Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 04:52:55 PM
714161 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7732 Members
Latest Member: Larryfiste
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Criterion Collection « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: The Criterion Collection  (Read 12604 times)
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2018, 11:28:18 PM »

More on John Waters-
Ok. H.G. Lewis made some gory movies in the early 60's. The only one I have watched more than once was 2000 MANIACS- and that was just because of the bluegrass music.
I feel the same about John Waters. I though PINK FLAMINGOS was brillant. But I will never watch it again.
Have you seen FEMALE TROUBLE?  I wouldn't recommend PINK FLAMINGOS, but, FEMALE TROUBLE I might.   It's not nearly as disgusting, is more of a movie, and with equally bad taste. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2018, 11:42:37 AM »

More on John Waters-
Ok. H.G. Lewis made some gory movies in the early 60's. The only one I have watched more than once was 2000 MANIACS- and that was just because of the bluegrass music.
I feel the same about John Waters. I though PINK FLAMINGOS was brillant. But I will never watch it again.
Have you seen FEMALE TROUBLE?  I wouldn't recommend PINK FLAMINGOS, but, FEMALE TROUBLE I might.   It's not nearly as disgusting, is more of a movie, and with equally bad taste. 

I think FEMALE TROUBLE is definitely better than PINK FLAMINGOS, which is just a geek show. DESPERATE LIVING might be the best of the three.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Olivia Bauer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2018, 04:16:37 PM »

Finally saw Fantastic Mr. Fox Criterion with my Dad and Sister. We all really enjoyed it. It came with a little booklet with all sorts of behind the scenes stuff.
There were plenty of interesting things on the disc itself, too. I think I'll buy more Criterion stuff in the future.

316zombie
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2018, 01:43:16 PM »

definitely get carnival of souls!
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2018, 09:29:24 AM »

More on John Waters-

I think FEMALE TROUBLE is definitely better than PINK FLAMINGOS, which is just a geek show. DESPERATE LIVING might be the best of the three.

How about MULTIPLE MANIACS with the "live puke eating" attraction? Waters really knew how to charm an audience!

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Olivia Bauer

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2018, 09:05:26 PM »

I just ordered Barry Lyndon. I've heard great things about it.

Svengoolie 3

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2018, 12:27:33 AM »

More on John Waters-

I might recommend pink flamingos for people trying to diet and who need an appetite suppressant...

The doctor that circumcised Trump threw away the wrong piece.
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2018, 08:04:51 AM »

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2018, 08:05:38 AM »

it's fantastic  TeddyR TeddyR

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
Olivia Bauer

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2019, 02:42:29 PM »

Just watched Being John Malkovich. Very strange but entertaining movie. I have to say, the concept alone caught my attention.
It's so weird to me that somebody actually had a thought and said to themselves: "What if I made a movie where people can see the world through the eyes of John Malkovich?".
This one, random, just kinda decent actor and somebody wrote an entire plot around him. I can only imagine what the pitch to Malkovich was.
But, hey! It was a really good time. It starts out very uncomfortable and kinda boring, but after John Malkovich first appears the thing takes off pretty fast.
It raises several philosophical questions and brings to light the darker nature of the human subconscious. It's a brilliantly written film and completely unique in it's nature.

7/10

I also saw half of Barry Lyndon. I feel like stupid caveman saying this but I found myself pretty bored trying to watch it. I like Kubrick but something about
European aristocrats, especially in that time period, activates some strange subconscious, possibly Pavlovian instinct that makes me bored instantly. Even Kubrick's
Full Metal Jacket didn't sit right with me because modern warfare makes me instantly bored for some reason. It's for this exact same reason I couldn't finish
Call of Duty 4 and have no interest in films like Saving Private Ryan. I don't know what it is, it's just this weird subconscious thing. The movie didn't do anything
wrong, I just personally couldn't get in to it.

No rating.

Finally, I saw Rosemary's Baby. Not gonna lie, this may be in my top ten best movies ever list. It's certainly my favorite horror film ever made.
It is the pinnacle of psychological horror and I just found the whole thing to be super artful and well done. I found myself often wondering if the whole
thing was really happening or if the main character is really just mentally ill. I was very happy and impressed with it.

10/10

---

I'm going to rate the Criterion movies I've seen so far. Since I didn't finish Barry Lyndon I will not be adding it to this list.
From best to worst:

1) Rosemary's Baby (10/10)
2) Fantastic Mr. Fox (8/10)
3) Being John Malkovich (7/10)

---

Please recommend some Criterion movies to me. Right now I have my eyes on Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samuari but more ideas are appreciated.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2019, 05:00:48 PM »

Here's a list of Criterion Collection titles reviewed on 366 Weird Movies: https://366weirdmovies.com/tag/criterion-collection/

Obviously, most of these will be in the "if you liked BEING JOHN MALKOVICH..." type. (Also a lot of Charlie Chaplin).

SEVEN SAMURAI is great, haven't seen the Criterion, though.

I'd consider WINGS OF DESIRE, TOKYO DRIFTER, BRANDED TO KILL, ORPHEUS, BEAUTY AND THE BEAST (1946), VAMPYR, THE RULING CLASS, THE NIGHT OF THE HUNTER, 3 WOMEN, VIDEODROME, REPO MAN, and HAUSU to start... although you know my tastes tend to the strange and surreal.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Archivist

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2019, 07:30:51 PM »

I have the Criterion release of Cronenberg's Scanners, which is a really nice remastered version in full widescreen, rather than the nasty 4:3 version that was on VHS and TV ages ago. It also has one of Cronenberg's first films, a black and white short film about experiments with telepathy.

One movie I plan to get on Criterion is EQUINOX (I always hear the title in the voice of the trailer voiceover guy).

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1 Small | Large

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2019, 10:00:07 PM »

Off the top of my head: The Game, Boyhood, Brazil and Heaven's Gate.

The Game is incredibly strange and weird. Incredibly well acted and very unique.

Boyhood is a the ultimate coming of age/growing up movie. Thoroughly enjoyable.

Brazil is one of the more strange movies I have ever seen. Excellent cast. It comes in a box set: Gilliam's directors cut which I think is far superior, the edition of the movie the studio released and one DVD full of special features.

Heaven's Gate is one of the most criminally underrated films off all time. Great cast. This film is a mostly historically inaccurate account of The Johnson County War.

Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2019, 01:57:18 AM »

Heaven's Gate is one of the most criminally underrated films off all time. Great cast. This film is a mostly historically inaccurate account of The Johnson County War.

I saw the 149 minute version in my home town theatre in 1981: I just couldn't understand the film and it was only later once I read Stephen Bach's book that I found out it had been cut down to that from 325 minutes!  Buggedout

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Archivist

« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2019, 06:12:49 AM »

Quote from: bob link=topic=150953.msg618908#msg618908 date=1550718007

The Game is incredibly strange and weird. Incredibly well acted and very unique.
[/quote

The Game with Michael Douglas is a great film. Come to think of it, I should rewatch it and take notes, the editing and cinematography were excellent.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Criterion Collection « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.