Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:22:38 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  MOST INFLUENTIAL HORROR FILMS « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: MOST INFLUENTIAL HORROR FILMS  (Read 6036 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2018, 05:36:16 PM »

BLAIR WITCH PROJECT launched a whole generation of "found footage" movies.
Or was it CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST (1980) that launched the "found footage" movies...? 

There was that one, and another one about the Jersey Devil (I forget the title), but neither of those made the nationwide splash that BLAIR WITCH did.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Svengoolie 3
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2018, 04:09:57 AM »

John carpenter's "the thing". Lots of monsters were inspired by that.

Alien. How many impregnating aliens were spawned there?

The doctor that circumcised Trump threw away the wrong piece.
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2018, 06:52:35 AM »

Silence of the Lambs redefined the movie cannibal.

Godzilla showed us how to make huge monsters stepping on things. 

Gremlins was not only partially responsible for a new rating, but for a while EVERYBODY wanted their own little critter movie. 

SAW was also really influential, but I can't say I like what it brought to the table. 

Jaws made the killer animal/close the beaches movie. 

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2018, 10:07:58 AM »

When I mentioned the EXORCIST (1973) I should have said "possession" movies...not Satanic evil. That's been around quite a while, though ROSEMARY'S BABY (1968) really kicked it in the pants.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2018, 07:12:59 PM »

The Night of the Living Dead -- the first movie to use zombies, a trend that continues today
Flesh eating zombies... NOT the first zombie movie by far. 

This is true. WHITE ZOMBIE (1932) came first.

…………

I know this and now I feel stupid

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2018, 02:18:34 AM »

I would say the MUMMY (1932)...but only the first few minutes. When Karloff is still in his wraps. Perhaps the MUMMY'S HAND (1940) would be a better fit.
.DEAD OF NIGHT (1945) was influential as the fore-runner of the anthology horror films , like DR. TERRORS GALLERY OF HORRORS, the HOUSE THAT DRIPPED BLOOD, TALES FROM THE CRYPT, etc etc....
.Fritz Lang's M (1931), with Peter Lorre becoming the first serial killer film that wasn't a rehash of old Jack the Ripper types, showing the murderer as a disturbed man, instead of a  drooling maniac or near supernatural shadow figure.
.the LOST WORLD (1925) wasn't the first dinosaur movie, but it was the first to bring one into the big city to wreck havoc.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2018, 11:07:33 AM »

Psycho, Alien, The Exorcist, Night of the Living Dead, and Jaws are up there as movies often imitated...yet It Came From Beyond Space! predates Alien as does Planet of the Vampires...White Zombie is atmsopheric and moody and does predate NOTLD but arguably didn't start the zombie craze NOTLD eventually did...

Halloween and Friday the 13th has often been imitated too but clearly they also owe something to films like Black Christmas, A Bay of Blood and perhaps even stuff like Dementia 13 and The Curse of the Living Corpse..but then  again in a way don' t they kind of harken back to Old Dark House mystery thrillers of the 30s and 40s and 50s too...

Carrie (1976) could certainly be considered influential as well but there were numerous "mind power out of control" movies of the 60s and 70s era.

The Outer Limits and The Twilight Zone TV series was likely inspiration for many later films (The Terminator, Dark City, Cube Poltergeist) too...although anthology film Dead of Night (1945) predates them as well.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2018, 04:07:19 AM »

Though BLACK SUNDAY (1960) is the first influential Italian gothic horror film, Ricardo Freda's I VAMPIRI (1956) came first. Bava worked on that film with Freda, and Bava went on to be the Master.

I VAMPIRI (1956)

Small | Large

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Ticonderoga 64
Disillusionist

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2018, 12:22:48 PM »

BLAIR WITCH PROJECT launched a whole generation of "found footage" movies.
Or was it CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST (1980) that launched the "found footage" movies...? 

There was that one, and another one about the Jersey Devil (I forget the title), but neither of those made the nationwide splash that BLAIR WITCH did.

That would be THE LAST BROADCAST(1996).
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  MOST INFLUENTIAL HORROR FILMS « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.