Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:02:04 AM
713389 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Favorite President « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: Favorite President  (Read 14932 times)
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2018, 06:43:23 PM »

Yes he did!  He was a strong supporter of FDR in the 30's, but then after the war he saw the Democrat party trending further to the left than he was comfortable with, and he became more and more conservative.
He liked to say: "I didn't leave the Democratic Party, it left me!"
But to his credit, his politics rarely got personal.  He maintained warm friendships with people on both sides of the aisle, even when they fought epic battles over policy.  Even his political rivals generally conceded that Reagan was a genuinely nice guy who loved his country dearly.
I actually kinda liked Reagan. I didn't care for the Iran/Contra thing, or his "trickle down" economics policy, but he had a good heart, and he was a very sharp man, more than some folks on the left give him credit for.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 06:49:44 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2018, 06:48:56 PM »

I hate all the presidents.  lincoln started a war that killed 600,000 americans almost all of whom had nothing to do with slavery. great problem solver there

roosevelt gets credit for ending prohibition, but honestly the best president was bush 1. you forgot he was there. we need more mediocre bueaurcrat presidents less "visionaries" leave that to the private sector

Hmmm, let's see.....wasn't he the wimp that got us into iraq after it abosrbed the family ran oil corporation called kuwaite? How was that our business?

Saddam Hussein was a brutal dictator and a mass murderer but he did keep the radical islamofascists out of iraq. After the shrub took him out it opened up the middle east to islamoifascist groups like ISIS.

I gotta agree on on Bush. Both Bush's actually. The wars in the Middle East were done simply for oil . That's kinda a given.Though the consequenses of deposing scumbag Saddam were bad, killing that murdering sad sack of s**t was a good thing.
And the ISIS thing- that would have happened no matter what.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 06:51:09 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2018, 07:04:19 PM »

roosevelt gets credit for ending prohibition, but honestly the best president was bush 1. you forgot he was there. we need more mediocre bueaurcrat presidents less "visionaries" leave that to the private sector

You never fail to amaze me. No credit to Roosevelt for his policys that pulled us out of the Great Depression? Or defeating the the Nazis?

As far as 'medicore' presidents-  Yeah, lets leave WWII to the private sector. Let's leave the Cuban Missile Crisis to the private sector.
If we left that to the private sector, half this country would be in slavery the other half would be bombed out by Russia, and whats left of Europe would be run by Adolf Hitler Jr.
Seriously?  Question
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 07:08:17 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2018, 07:44:25 PM »

Nixon did a lot of good, but it was wiped out by his crimes.
Besides Watergate, he also backed up the McCarthy witch hunts of the 50's.
And prolonging the Vietnam War.
But he did get China to open up to the West- I'll credit him with that.
Though Kissinger likely had more to do with that then Tricky Dick.
The difference between Nixon and McCarthy is that Nixon actually caught a REAL communist spy, Alger Hiss, who was a very high-ranking official in the State Dept.  Stalin had managed to infiltrate every branch of the military and every single department in the executive branch by the end of World War II - that's a matter of record now.  McCarthy launched his fake witch-hunt for imaginary Communists because he was jealous of the acclaim Nixon had earned for catching a real one.
Nixon ended the Vietnam War; that was his plan from the start, but he didn't want to scramble out completely, all at once, and abandon our ally.  He did his best to make sure South Vietnam would be able to stand on its own, but then Congress violated the terms of our withdrawal and cut ALL aid to South Vietnam.  When the NVA made their last big push, SV was unable to stand, in the end.  They were a weak, corrupt ally, but they were our ally, and Nixon tried hard to do right by them.
All water under the bridge now, of course, a topic for historical debate rather than heated argument.  But it is worth remembering, amid all the bad he did, that Nixon was a remarkably intelligent and accomplished man whose greatest crime was cheating to win an election he was going to win anyway.  It was completely unnecessary, but his paranoia and anger at his political enemies got the best of him, and he destroyed himself.
I ain't gonna argue with a history teacher.  Smile
There are many more reasons I think Nixon was despicable-but I won't go into that.
But those are my personal feelings about him.
Like you said- its a matter of opinion...

Here's something else good NIXON did :  he created the EPA

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2018, 08:27:43 PM »

And the Clean Air and Water Act.
And the Endangered Species Act.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2018, 09:03:09 PM »

And OSHA

yeah no.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2018, 09:06:30 PM »

OK! OK! I get it !!

