Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:54:13 PM
713375 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  "Classics" you just don't get. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: "Classics" you just don't get.  (Read 11391 times)
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2018, 11:48:46 AM »

I actually like EXORCIST III very much. But 2 was a mess.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
zombie no.one
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Oookaay...

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2018, 01:08:17 PM »

quite an entertaining mess, I thought. only saw it once, don't really want to see it again...

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2018, 01:29:44 PM »

The Wizard of Oz, all 3 Lord of the Rings movies, Diabolique,  Annie Hall, Manhattan, Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, The Producers, Night of the Hunter, Back to School, High Anxiety, La Strada
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 02:53:13 PM by bob » Logged

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2018, 02:05:59 PM »

THE EXCORCIST... like a boring tv movie. not scary, not tense, not thought provoking. a slog to get through.

You have seen too many grotesque movies... THE EXORCIST is a great film that could not get made today.   Hell, it ain't FRIDAY THE 13TH, there is a literate script at the heart of THE EXORCIST
I have to agree with that.
No gore or heads being chopped off. A very thoughtful movie, actually.
 And it scared the s**t out of me.
No gore?  Reconsider the scenes with the puking... or how about what Regan does with the crucifix... and what she says!!  
Thats not limbs being chopped off with blood flying all over. Shocking? Yes. But gory? No.
We don't quite agree about what might or might not be gory.  It's sort of like TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE, which many people seem to remember as gory.  It's not.  It is relentless, though.  I know you know. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2018, 02:18:28 PM »

Sven- I know BOAN was important to the advancement of cinema. Still think it's boring and trite.

Like you need to be educated in film...  TongueOut

Oh yeah some more....

. Any John Wayne movie. "Any good redskin is a dead redskin". f**k John Wayne.
Try and watch the GREEN BERETS some time. Or that Genghis Khan mess. Ugh.
(though I like the SONS OF KATIE ELDER just because of Dean Martin. I like Dean Martin.)

. Any Woody Allen movie. Whiny self centered b***hing is not my idea of funny.
(wait a minute...I do that all the time... Bluesad)
Whatever. Still don't like his movies.
I don't think your assessment of JOHN WAYNE is fair... that's certainly the image, particulaly 50 years ago... THE GREEN BERETS is a terrible movie, and SO out of touch with it's time.  I still like THE SHOOTIST, TRUE GRIT, THE SEARCHERS, STAGECOACH, THE QUIET MAN, THEY WERE EXPENDABLE...   

And we disagree about WOODY ALLEN, and for years.  You're not as bad on him as you used to be.  HANNAH AND HER SISTERS is probably my favorite movie, but it has a wonderful cast, script, and WOODY is only a fraction of it (and probably the funniest part).  CRIMES AND MISDEMEANORS has a small part for WOODY, but it's MARTIN LANDAU that carries WOODY ALLEN's greatest film (just my opinion).  I like many, but not all, of WOODY movies. 

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2018, 05:35:15 PM »

The Wizard of Oz,

The WIZARD OF OZ was something of an event in our house in the 60's and 70's. It was like a holiday. It played on TV every year for years. Dad would make popcorn!And he watched it! And usually the only thing he watched on TV was All In the Famliy, the news, f**king Hee Haw, and Soul Train.
I really never got to know my Dad well.  Bluesad I wish I had.

Anyway!

As far as John Wayne goes--he can go f**k the horse he rode in on. From what I read, he was pretty much a macho a***ole phony in real life, and felt uncomfertble with actors who were actually in WW2,  (Jimmy Stewart, Henry Fonda) because he applied for exemption from service.

« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 05:51:22 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2018, 07:37:06 PM »

...As far as John Wayne goes--he can go f**k the horse he rode in on. From what I read, he was pretty much a macho a***ole phony in real life, and felt uncomfertble with actors who were actually in WW2,  (Jimmy Stewart, Henry Fonda) because he applied for exemption from service.

Okay, you don't like him.  He got a deferment through efforts of Republic Pictures, and though too old to be drafted, he COULD have volunteered to serve.  He didn't.  And still gets jabs for NOT serving.  Yet, apparently his lack of efforts to serve has yielded evidence that he did try to serve... In any case, I think I like JOHN WAYNE movies better than most with JIMMY STEWART or HENRY FONDA...  although MY DARLING CLEMENTINE, a HENRY FONDA film, is my favorite Western. 

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2018, 07:59:15 PM »

...As far as John Wayne goes--he can go f**k the horse he rode in on. From what I read, he was pretty much a macho a***ole phony in real life, and felt uncomfertble with actors who were actually in WW2,  (Jimmy Stewart, Henry Fonda) because he applied for exemption from service.

