Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:53:43 AM
713335 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  the RAMONES « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: the RAMONES  (Read 13546 times)
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« on: May 17, 2018, 09:35:44 AM »

I reckon theres no mystery that I love the Ramones. But why, you may find yourself asking? (Or not. likey you could give a flying f**k...)

Anyway, the appeal of the Ramones for me at first- back in 1980 when I first discoverd them, was the unabashed stupidness. Like the 3 Stooges, they're just mindless fun. Unlike most punk, which is just angry spitting, anti-social noise, the Ramones music took they're geekness and celebrated it. Other punks at the time were lashing out in anger. The Ramones were celebrating. They WANTED to be pop stars. They WANTED to be on the radio. Never happened....which is too bad. But in a way I'm glad. It makes them MY favorite band.

Joeys hiccup singing, Dee Dee's the Flash on speed playing, Johnny's Nazi bass, and Marky's drooling robot drum...dam- It's  so life affirming. It makes me happy! Not much punk does, most p**ses me off (and I don't need much fuel for that). The Cramps make me happy. As does the Stooges, the New York Dolls, and (oddly) the Dead Kennedys. Stuff like the great Black Flag and the Sex Pistols I can only listen to for a song or two. I can listen to albums in a row by the Ramones.

Small | Large

« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 09:38:11 AM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 11:24:02 AM »

Gawd, yes! The Ramones are one of my all time favorite bands and have been ever since I saw "Rock N Roll High School" on TV one Saturday afternoon in the early 80s.

They were my first concert in a small venue/nightclub when I was a freshman in college (1988) - and therefore my first mosh pit experience.

Got to meet them in 1992 at a record-store signing for the "Mondo Bizarro" album. All four guys (Joey, Marky, Johnny and C.J.) signed my copy. I want that thing buried with me when I die.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 09:18:20 PM by FatFreddysCat » Logged

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 12:05:36 PM »

I want that thing buried with me when I die.
My man!  Thumbup

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 01:29:12 PM »

I love THE RAMONES.  I hear their recordings used often in commercials, and think to myself, how ironic that their music would make money NOW that they're all DEAD...  the heirs to their estates sure are doing well NOW!! 

Overlooked, except as an oddity, in their own time (like a lot of the great PUNK bands) THE RAMONES have risen to the top of GREAT Rock n' Roll music.  Strangely, a lot of Punk bands and fans then and since don't seem to realize that THE RAMONES got their name from (of all people) PAUL McCARTNEY !!!  PAUL used to sign hotel registers as "Paul Ramone" (or something along those lines) to make it easier to NOT be identified.  THE RAMONES were emulating great songs by early BEATLES, STONES, and other acts.  Rejecting what most Punk bands thought of as the psychedelia, huge production (and pomposity) of late '60s early '70s bands, THE RAMONES wanted to get back to those short, fast, hot Rock N' Roll songs, like THE BEATLES had. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 01:32:06 PM »

I only have a Greatest Hits CD but that's all I need.  They're fast, they rock, and their songs are all SHORT!  Just perfect.  "Twenty twenty twenty four hours to go.."

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 02:04:08 PM »

I love THE RAMONES.  I hear their recordings used often in commercials, and think to myself, how ironic that their music would make money NOW that they're all DEAD...  the heirs to their estates sure are doing well NOW!!  

Overlooked, except as an oddity, in their own time (like a lot of the great PUNK bands) THE RAMONES have risen to the top of GREAT Rock n' Roll music.  Strangely, a lot of Punk bands and fans then and since don't seem to realize that THE RAMONES got their name from (of all people) PAUL McCARTNEY !!!  PAUL used to sign hotel registers as "Paul Ramone" (or something along those lines) to make it easier to NOT be identified.  THE RAMONES were emulating great songs by early BEATLES, STONES, and other acts.  Rejecting what most Punk bands thought of as the psychedelia, huge production (and pomposity) of late '60s early '70s bands, THE RAMONES wanted to get back to those short, fast, hot Rock N' Roll songs, like THE BEATLES had.  

This is all true. They were taking rock and roll away from the hippies.
The Beatles took rock and roll and turned it into hippie music.
The Ramones took hippie music and turned it into rock and roll.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 02:06:18 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 09:36:49 PM »

I think it is worth pointing out that THE BEATLES originally revitalized Rock N' Roll after years of girl groups, schmaltz, and some great MOR Pop records... even ELVIS had schmaltzy records like "Are You Lonesome Tonight" or "It's Now Or Never" (great, of course, they are THE KING!)  Psychedelia was a logical progression (particularly in the wake of very popular recreational drugs) but they continued to ROCK even if they produced a lot of schmaltz themselves (again, think PAUL... even other BEATLES would call his songs "old lady music").  Even so, THE BEATLES still kicked ass with recordings like "Helter Skelter" and "Oh Darling" (both PAUL compositions...)  
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 09:40:30 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2018, 04:01:21 AM »

Oddly enough, I like the older Beatles music better than the post RUBBER SOUL era....
like WHEN I SAW HER STANDING THERE-which rocks!

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2018, 08:59:20 AM »

I know.  You like the mop top era, but not the later stuff.  I have come to appreciate the mop top era best, too (though I like all BEATLES stuff).   Early records like "I Feel Fine" "Tell Me Why" and "Hard Days Night" kick ass! 

The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2018, 05:20:28 PM »

I also love the Ramones. I saw them live 3 times and they blew the doors off the place every time. The first Ramones album I bought was END OF THE CENTURY and I played it over and over. Then I got ROCKET TO RUSSIA and played that over and over. Then I bought several others. Love those guys. Wish they were still around.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2018, 07:07:22 PM »

This must be my favorite YouTube : 

Small | Large

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2018, 07:20:19 PM »

I'd never heard them ( I heard of them since 1976), until I went to NY in 1984- my brother Mike made me buy their first album.

Small | Large

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2018, 09:19:05 PM »

Who woulda thought that one day there'd be more surviving Beatles than surviving original Ramones? :(

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2018, 09:46:17 PM »

Ramones are probably my favorite group.  (Misfits are right up there for me.)
Beat on The Brat
Small | Large

Spider-Man
Small | Large

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2018, 02:32:56 PM »

Who woulda thought that one day there'd be more surviving Beatles than surviving original Ramones? :(

This is true.

I remember them all dying right in front of me.
And they aint much older than me.

I was born in NYC. They were from Queens, I lived in the Bronx.

Small | Large

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  the RAMONES « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.