Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:58:26 AM
713332 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  ZOMBIE HOLOCAUST: Just viewed the Shriek Show DVD « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: ZOMBIE HOLOCAUST: Just viewed the Shriek Show DVD  (Read 4462 times)
Chris K.
« on: May 26, 2002, 11:07:57 AM »

Shriek Show has done it again! With their DVD release of ZOMBIE HOLOCAUST (a.k.a. DOCTOR BUTCHER M.D.) complete and uncut, I am now glad to see this version finally get a well-deserved release.

ZOMBIE HOLOCAUST is presented in it's original 1.85:1 and Anamorphic. It's completely uncut, so forget the weird Walter E. Sear electronic music on the DOCTOR BUTCHER M.D. version and concentrate on the original score.

For extra features, the original American and German trailer are present. The international trailer has appeared on the JUNGLE HOLOCAUST DVD, but it's not on the ZOMBIE HOLOCAUST disk. Their is also a "Deleated Scene" with our characters wandering around a winter forest area (this was scrapped because the backgrounds did not match with the island scenes, however it does appear in the U.S. version). Two intervews, one with FX artist Maurizio Trani and the other with Roy Frumkies, are also on the disk. Trani seemed to be a little uptight and not too informative. Roy Frumkies, on the other hand, was very excited about this interview. He mentions about his film TALES THAT'LL TEAR YOU HEART OUT and how it was intended to be an anthology of seven tales made by seven directors (one of those directors was Wes Craven!) and that it was never compleated. What happened was producer Terry Levine aquired ZOMBIE HOLOCAUST and had the film retitled to CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST, but he didn't have the rights to the title due to Ruggero Deobato's film of the same name so he wasn't going to put anymore money in the title sequence. But, somehow Levine was told about Frumkies film and Levine gave Frumkies $300 for 3 minutes of his zombie footage and retitled the film DOCTOR BUTCHER M.D. And that is the rest of the story. And Roy was able to show us some of the other TALES THAT'LL TEAR YOUR HEART OUT scenes with commentary by him. And last, their are some "Coming Soon" trailers for BEYOND THE DARKNESS, THE NIGHTS OF TERROR, EATEN ALIVE!, and JUNGLE HOLOCAUST (but titled LAST CANNIBAL WORLD).

All and all, a well-packaged DVD. However, I am really disappointed that an Ian McCulloch interview could not be done. Oh well, maybe next time.
chris
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2002, 02:14:08 PM »

It's amazing just how much he adds to any movie that he's in.  In Doctor Butcher (Zombie Holocaust for the more well refined) his every move is over-acted.  Just watch when he takes a drink of soda and throws out the can. AMAZING!  My favourite line is when the women runs up to him after he's motor-boated a zombies face to bits saying,  "Peter, Peter," (I know that's not his name in the movie, I forgot) and Sir Ian looks at her inquisitively and says, "Yeeees, but...".  GENIUS!  I'm suprised he doesn't have more of a following, especially since he was in the holy trinity of Italian gore flicks, Dr. Butcher, Alien Contamination and Zombie.  He deserves more roles, (at least cameos, c'mon!) today.
Steven Millan
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2002, 05:49:29 PM »

Sounds like a very exciting,worth-having DVD that you're talking about,Chris.
               I'm sure that both,all the other "Zombie Holocaust" scenes(deleted from the "Dr. Butcher" version),and Roy Frumkes' "Tales That'll Rip Your Heart Out" scenes are the best parts of this DVD,since it"ll be real intriguing to see how "Tales" would have been as a complete feature film(if it ever got the financial chance to be fully completed).
fred krueger
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2002, 09:51:20 PM »

IRAN MCCULLOCH IS DEAD DON'T LOOK FOR A FUTURE INTERVIEW
Cullen
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2002, 10:49:50 PM »

According to the IMDb, McCulloch is still around.  Did he pass recently?  Do you (krueger) know something they don't?

Not that it matters to me, exactly.  Just curious.

Source: http://us.imdb.com/Name?McCulloch,+Ian+(I)
chris
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2002, 11:05:13 PM »

He ain't dead, at least literally.  Last I heard was they were going to get an interview with "The Man" for this disc and he's trying to get his show "Survivors" back on the air in Britain.  I mean, the man survived cannibals, zombies and aliens, what could possibly kill him?  Serious question to Chris K.  I bought a bootleg off the internet of Dr. Butcher M.D. and the aspect rato was 2:3:5 and looks beautiful.  There's no technical specs on th IMDB, so do you know which ratio is correct?  Thanks.
Chris K.
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2002, 11:52:03 PM »

The ORIGINAL apsect ratio for ZOMBIE HOLOCAUST is 1.85:1, not 2.35:1. However, it seems likely that your 2.35:1 video version of DOCTOR BUTCHER M.D. might have been stretched from side-to-side from it's 1.85:1 aspect ratio to make it look like it's in 2.35:1. But then, their is the possibility of the U.S. distributor Terry Levine may have had the film processed for 2.35:1.

I don't really know, but these are the possibilities. All I know is that I have looked at my old copy of the Thrillervideo version of DOCTOR BUTCHER M.D. and it seems to be scanned from a 1.85:1 print.

But if you are curious and and Ian McCulloch fan, then I suggest you get the ZOMBIE HOLOCAUST DVD soon. And if you don't have a DVD player, from what I hear Shriek Show offers the film on video in Widescreen.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  ZOMBIE HOLOCAUST: Just viewed the Shriek Show DVD « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.