Ties -still want to pick up another original Tie, another SF Tie, and a FO Tie.

Picked up a couple Tie Phantoms last week and tried them out on my friend's rebel ships -blasted each of his three ships before he could take a single one of mine down. Also picked up another Tie Defender. Can't remember if I mentioned it above, but also got the Lamda Shuttle. I like the targeting range with the one pilot and the ability to pass it off to an ally. Have yet to test it. Also got a second Decimator. Painted the first one black with red windows/highlights (if I didn't mention that already).

Facebook Group:

Youtube channel:
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2018, 03:22:51 AM »

You should stick your pictures up of your paint jobs. Mine are pretty basic. The first one I did was Kath Scarlett's Firespray so I could tell which one was hers and which one was Boba's. Then I did my Skysharks in gray to make them look like a single sqn since some were in rebel colours and some in scum. Other than dabbling in a few others (Star Vipers and Punishing One) I've not done much since well my painting skills are basic to say to least.

Maybe sometime I'll play you online via Tabletop Simulator or something.

I don't know if you've played a game with the larger ships or not. I have to say that they are fun to play with, although I am not convinced the points investment in them is worth it I can can normally take them down pretty quickly. Just depends on how competitive you play. If you do take one make sure to tool it up seriously and be aware that you are very vulnerable if anything gets inside range band one on you (your weapons are range 2). To compensate for that I generally have a few light ships providing close cover to the bigger ships.

I've not played Armada (Star Destroyer type fleets clashing), but I do like the look of it.

Oh, and this is an older trick from the early days of the game, but a Y-Wing with an Ion Turret (for 360 angle of fire, vs the cannon with only a front arc) is not to be snuffed at. Or even a sqn of Y-Wings with them.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 05:00:28 AM by Dark Alex » Logged

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2018, 04:23:47 PM »

Finally got to play a game with Kristi tonight. Two of my Sky Sharks managed to follow the Falcon around the table and slowly wittled it down until it collapsed under a huge collection of critical hits. The Sky Sharks themselves had a mixed night though. While they took down the Falcon I did lose one of them while the sqn ldr spent most of the game flying around not able to get anyone in his gun sights.

Eventually we decided to call the game after two rounds of all our ships bumping into each other and being unable to fire. Really, the collisions were so bad we were too busy laughing to figure out who could actually fire at who. A good game was had though which to me is the whole point of it.

The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2018, 05:33:03 PM »

I have nearly 700 table-top games and expansions and none of them have "Star Wars" in the title. What are the odds of that????

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2018, 12:57:52 AM »

What kinds of games to you play? And if you do decide to go for a Star Wars game I can actually recommend their version of Clue which we have yet to complete as all the players seem to end up stuck in the Death Star jail block.

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2018, 01:52:35 PM »

This is worth a read and is why I am considering not upgrading to second edition.

http://hiveoffunandsilliny.blogspot.co.uk/2018/05/x-wing-20-versus-man-of-many-hats.html?zx=83a19d1d53e14a69

clockworkcanary
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2018, 06:53:10 PM »

Yeah my friends and I talked about the 2nd version release some more and none of us plan to upgrade, so we're buying a few more V1 ships while we can. I just picked up some more Tie Fighters and FO Ties. I have a couple Tie Swarm builds in mind: one with six Ties at a 100 point build. We'll see how they do at the next FFA game.

Here is my painted version of the Decimator:

« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 06:58:21 PM by clockworkcanary » Logged

Facebook Group:

Youtube channel:
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.