Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:03:46 PM
713364 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  "Good" kaiju movies. « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "Good" kaiju movies.  (Read 3236 times)
Svengoolie 3
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: June 27, 2018, 07:26:49 PM »

OK fair's fair. I started a bad kaiju movie thread, so to be fair and balanced I'll start a good kaiju thread.

Need I say I love shin Godzilla? It's not everyone's cup of tea I know, but I  love it.

"The x from outer space". Oh man this one had it all! Spaceships, alien flying omelette saucer, moon base, wonderfully cheesy monster, SCIENCE!, a couple real WTF moments, one almost scary scene and weird monster defeat. I could have done without the subtle ”xxxx Americans!" theme, but let it pass due to the wonderful b movie vibe.

The green slime. Kaiju or not? Well, the monsters weren't gigantic, but they made up for lack of size with huge numbers.  As cheesy as a movie can get but by ghawd the actors played it totally straight, giving it an air of surreality and camp equal to the batman series.

War of the monsters. The only original gamera movie without a g#dd@m Kenny and thus the best one. Better effects and darker tone than most, actually the most mature one of the lot and a lot more mature than most Godzilla movies, with graphic human on human violence and cruelty. Also one of the few kaiju movies to show a person graphically being eaten by a kaiju with a closeup of a giant tongue pulling him into the life sized mouth prop.

"Godzilla, mothra and king ghidorah" featured an honestly scary looking Godzilla who was pure evil. The white eyes and realistic looking teeth made him look genuinely frightening. It also had the guts to mention Japan's past, as in ww2 atrocities equalling Nazi Germany's, as the cause for this Godzilla. No "blame the Americans!" this time, and a bout time Japan owned up to its past Ghidorah still looked like ghidorah, mothra still looked like mothra and the third monster still looked kinda like a big, not to bright but loveable dog.

The doctor that circumcised Trump threw away the wrong piece.
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 07:52:22 PM »

I caught the original Godzilla (1954) earlier this year, in Japanese with subtitles, and no Raymond Burr.
It was much more coherent than the U.S. release I've been seeing all these years.

Also caught a Svenghoulie edit of 20 million miles to earth a few weeks ago.
Stop Motion has it's own thing, & once it got going, I thought Ymir was pretty effective.

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 08:42:44 PM »

Godzilla: KOTM  The original King Kong and Beast from 20,000 Fathoms are some personal favorites.

The Giant Behemoth is pretty good as well.  Haven't watched it in a while, but I remember liking it and it having some good stop motion.  I hear different stories about whether or not Wills O'Brien (the stop motion animator that created the original King Kong ) actually worked on it or merely supervised

« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 09:09:20 PM by WingedSerpent » Logged

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2018, 05:59:46 PM »

Godzilla: Final War is probably my favorite without the peanut gallery. Gamera vs. Guiron is my favorite with the MST3K crew.

yeah no.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2018, 10:51:01 PM »

The Giant Behemoth is pretty good as well.  Haven't watched it in a while, but I remember liking it and it having some good stop motion.  I hear different stories about whether or not Wills O'Brien (the stop motion animator that created the original King Kong ) actually worked on it or merely supervised

What I liked about it was it showed people getting killed in horrible ways- not just big monsters knocking down landmarks and buildings.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2018, 03:19:57 PM »

I caught the original Godzilla (1954) earlier this year, in Japanese with subtitles, and no Raymond Burr.
It was much more coherent than the U.S. release I've been seeing all these years.

Ech Raymond Burr version... The original edit GODZILLA (1954 ~ aka GOJIRA) is the best of the good.   

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Ticonderoga 64
Disillusionist

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2018, 07:11:19 PM »

I have to say that a few I would consider "good" would be:

Gojira(1954)
Rodan(1956)
Mothra vs Godzilla(1964)
Invasion Of the Astro-Monster(1966)
Frankenstein Conquers the World(1965)(international version)
Pacman000
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2018, 06:44:41 PM »

I actually liked Monster from a Prehistoric Planet. Models were a bit under detailed, but I enjoyed it just the same.

The 90's Gamera movies have gotten some praise, tho I've only seen one.

King Kong, The Lost World, & Beast from 20,000 Fathoms are all good too.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 10:29:46 AM by Pacman000 » Logged
Criswell
i got better
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2018, 08:36:15 AM »

The Gamera movies from the 90s are all well made and fun films.

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2018, 05:05:39 PM »

SKULL ISLAND the most recent Kong movie, is great....but it still an't hold a candle to the 1933 KING KONG.
I quite enjoyed GORGO (1961)  the Mama searching for her baby.
Call me weird, but I have a soft spot for KING KONG ESCAPES with Mecha Kong. Maybe cuz I saw it on the big screen back in the 70's.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Ticonderoga 64
Disillusionist

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2018, 11:22:06 AM »

I overlooked this one, certainly made with a bit of quality:

DAIMAJIN(1966)

Small | Large
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  "Good" kaiju movies. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.