Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:03:01 AM
713329 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  The phenomenon known as "Full Screen-Widescreen" « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The phenomenon known as "Full Screen-Widescreen"  (Read 1832 times)
Cheefzboy
Dedicated Viewer

« on: May 09, 2018, 12:24:07 PM »

So I'm naming this little phenomenon full screen widescreen. It's never had a name that I know of but this is what I call it. When you're left with a tiny rectangle tangle in the middle of the tv. Ya it says it's widescreen but it's really "Full screen widescreen" I hate these dvds. They are early dvds meant for old Tvs which were 4:3 and meant for square tvs. I've got a few movies like this.
Neville
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 07:42:33 AM »

Ah.... this could become the new letterbox vs. fullscreen debate. You should complain if the the original AR is different than 4:3. But if we're talking about older movies, a square box is the way to go, unless you want a cropped image.

Plus, if you hate 4:3 that much, chances are your TV has a zoom option hidden somewhere.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 12:51:11 PM by Neville » Logged

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
beat_truck
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2018, 12:48:46 PM »

DirecTv still can't get aspect ratios correct on all of their channels, even when you have it set to match your TV in the menus. Hatred

We still use old 4:3 CRT TVs.  Most channels appear correctly with the bars at the top and bottom of the screen.  It is annoying when an old 4:3 show ends up in a box, but oh well. Lookingup   But, a few stations like TNT are squashed to fit the screen, making everyone look too tall and thin.  And, a few like CBS are the correct ratio, but are cropped to fit the screen.

What the hell!?!  How many years has TV been the new ratio now and they still can't get it right?  I guess most people just don't know it's wrong or don't care. Lookingup
Neville
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2018, 12:58:14 PM »

Yeah, that annoys me a lot too. Some channels just don't give a s**t about their viewers. What's worse, it's usually the rare channels that show older movies the ones guilty of these practices.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  The phenomenon known as "Full Screen-Widescreen" « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.