Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:22:01 PM
714251 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Favorite President « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Author Topic: Favorite President  (Read 15249 times)
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #60 on: June 27, 2018, 10:18:27 AM »

My al time favorite description of the iraq war came from former RNC director Michael Steele, then speaking anonymously "It didn't work"
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #61 on: June 27, 2018, 10:26:13 AM »

Don't get me wrong- none of this is ethical.
The Bush's ain't getting no Brownie points from me.
I could give a f**k less about they're $$$ making machine in the Mid-East.
I just understand how it happened, and why.
It doesn't make me angry anymore, like when it first happened. Now I look at it as history- just like I will look at what's happening now as very interesting  future history.

f**k, man. I remember being angry at Nixon- and I was just a kid!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 10:30:31 AM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #62 on: June 27, 2018, 10:37:45 AM »

I was never angry at Jimmy Carter.
I was never angry at Gerald Ford either. Poor Gerald (he's from Michigan, ya know). I felt sorry for him. He had to be President after Nixon. No wonder the guy was falling all over the place. He was having a nervous breakdown! Plus- a Manson girl tried to kill him! And some other crazy b***h!
The guy was a nervous wreck.
But I do think Ford was right in pardoning Nixon, in retrospect, because he knew the country had to move on- and loooong Nixon trials would destroy the country. So he was wise there.
It wasn't a popular move- he knew that. He wasn't  President because he wanted to be President.
But dragging out the Watergate s**t-with so many other things going on in the world at the time,-ya know He was right.
In fact- I think Gerald Ford was very under-rated as a President.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 10:48:51 AM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #63 on: June 27, 2018, 10:48:28 AM »

The vast majority of civilian casualties in Iraq were inflicted either A.  By other Iraqis , B. By foreign fighters who crossed the border to STOP Iraq from building a pro-Western government.

As for stealing their oil, the whole point is we DIDN'T take their oil. 
One of the things that Trump b****ed about during the election cycle.

The people killed in iraq were killed because hussein was removed and authority was eliminated, which lead to anarchy, the US was still guilty of creating that anarchy. THE American invasion of iraq was a war crime and it will forever be a stain on america.

Thankfully the iraq people vehemently resisted america's attempt to rob their nation and caused the effort by bush, cheney and their corporate masters to fail.

So you are THANKFUL the "Iraqi people"  (BS there, btw, over half the forces we fought in Iraq were from other Middle Eastern countries who were trying to STOP us from installing a more democratic government there) killed several thousand American soldiers?
Geez, you are every bit as hateful as those Westboro Baptist goons.  You should have joined the insurgency yourself.
Maybe living under Islamofascists for a year or two would give you an idea of what we were trying to STOP.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #64 on: June 27, 2018, 11:05:25 AM »

I reckon my opinion of Nixon was influnced very much by MAD magazine (the best comic book ever made).
This is NOT from Mad- this is a poster from 1960!

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #65 on: June 27, 2018, 11:07:35 AM »

I was never angry at Gerald Ford either. Poor Gerald (he's from Michigan, ya know). I felt sorry for him. He had to be President after Nixon. No wonder the guy was falling all over the place. He was having a nervous breakdown! Plus- a Manson girl tried to kill him! And some other crazy b***h!
But I do think Ford was right in pardoning Nixon, in retrospect, because he knew the country had to move on- and loooong Nixon trials would destroy the country. So he was wise there.
It wasn't a popular move- he knew that. He wasn't  President because he wanted to be President.
But dragging out the Watergate s**t-with so many other things going on in the world at the time,-ya know He was right.

I have vague memories of reading or hearing somewhere that Ford pardoned Nixon because of the practicalities of the situaiton. He could never be put in a regular prison, and house arrest would have been the only alternative would have cost a fortune in security. Not sure if that is the truth or not but it sounded feasable.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #66 on: June 27, 2018, 11:10:24 AM »

That may have been a consideration; I think a big part of it was that a trial for Nixon would have ripped the country apart even further at a time when we were ready to start healing.

BTW, the movie FROST/NIXON is a brilliant look at this era of American politics.
I am old enough to remember Nixon, and Frank Langella captured him perfectly!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #67 on: June 27, 2018, 11:15:46 AM »

I have vague memories of reading or hearing somewhere that Ford pardoned Nixon because of the practicalities of the situaiton. He could never be put in a regular prison, and house arrest would have been the only alternative would have cost a fortune in security. Not sure if that is the truth or not but it sounded feasable.

I'm sure that would have been considered in his pardon as well. That's sounds right.
I'm sure Ford knew, whatever he did, was not gonna sit good with everybody.
But he did what he had to do- because he wanted to make that s**t history- and take care of other s**t that needed done at the time. The Mid-East was all f**ked up.
There was a gas shortage because s**t was so f**ked up.
I remember our local gas station (we had 1) never had gas.
That's why they guard our oil in the mid-east.  By hook or crook. Or war.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 11:22:42 AM by RCMerchant » Logged

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #68 on: June 27, 2018, 11:47:47 AM »

In no way do I think Nixon was a good man. He was a sneaky, lying S.O.B.
But I ain't mad at him no more. It's history and he's dead.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 11:52:46 AM by RCMerchant » Logged

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #69 on: June 27, 2018, 12:15:18 PM »

In no way do I think Nixon was a good man. He was a sneaky, lying S.O.B.
But I ain't mad at him no more. It's history and he's dead.

Belly crawlin' faithless rat... 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #70 on: June 27, 2018, 12:51:36 PM »

...grumble grumble...

(making grouchy old man sounds)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 12:53:52 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #71 on: July 08, 2018, 12:20:47 PM »

Hard not to be boring and vote for Abraham Lincoln.

However, IMO the most important man in American history is James Madison, but  not for what he did as President (although he was a good President).

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #72 on: July 08, 2018, 02:12:15 PM »

Hard not to be boring and vote for Abraham Lincoln.

However, IMO the most important man in American history is James Madison, but  not for what he did as President (although he was a good President).

Madison was the "Father of the Constitution," no matter how hard he tried to deny it.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Favorite President « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.