Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:43:35 AM
713337 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  do we need a new friday 13th? « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: do we need a new friday 13th?  (Read 10878 times)
zombie no.one
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Oookaay...

« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2018, 03:49:45 PM »

3 Monsters And A Baby?

Jason, Freddy and Michael Myers all find out they may possibly be the father of a child and all have to live together and bring her up, each of them learning a few valuable life lessons along the way?

freddy on nappy changing duties...

JASON GOES TO HELVELLYN

- Jason has a lovely walk through the lake district, stopping off to see the house where Samuel Taylor Coleridge lived, then enjoys a nice ploughman's pub lunch.

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2018, 09:19:12 PM »

3 Monsters And A Baby?

Jason, Freddy and Michael Myers all find out they may possibly be the father of a child and all have to live together and bring her up, each of them learning a few valuable life lessons along the way?
and eventually Leatherface just eats it.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2018, 03:30:34 AM »

JASON DOES DALLAS.
Where Jason kills the Dallas Cowboys football team and the cheerleaders.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2018, 06:56:29 AM »

JASON GOES TO AFRICA

He comes here. meets up with Trevor and then runs into the sea.  Wink

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
TYTD Review
Bad Movie Lover

We got Movie Sign!

« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2018, 07:17:50 AM »

Well hell; I just finished watching all of these (For context heres another "Quick caption review")

Friday the 13th - A bit overrated honestly...nowhere near my favourite...its okay...
Friday the 13th part 2 - it's okay
Friday the 13th Part 3 - Loadsa fun! probably my favourite of the franchise
Friday the 13th Part 4 - Pretty good though a bit slow in the 3rd act
Friday the 13th Part 5 - A nice twist for the franchise and quite nicely shot. I think this is probably one of my favourites from the franchise too.
Friday the 13th Part 6 - Awful. and Awful awful movie...but not the worst...
Friday the 13th Part 7 - I enjoyed it. the psychic angle is pretty cool...good but not great
Friday the 13th Part 8 - If they'd have stopped here I'd have probably been okay with that.

Jason goes to hell - Quite possibly one of the worst movies I've ever seen. it's border radioactive.
Freddy Vs Jason - Total guilty pleasure. Its not a good movie but damnit I cant lie. I enjoy this one.
Jason X - Good kills but ultimately a bit bland for me. Never saw the appeal of Super Jason honestly...

Friday the 13th (Remake) - Eh...pass.

I think theres plenty of scope to do a good friday the 13th movie (The video games "Virtual Cabin" was in and of itself an interesting concept that could have been developed.) I think film makers often over think movies like this...Just keep it simple, keep the kills interesting and varied and at most maybe give it an 80s vibe if you have to stylize it. Jason doesnt need to be heavily drenched in his own back story. he's an unstoppable killing machine who drowned as a child because councillors neglected to keep an eye on him. thats all you really need to know...

zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2018, 12:05:45 PM »

I agree with pretty much all your assessments there, except for Part 8 which is one of my faves, and Freddy vs Jason which I can't stand!

FatFreddysCat did a nice little write up on Part 7 in his blog the other day (which actually inspired this thread, I forgot to say.)

https://reelrundown.com/movies/Friday-the-13th-Part-VII-The-New-Blood-1988

TYTD Review
Bad Movie Lover

We got Movie Sign!

« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2018, 01:39:42 PM »

I agree with pretty much all your assessments there, except for Part 8 which is one of my faves, and Freddy vs Jason which I can't stand!

FatFreddysCat did a nice little write up on Part 7 in his blog the other day (which actually inspired this thread, I forgot to say.)

Oh I pretty much like part 8 as well :) some of the boat sections are a little slow but I love all the stuff set in Manhatten and some of the lower deck boat stuffs brilliant :) If they'd have ended the franchise with part 8 it would have had a pretty decent sense of closure (Even if the idea of Jason being dissolved to death by sewage seems a bit undignified) xD

I'll check that review out :) cheers for popping it up here :)

zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2018, 02:51:45 PM »

ah, I thought you meant they should've ended it with part 8 cause you didn't like that one...fair enough.

