Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:09:02 PM
714377 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Epic Movie Syndrome. « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Epic Movie Syndrome.  (Read 1567 times)
Svengoolie 3
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: June 25, 2018, 08:51:42 AM »

OK, a thread's talking about the original star wars movie. It also talked about how a lot of the sequels were awful.

I think I know one reason a lot of movies are worse than they should have been: They suffer from what I call "Epic Movie Syndrome".

EMS is what happens where a movie is not made to be the best movie it can be, and I think star wars was made to simply be the best movie they could make. It's when a movie is made to be an epic movie, it's when the writer/director whatever says "This can't just be a good movie, it has to be an EPIC MOVIE!"

I mean, star wars blew the top of the box office, reinvented movie making, started the tie in craze with toys, comics, models, shirts, dildos, ad infinitum. It created the massive tie in thing. It changed movies for good or bad.

So, the sequel suddenly had this massive load laced on it, it could not just be the best movie that people could make, it had to be a massive blockbuster.  I think the pressure to make it an epic movie caused it to suffer under what was expected of it.

To a degree I think star trek the motion picture had the same issue, it could not just be a good movie, it had to be an epic movie. Again, something that partially collapsed under the burden of having t be an epic movie.

Dune, of lord, that movie just beat you over the head with the fast it was no a movie it was an EPIC MOVIE! God, the sound track actually seemed to bellow at you "This is an EP-IC MO-VIE! EP-IC MO-VIE! EP-IC MO-VIEEEEE!"  We all know it pretty much collapsed under the weight of it's own epic aspirations.

Seriously, film makers, just make the best movie you can. Don't try to make an epic movie.  You're only adding to an already heavy burden when you try to do more than make an epic movie.

The doctor that circumcised Trump threw away the wrong piece.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 10:03:41 AM »

Or AVATAR. or 300. Or any Superhero movie (I'm getting burned out on them real fast.)
I agree about the first STAR TREK movie. It tried to hard to be 2001, but it was an unemotional f/x fest.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 10:16:56 AM »

Ever since JAWS, there's been a mentality in the movie business, especially during the Summer, that EVERY movie has to be an EPIC, and let's be honest, many of them do not live up to that hype. Especially if it's yet another installment of an long running franchise.

For example, I haven't seen Solo yet, but as soon as it opened to less-than-spectacular box office a few weeks ago, everyone in Hollywood was like, "but... but it's a Star Wars movie! You people are supposed to LOVE Star Wars movies! What went wrong?"

...well, maybe you shouldn't have released it just a few weeks after Avengers: Infinity War cuz that's obviously the movie that's eating everybody's lunch this year.

One of the most famous examples of this sort of thing blowing up in a studio's face has got to be Last Action Hero. The wheels started coming off of that movie early on, yet the studio made sure to keep that hype machine cranked up for months on end, like "It's gonna be HUGE! It's gonna be GREAT! Everyone is gonna love it! It is gonna THE Summer movie for 1993!" ... and then it opened the week after a little film nobody had ever heard of called "Jurassic Park." :D The rest is history, as they say.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 10:20:28 AM by FatFreddysCat » Logged

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 10:26:10 AM »

I miss movies where the blood looks like red paint and the fangs look like dime-store plastic teeth.  Bluesad

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2018, 02:38:36 PM »

JAWS is probably one of the very few 'epic' movies that I love. however it's more like 50/50 mix of epic and popcorn

most 'epic' movies to me sound so dull in theory that I can't even be bothered to watch them and find out (DANCES WITH WOLVES, TITANIC, LOTR, BRAVEHEART)

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Pacman000
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2018, 04:11:36 PM »

I wouldn't consider JAWS an epic movie; it lacks the grand scale of Gone with the Wind, Ben Hur, Star Wars, etc. It's certainly the movie which made producers consider blockbusters the key to survival; in the early 70's WB thought smaller films were a better investment. Less risk.

I don't mind epics; I just wish someone would bring back the intermission. Two and a half hours is too long to sit down without a bathroom break!

Especially when you're downing pop.  Drink
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Epic Movie Syndrome. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.