Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:44:09 AM
714232 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Hunt Down The Freeman (Half-Life Fan Game) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hunt Down The Freeman (Half-Life Fan Game)  (Read 1833 times)
Olivia Bauer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: May 29, 2018, 12:38:08 PM »

! No longer available Small | Large

This is one of those rare video games that are so bad that it's funny.
It's like watching a train wreck. Don't just watch this video. You can hunt down (No pun intended) even more.

Most of the cast are YouTubers. I Hate Everything, Pyrocynical, Sky Williams, Rice Pirate, Keemstar, Cyr, and Colossal is Crazy are all in it for some reason.
It's an understatement to call the game buggy. It's buggier than a box full of beetles. You know that infamous "It's not a bug, it's a feature." saying? In this case it'd be more accurate to say "It's not a bug, it's the game." It was literally impossible to beat at launch without using the Source Engine's "noclip" command which temporarily disables collision and lets you fly around the map. You had to cheat to win.

The game features parkour, going prone, and cutscenes, which are fine most of the time, but don't fit in a Half-Life game.
The cutscenes, not only lack decent voice talent but the writing is absolutely awful. It's worth noting that white, British YouTuber Alex (I Hate Everything), played an Asian American soldier. They realized that Alex's American accent was pretty bad and had him re-record his lines in a natural voice. However for whatever reason they ended up putting the old takes in the final product. They had Sky Williams, a black YouTuber, play a white guy named Larry. The best voice actor in the game is whoever played the G-Man. He was actually really good. Too bad he pronounces "Mesa" as "Messa". They had him correct his lines but used the old ones anyway for some reason.

The developers are also mixed up in quite a bit of controversy with accusations of stolen assets. Mind you the game doesn't always have assets. Some objects have pink and black patterns on them, which only happens in the Source engine if it can't find the texture that's supposed to go there. But even funnier is when entire objects are missing. If that happens it'll show a massive, red, blinking ERROR instead of what's actually supposed to be there.

The level design is very poor with enemies often just being left in a conga line in hallways so big that you can just run around them. There's a war scene with infinitely spawning allies an enemies, where it never tells you that you're just supposed to run away and find something else to do. The enemies use models that were scrapped from HL2 and don't fit the same ascetic as the Combine. It just didn't cross their mind that they may have been scrapped for good reason. The game will crash during loading screens and corrupt all of your data if you try to save in a vehicle.

There's so much wrong that everything I typed doesn't even cover half of the all the flaws it has. Watch the video and look up other "Hunt Down The Freeman" related content on YouTube. This game is so abysmal you can get just as much entertainment out of it as a bad movie. It's definitely worth a laugh. But it's definitely not worth the $17.99 it costs on Steam (It used to be $25, dropped to $20, now it's $18). But the YouTube videos are free.

1/10

By the way. If you want a good Half-Life fan game, then go get the HL1 remake, Black Messa Mesa. It's $19.99 but worth every single penny. It's actually pretty amazing.
But if you have no money, don't worry. There's plenty of 100% free Half-Life 2 mods.

Gene Worm
A Guru of Rubber Monsters, and a
Bad Movie Lover

Rubber Monsters > CGI Monsters

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 02:03:53 PM »

Haha, yeah, this "game" was an absolute trainwreck. Had a lot of fun going over every stupid mistake it made from when the disastrous demo came out to after its release. I remember hearing that some dumb YouTuber also decided to give the dev team 50 grand for their game's fundraiser, and insisted for a refund when they realized how bad the game was that I'm not sure if they ever got. Not sure true that story is though, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was.

I did find it kind of hilarious in an incredibly unfortunate way that the game tried so hard to make itself fit in with the Half-Life universe and storyline, but it hardly matches up to HL's canon at all. Also, I think you forgot to mention that the controversial Keemstar's role was the President of the United States. BounceGiggle

! No longer available Small | Large
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 05:29:15 PM by Gene Worm » Logged

"Listen, you've got to get down below. There's something coming through, and it's the nastiest looking thing yet! Some of your buddies went down there a while ago, and I haven't seen them since."
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Hunt Down The Freeman (Half-Life Fan Game) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.