LOL at the entire movie being on youtube like this...

Small | Large

clockworkcanary
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2018, 03:30:09 PM »

Yes. No orgins, found footage, or 3D. Just a back to basic, 80s referential and/or years later kinda thing. They should totally base it off aspects of the game since that's technically the newest generation of fans (and their peers would be the new target demographics).

They need to review the scenes/characters of the series and take note on the classic shots/scenes/situations and cover them. The first scene could be a group of partiers around a campfire or fireplace discussing the legend, and rather than drag for 70 minutes, it should open with a bang with Jason busting threw the door/onto the scene, hacking like mad (catch audience off guard)...and of course, have a character react just like "Chad" from the game (especially that facial expression)...and Jason kills them all this time...and it's just the opening of the film, proper.

It could be a film of anthology tales around the campfire of encounters/legends/etc of encounters with Jason and/or even his mom. Could be a story about the years later of all the previous survivors. Maybe Ginny is not only a child psychologist, but at this point, she'd probably admin the entire mental ward of survivors (and or psychics from 7 and 8 if they wanted to go the special powers route, which I would hope they wouldn't).

There needs to be a campfire/fireplace retelling in the intro (and way better than the 2009 crap story), a car break down scene, and outhouse scene, a barn, a canoe/docks scene, a game of strip poker, a prankster, the return of Tommy, ineffectual cop(s), 80s clothes/hair/music, a body thrown through a window, shots of a cat all movie (but don't do the cat jump scare this time), and maybe some crazy twist at the end where Ginny turned heel (evil) and traumatized these patients further by sending them back to Crystal Lake for cathartic healing, heh. Unsure how the end chase could go down, but it needs to highlight/encapsulate all the best parts of previous chase downs (needs to be a chop through door scene for sure). Need to have final confrontation on the beach again. Also, need to show Jason's shack again. Could use atmosphere from 3 (but not the score, at least until the credits).

Unfortunately, due to the legal mumbo jumbo/case going on with one of the original script writers, there won't be any new movie until rights are settled. In fact, the game has just released a statement that, due to this reason, they cannot release any more new downloadable game content, which really stinks.

Join us as we discuss all things schlock at Three Knock Theater podcast:

Facebook Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/197572800347267/

Youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrLYkyXabfSwpcRQjhUMErQ
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2018, 10:16:04 AM »

Hey, thanx!  Glad you liked it. Thumbup

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2018, 02:50:13 PM »

no probs! - that was me in the comments too...

It could be a film of anthology tales around the campfire of encounters/legends/etc of encounters with Jason and/or even his mom.

like the anthology idea...lends itself to horror well usually. need to check out this F13 game you've written about, not played many video games since the original playstation was big though

clockworkcanary
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2018, 12:30:12 PM »

My opinions on each in the series:

F1: Great Savanni kills/effects, great atmosphere/setting, and great final act/last scare. Pacing issues, not that original (apes Psycho, Halloween, and Carrie), only one character who really develops at all. Epic score.

F2: The Boy from the lake gimmick. Leaner and meaner. Better atmosphere. Better characters. Best Final Girl. Best Chase. Good Final Jump. Kills lack the effects of 1, though. My favorite of the series because of Ginny, Jason's backstory, and an awesome chase/psych-out at the end. Enhancements on epic score.

F3: The 3D gimmick. Sooo dull and lazy. Cool atmosphere and some good characters. Jason with hockey mask is iconic, though. Weird Jason flashbacks and decent chase. One of the worst Final Girls. Terrible Thriller-rip off intro score, but rest of movie score is decent.

F4: Jason's dead gimmick. My favorite of the Hockey Mask era. Great characters/relationships, great recap in the intro, great and grimy atmosphere. Savanni effects/kills are back and kickass. Final conflict is outstanding and last reveal is a great setup (although never followed through).

F5: The carry-the-torch gimmick (or is it?): The insane one. Hated it as a kid, but love it as an adult. Pure sleaze, but entertaining and often even funny. High kill and boob count. Cheaper, though. Nonsense conflict and BS ending/setup. Loved Tommy's MMA skills. Great/outrageous characters, especially Ethyl.