Okay, you don't like him.  He got a deferment through efforts of Republic Pictures, and though too old to be drafted, he COULD have volunteered to serve.  He didn't.  And still gets jabs for NOT serving.  Yet, apparently his lack of efforts to serve has yielded evidence that he did try to serve... In any case, I think I like JOHN WAYNE movies better than most with JIMMY STEWART or HENRY FONDA...  although MY DARLING CLEMENTINE, a HENRY FONDA film, is my favorite Western.  

I gotta say, I prefer HARVEY and VERTIGO over any Wayne horse opera.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 08:07:42 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2018, 06:01:15 PM »

Okay, you don't like him.  He got a deferment through efforts of Republic Pictures, and though too old to be drafted, he COULD have volunteered to serve.  He didn't.  And still gets jabs for NOT serving.  Yet, apparently his lack of efforts to serve has yielded evidence that he did try to serve... In any case, I think I like JOHN WAYNE movies better than most with JIMMY STEWART or HENRY FONDA...  although MY DARLING CLEMENTINE, a HENRY FONDA film, is my favorite Western.  
I gotta say, I prefer HARVEY and VERTIGO over any Wayne horse opera.

Good point.  However, REAR WINDOW is a film I've often considered my favorite... and then there's VERTIGO.  I like a lot of JIMMY STEWART movies, but not HARVEY

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2018, 06:17:03 PM »

The whole ROCKY franchise.  Never seen them, no particular desire to, I don't like boxing in general, and Stallone is way overrated anyway.
And I have never seen any of the GODFATHER movies.  I understand they are classics, I get that, but they just don't spark any interest in me.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2018, 07:02:43 PM »

The whole ROCKY franchise.  Never seen them, no particular desire to, I don't like boxing in general, and Stallone is way overrated anyway.
And I have never seen any of the GODFATHER movies.  I understand they are classics, I get that, but they just don't spark any interest in me.

I have no use for ROCKY either. Or RAMBO. I did kinda like FIRST BLOOD, where Rambo was a psycho 'Nam vet.
It took me a looong time to enjoy the GODFATHER movies (1 and 2- 3 sucks wind).

.the LORD OF THE RING series makes me long for the old BAD TASTE/ BRAINDEAD Peter Jackson.
.I found ANIMAL HOUSE to be unfunny and stupid.
Same goes for CADDYSHACK, MEATBALLS, or that 'Bill Murray joins the Army' movie. In fact I can't think of any Bill Murray movie I like. Come to think of it, the only movies I liked that had ex-SNL players in them is VACATION and CHRISTMAS VACATION.

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2018, 07:10:55 PM »

check out 36th chamber of Shaolin aka The Master Killer instead. It's kind of the Chinese Rocky

Small | Large
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2018, 11:20:09 AM »

Same goes for CADDYSHACK, MEATBALLS, or that 'Bill Murray joins the Army' movie. In fact I can't think of any Bill Murray movie I like. Come to think of it, the only movies I liked that had ex-SNL players in them is VACATION and CHRISTMAS VACATION.

I like the part where JOHN BELUSHI smashes the folk singer's guitar in ANIMAL HOUSE
I like the part where RODNEY DANGERFIELD farts loudly in CADDYSHACK and exclaims "Who stepped on a duck?"

I like one BILL MURRAY movie: GROUNDHOG DAY

bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2018, 03:55:12 PM »

I have no use for ROCKY either. Or RAMBO. I did kinda like FIRST BLOOD, where Rambo was a psycho 'Nam vet.
It took me a looong time to enjoy the GODFATHER movies (1 and 2- 3 sucks wind).

.the LORD OF THE RING series makes me long for the old BAD TASTE/ BRAINDEAD Peter Jackson.

I believe that is Stripes

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2018, 06:28:11 PM »

THE EXCORCIST... like a boring tv movie. not scary, not tense, not thought provoking. a slog to get through.

You have seen too many grotesque movies... THE EXORCIST is a great film that could not get made today.   Hell, it ain't FRIDAY THE 13TH, there is a literate script at the heart of THE EXORCIST

THE EXORCIST scared the entire nation (I'm talking U.S.A., I assume it was the same elsewhere). I remember when it was in theaters . . . everyone was talking about it . . . church attendance increased . . . TV talk shows had various experts in history and religion as guests . . . it was everywhere. No horror movie since (with the exception of JAWS, which probably scared nearly as many people) has come close to that kind of impact. Not. Even. Close.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  "Classics" you just don't get. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.