Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:59:48 PM
713353 Posts in 53057 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  VANISHING POINT (1971) « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: VANISHING POINT (1971)  (Read 5243 times)
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« on: May 20, 2018, 11:27:47 PM »

VANISHING POINT (1971)

Watched this last night... did not remember that ending!!!  

No wonder people still talk about this film.  The flashback method is hardly clear and somehow works perfectly to explain things and yet explain nothing.  I don't think it's great, but damn, it is good!!  And kind of bad, but I don't mean in my cryptic way, I mean just plain bad.  And SO "hip" and kookoo.  I think I'm in love. 

Small | Large

« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 01:12:35 AM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 02:00:23 AM »

This used to play on late night uhf channels alot here back in the 70's.

How could you not remember that ending?
When I think of 70's car movies, I think of TWO LANE BLACK-TOP, DUEL, and this.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 10:03:08 AM »

I always think of DIRTY MARY CRAZY LARRY... with a comparable end.  I think this might have been the first time I ever really paid attention to VANISHING POINT...  I used to watch those late night movie broadcasts you mention - mostly Horror back in the'70s - and ignored the "hippie" stuff.  DUEL was made for TV so I'm sure I first watched that primetime.  
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 11:49:28 AM by Allhallowsday » Logged

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 10:09:02 AM »

Forgot all about DM,CL- and yep! The endings are similar- and surprising!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2018, 06:31:17 PM »

I always think of DIRTY MARY CRAZY LARRY... with a comparable end.  I think this might have been the first time I ever really paid attention to VANISHING POINT...  I used to watch those late night movie broadcasts you mention - mostly Horror back in the'70s - and ignored the "hippie" stuff.  DUEL was made for TV so I'm sure I first watched that primetime.  

I saw the DIRTY MARY, CRAZY LARRY and VANISHING POINT double feature at the drive-in back in the 1970s. Now I have both on DVD and if I watch one, I usually watch the other the same day or the next day.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2018, 09:41:49 PM »

I saw DIRTY MARY,CRAZY LARRY on a double bill with- of all things- something called NIGHT WATCH with Elizabeth Taylor.

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2018, 10:11:27 PM »

I saw DIRTY MARY,CRAZY LARRY on a double bill with- of all things- something called NIGHT WATCH with Elizabeth Taylor.
Don't know that last, but I do remember being surprised by the ending of DIRTY MARY CRAZY LARRY which I realize now was derivative (from VANISHING POINT) but definitely memorable.  We were certainly invested by the end with the characters in DIRTY MARY CRAZY LARRY.  

I think of VANISHING POINT lately.  It's cool when things break through.  I know Ron knows what I mean... there aren't characters to get invested in, there's just Kowalski and... characters! 

VANISHING POINT is about that space between the two snowplows that block escape.  
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 10:17:41 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

Neville

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2018, 07:46:45 AM »

As a child of the 80s, I didn't know about this film but for a couple of mentions elsewhere. It's terrific, but some parts are a bit confusing for me, like the encounter with the hippies near the end, or the driver's final decision. Still a unique and very interesting movie.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Archivist

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2018, 05:56:20 AM »

I'd never heard of this movie until this thread.  Thank you, fiends, queens and tentacled beings!  I've just read the Wiki synopsis and WTF is this movie?  And how have I never seen this before??  Cheers

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2019, 01:13:25 PM »

This was on TCM last night.  It went off at 4:30am.  I watched all of it. 

Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2019, 01:50:35 AM »

Night Watch was a pretty creepy film as I remember: a lady thinks she sees a murder take place next door and no one believes her.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2019, 03:07:07 AM »

Night Watch was a pretty creepy film as I remember: a lady thinks she sees a murder take place next door and no one believes her.
I have not seen NIGHT WATCH since 197-whatever! I found it interesting- but once I saw Peter Fonda running from cops for and hour or so, I forgot all about Liz.

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2019, 03:09:49 AM »

I have not seen NIGHT WATCH since 197-whatever! I found it interesting- but once I saw Peter Fonda running from cops for and hour or so, I forgot all about Liz.

TeddyR TeddyR

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2019, 03:56:19 AM »

TeddyR TeddyR
At the Strand in Paw Paw, in the balcony! I was throwing popcorn and bubblegum at the kids below! We all were! It was a Saturday Matinee show-in the summer at 2:00 in the after noon! We were there until about 6:30!

That's why I like posting here. Brings back good memories!

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2019, 04:25:19 AM »

At the Strand in Paw Paw, in the balcony! I was throwing popcorn and bubblegum at the kids below! We all were! It was a Saturday Matinee show-in the summer at 2:00 in the after noon! We were there until about 6:30!

That's why I like posting here. Brings back good memories!

I tried that in my home town theater (Gwelo, Rhodesia): I had to clean up the mess.  Buggedout That theater really wasn't too clean anyway.  Buggedout

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  VANISHING POINT (1971) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.