F6: The zombie gimmick. The MTV rock video. A few good characters plus a lot of unmemorable ones. Goofy and hokey in parts. Tommy lost his fight skills. Full of old school references and gags. Story is ultimately boring. Too many full on shots of Jason in the daylight. Score is even hokey.

F7: The psychic gimmick. Off the rails again. Aping success of recent Dream Warriors box office, we're introduced to a psychic for a showdown. Dreadful secondary characters and boring plot. Great recap intro by Ralph. Best looking effects for Zombie Jason era. Nonsense climax and even worse of an ending. Dark Ambient intro score is out of place, but still epic.

F8: NYC Gimmick. Boat ride to Vancouver. Marketed poorly/incorrectly. Boat was/could have been a good/better atmosphere. More vile secondary characters and some go-nowhere side plots. Kills ape Freddy's a bit. Terrible intro retelling. Horrible and nonsensical climax, Jason talk-whines, and melts. One of my lesser favs.

F9: a complete abomination with a family Halloween aping, a friggin magic dagger, and a "new" retro backstory (not just a mountain man killer but something greater, such as a body-jumping sperm demon). Terrible characters (except the Duke) and POS story, worse climax, but nice touch of a final shot. Buck Rogers chick is awesome; Jason man-shaving, driving, and talking are not awesome. If you'll notice, about this time in horror, all of the major franchises did something similar with conspiracy theories or some greater revelation (what I call the X-Files effect): Halloween had the Thorn cult; Elm Street had the genie-out-of-the bottle thing in New Nightmare; and the Texas Chainsaw Massacre had the friggin Illuminati, of all things. Anyway, Part 9 is the worst of the soundtracks/scores.

P10: Jason in space is like a what-if comic that apes about everything, yet is still somehow entertaining. Great cameo, action-packed intro, and ridiculous space clothes. Kay-Em mugs it for the camera and it's hilarious. The effects are sub sci-fi channel, there are several groan lines, and Jason gets humped into orbit at the climax. Also the soundtrack sucks.

P11: FvJ: one of the funnest Freddy movies with Jason cameos. A great/fun watch and how a "what if" comic book version should be. Jason portrayal was quite different, though (more Frankensteiny) and no Kane Hodder made it suffer.

F12: 2009: Remake. Dropped the ball on this one, big time. Kills are more brutal, but most are off screen and or just the same stab. Characters are better and Jason is menacing as F. Summary of 2, 3, and 4, basically. Running was fine; traps were fine; bells were not fine; and tunnels were unnecessary. So many lost opportunities, though. Boring chase and disappointing finale.

Fan-made: Never Sleep Again: a fan made found footage of a single guy hiking through Camp Crystal Lake. Much of it is a series of chasedowns and it's actually better than you would think (better than 8 and 9, for sure).

Join us as we discuss all things schlock at Three Knock Theater podcast:

Facebook Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/197572800347267/

Youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrLYkyXabfSwpcRQjhUMErQ
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2018, 12:44:55 PM »

cool, interesting to read different takes on the series... I want to see Part 2 again, must be nearly 10 years since I last saw it.

btw I picked up the arrow blu ray of THE BURNING the other week, in the extras Tom Savini (who these days literally looks about 5 years older than his 1981 self) explains how he turned down F13 Pt2 to do the burning instead...
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 12:47:21 PM by zombie #1 » Logged

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2018, 12:52:57 PM »

cool, interesting to read different takes on the series... I want to see Part 2 again, must be nearly 10 years since I last saw it.

btw I picked up the arrow blu ray of THE BURNING the other week, in the extras Tom Savini (who these days literally looks about 5 years older than his 1981 self) explains how he turned down F13 Pt2 to do the burning instead...
The BURNING is what F13 could have been. The BURNING is fantastic!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2018, 01:22:28 PM »

yes it's a good'un. not sure where I'd place it in my top slashers list but it would be up there somewhere...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  do we need a new friday 13th? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.