Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:02:17 PM
713373 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Fair Use is under attack, as usual « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Fair Use is under attack, as usual  (Read 2078 times)
Andrew
« on: May 26, 2002, 01:37:15 PM »

The MPAA, RIAA, and others are always trying to extend their rights and that is always at the cost of the public's.  That Congress passed an extension to the Copyright act is bad enough, but interested parties might want to read this article:

http://bpdg.blogs.eff.org/archives/000113.html

This does a good job of breaking the issue down into "plain" language.  The writer does get a little alarmist, but issues like this also infringe on the ability of review sites, so I can see the point.

Let's not even get into the problem with CDs that say "Compact Disc," but have copy protection (which is not an approved part of the CD standard) that can totally hose up computers.  I know Apple is loving that.

Andrew
Neo
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2002, 01:47:27 PM »

I can understand the stopping of illegal taping and distribution of films while still in the theatre, but to end all forms of dubbing and promotion by second parties is just ridiculous! They don't understand just how much more they make because of people like Andrew and other secondary outlets. I wonder if they stopped to think about this. They jack up all kinds of security and end up having to add that cost into the movie ticket. I already hate having to pay $8 per person to go see a film in the theatre. I WILL NOT pay $10 just for added security of copy protection. I am sure alot of people would cease going to the theatres because of that! Hell, I can spend that much and get the bootleg at home!! Regardless of the security they add, there will ALWAYS be crackers for the codes!

-Neo-
Squishy
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2002, 05:53:42 PM »

Executive: "Muh-money! Muh-must make more money! Money! Money! Monieeeeeeeeeeeey!"
Sane Person: "This will end up costing you money, in the end."
(Executive stares blankly at Sane Person for three minutes. The room gradually fills with the odor or burning garbage.)
Executive: "MONEY! MONEY! MONEY! EEEEEEEEEEEEE!"
J.R.
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2002, 11:10:54 PM »

Come on, do these companies really need more cash? Take CDs: On average, the artist who is credited as the album's main performer is paid 90 cents to 1 dollar for every CD sold. The average CD costs around 15 to 16 dollars. If the album goes platinum, that's 14 to 15 million dollars in the music company's pocket. And I'm sure they have, er, "creative bookkeeping" that allows them to skimp on paying taxes on that sum. Thing is, it only costs around 11 cents to manufacture a Compact Disc. What I'm wondering is: With these new ACD's will I still be able to tape things off of TV? No. I bought the TV, subscribe to the cable company and payed for the blank tape, why should I have to pay even more?WIll I be able to mix customized CDs? No. I bought the albums with the tracks, bught the burning software, and as I see it, these things are my property to do with as I see fit, as long as I don't sell it for profit. Technology is something every person should be able to use freely.
The Bard
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2002, 11:24:11 PM »

I'm worried as normal with this, but you gotta look at the bright side. 99% of the time these measures work for maybe 3 months before someones figured out how to crack them. Look at what a felt pen did to the Sony CD's security.
Pete B6K
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2002, 04:04:47 PM »

What did it do?
mr. henry
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2002, 12:48:44 AM »

Director of REPO MAN and Sid and Nancy speaks out!

here's a somewhat related article insomuch as the DMCA etc. is the result of big business running the show. i've seen a few such articles by more independent directors AGAINST the hysteria.

(sigh...then again...have we seen anything from alex cox since "straight to hell," which followed "Sid and Nancy." IMDB does show an "Emmanual"-TV movie...)

http://media.guardian.co.uk/mediaguardian/story/0,7558,722669,00.html

Oh yeah, I hear the publishing companies are going to print books that can only be read in certain rooms under special lightbulbs...they will self-destruct killing anyone w/in 50 yards of a copying machine...when will it end???
John Morgan
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2002, 01:55:09 PM »

I indicated before that one day production companies would find a way to stop ALL coping.  The idea I had was that people would subscribe to a single "entertainment network" from which they could download only the TV shows and Songs they like.  You buy a CD with 16 songs on it for that 1 song you heard on the radio.  You subscribe to cable but only watch 10 TV shows a week.  Why not pay for only what you use?  You want to watch the new episode of Farscape but you don't have the time to watch it on Friday's.  Don't worry; you can watch it ANY TIME DURING THE WEEK because you can view it any time.  Want to see the 18th episode of I Love Lucy?  No problem, you can view it any time.  The production company that has the rights to the shows will have them in easy access for anyone with the special subscription system.  You pay only a few cents for each show or song you watch.  VCRs and CD Burners would be a thing of the past.  

Though this is not what we would like to hear, I still see it coming.  With Digital TV and Radio systems, the companies will never allow copyrighted material out of their possession.  It will be on their "servers" only (Or whoever they sell the license to).  No one will be able to record it because those devices will be illegal.  That's what they want.  If the lobby group is a powerful as they seem to be, it can happen.  

As for critics, Hollywood seems to tolerate them but does not like them.  Why is it most reviews for a movie come out the day of or day after the movie is in the theaters.  Many critics get to see the movie weeks before it is released.  If the critics didn't like the movie, they could KILL the opening weekend (the time when most movie make the most money.)  With this technology, Hollywood would be able to control the critics by showing them only the best portions of a movie or only the movies that they know will get great reviews.  ("We'll just let the stupid people go see Freddy Got Fingered without the benefit of a critics warnings.")

It's not what I want to see, but I do see something like it coming fast.
Frannie
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2002, 02:48:07 PM »

someone figured out that if you used a pen and colored in the edge of the cd then the copy protection would go away.  how the hell they got to that phase of their research i don't know.  

*bt.w. i got that info from howard stern's show.  america's finest news source!
john
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2002, 12:02:41 AM »

Check out this site;

http://judiciary.senate.gov/special/feature.cfm

And read the user comments. Unfortunately, it hasn't been updated since April 15th, but there are at least a couple hundred comments on there, all opposing the proposed copyright measures.

If this concerns you, call, write and e-mail your elected officials and tell them you don't want these measures passed.

If they do pass, I hope a test case come up right away so these laws can be defeated.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Fair Use is under attack, as usual « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.