I still don't like him!   TongueOut

« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 09:12:15 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Svengoolie 3
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2018, 09:39:36 PM »

Nixon deliberately tried to actively sabotage democracy. That outweighs any positive thing he did.

You know who doesn't get enough credit? Washington. Yeah, old George, one one who didn't get america into unnecessary or utterly false flag wars. He could have stayed in office indefinitely. He really could have, he was offered lifetime presidency. Lifetime power.

At Washington's time staying in power for life was a normal thing. And power is an addictive thing, terribly addictive.

Even king George of England  bet Washington would bit walk away from power voluntarily.

Well, he did. He believed in democracy, in limited power, in not being g a ruler for life. He set a precedent that much of the rest of the world followed in later centuries.

He deserves credit for that. A lot of credit.

The doctor that circumcised Trump threw away the wrong piece.
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2018, 09:51:41 PM »

Leaving "Tricky Dick"  aside for the moment . . .

Washington gets a lot of credit, and deserves it; for all the reasons you cite and more.
The man served as commander of the Continental Army for 8 years and accepted NO salary for it.
At the end of the war, with a pitifully weak and divided national government and a loyal army at his back, he could have seized power.
His men offered to make him King - and he refused.  He handed his sword over to Congress and returned to farming.
When the Confederation government proved too weak to govern, he lent his support to the Constitutional Convention.
He didn't want to be President, but he accepted the job when elected, even though he believed it would kill him (he came from a short-lived family and had already lived longer than his father, grandfather, or brother).
But after being President for 8 years, maintaining a smooth course between battling factions, he voluntarily stepped down.
And went BACK to farming.

Few more brave and decent people have ever lived.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2018, 08:33:53 AM »

Reagan is a mixed bag. I get two different point of views; some love him, and others hated him. Since I wasn't there to witness him, I can't say. I don't want to dive into an argument where people are shouting at me to love him/hate him.

yeah no.
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2018, 08:38:26 AM »

I think where you fall on the political spectrum still determines, to some degree, how you feel about President Reagan.

El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2018, 08:47:20 AM »

I think where you fall on the political spectrum still determines, to some degree, how you feel about President Reagan.
I think I am centrist. I'm neither conservative nor liberal. I want to listen to both sides to get the full story, but with extreme conservatives and liberals yelling at each other it gets harder and harder to make me care for either. I like John Kennedy since he isn't like a regular conservative, and I like John Bell Edwards since he isn't like a regular Democrat. Can't say the same with other people for Louisiana, especially the one who said that he was running out the clock to get a bill passed.

yeah no.
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2018, 09:36:23 AM »

I used to consider myself pretty far to the right, but the GOP has lurched so far right in recent years it has left me barely right of center.
I'm an old-school Reagan Republican shaking my head at the sorry state of things today . . .

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2018, 09:50:45 AM »

svengoolie - thats a good point. but before iraq he was good and at least he didn't occupy it. it terms of demeanor though I liked him. Our governor in MA Charlie Baker is like that. moderate republican who keeps himself out of the news.

RC - " No credit to Roosevelt for his policys that pulled us out of the Great Depression? Or defeating the the Nazis?"

the whole reason it was a "Great" depression was because his policies were so bad. and Russia gets most of the credit for defeating the nazis. and why exactly should we celebrate condemning eastern europe to the iron curtain ? the whole thing was a disaster and part and parcel of the bloody, horrible 20th century. millions dead

"Yeah, lets leave WWII to the private sector."  my point was we don't need a minister in chief. our country isn't about wars its about people and their families and their communities. the president helps facilitate services provided to them. He's the boss of our representatives not us. we're the boss

re nixon lets not forget his war on our money supply https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nixon_shock all in the name of continuing the Vietnam war! the various agencies were all just part and parcel of his plan of centralization of power. How much did he care about the environment? who knows

The Mao meeting was good though.

Reagan was okay but I didn't like all the military spending. I never understood the cold war logic: lets goad Russia into building thousands of missiles pointed at our major cities as a way of defeating them! huh???

« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 10:41:11 AM by lester1/2jr » Logged
Pacman000
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2018, 11:45:34 AM »

Not to defeat them; to make sure they can't defeat us; to make sure we're at least on equal terms.

Of course, both countries probably had enough missiles to render earth uninhabitable, so.... it was all kinda pointless after a point.

Don't know who my favorite president it; they all have good & bad points. I'm afraid if I were to try to choose my choice would be based on name recognition instead of any real positive factor.

Everyone's made good points on their favorite/least favorite tho.  Smile
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Favorite President « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.