Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 10:55:03 PM
714193 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7733 Members
Latest Member: Mamie94489
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  TOP 5 Hammer Horrors! « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: TOP 5 Hammer Horrors!  (Read 13786 times)
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« on: July 13, 2018, 12:53:25 AM »

What's your T0P 5 favorite Hammer horrors? This can include the Quartermass series too!

Mine-?
1. The VAMPIRE LOVERS (1970) The more I watch this, the more I think it's the signature Hammer film of they're later period. The photography, the surreal, slow motion feel to it, and, of course, Ingrid Pitt.
I love it.
2.  TASTE THE BLOOD OF DRACULA (1969)
3. TWINS OF EVIL (1971) I'm on the early 70's Hammer kick lately....
4. VAMPIRE CIRCUS (1972)
5. The EVIL OF FRANKENSTEIN (1964)- I dunno why, becuase many of the Hammer FRANKENSTEIN movies are so much better made and thought out- but I like this one the best.

So what are your favorites? And why?

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Ticonderoga 64
Disillusionist
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 05:44:15 AM »

In no particular order:

QUATERMASS AND THE PIT(aka Five Million Years To Earth)(1967)..one of the best UK sci-fi films ever.
EVIL OF FRANKENSTEIN(1964)..the oddball in the Frankenstein series, yet, still the most fun with the hypnosis angle.
DRACULA, PRINCE OF DARKNESS(1966)..Barbara Shelley makes for a sexy vampiress and Christopher Lee is demonic here.
THE GORGON(1964)..Lee does a rare heroic turn here with Peter Cushing as the villain hiding the secret of Barbara Shelley.
BRIDES OF DRACULA(1960)..great follow up to Horror Of Dracula..Cushing was the best Van Helsing.
TWO FACES OF DR.JEKYLL(1960)..unusual turn on the Jekyll/Hyde tale with Paul Massie becoming handsome as Hyde.
THE MUMMY'S SHROUD(1967)..death curse follows the violators of an ancient tomb with a rather lively mummy.
THE VAMPIRE LOVERS(1970) Ingrid Pitt and Madeline Smith never looked better!
PLAGUE OF THE ZOMBIES(1966)..Hammer's only take on the zombie legend yet with some great eerie moments.
CURSE OF THE WEREWOLF(1961)..Roy Ashton's werewolf makeup on Oliver Reed is truly iconic with a great supporting cast.
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 07:24:28 AM »

Quatermass and the Pit - Got to be on any list of the best for me.
The Quiet Ones - A newer Hammer film but one I still enjoyed. Certainly found it better than Wake Wood.
Dracula - Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing. Need I say more?
Woman In Black - Another newer title that proves Hammer still have it.
The Gorgon - You could put pretty much any Hammer movie with bodices in here. They had a big effect on me as a boy, but I'll go with this one.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 08:49:52 AM »

The Quiet Ones - A newer Hammer film but one I still enjoyed. Certainly found it better than Wake Wood.
The Gorgon - You could put pretty much any Hammer movie with bodices in here. They had a big effect on me as a boy, but I'll go with this one.

I seen one of the new Hammer films. It was called the RESIDENT. It even had Christopher Lee!
But It didn't feel like a Hammer film.
 Something is missing. Bray Studios? The old Gothic atmosphere?  Buxom vampires, maybe?
It wasn't bad, but I don't think it's going on a Top 10  list anytime soon.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018, 08:52:26 AM »

I seen one of the new Hammer films. It was called the RESIDENT. It even had Christopher Lee!
 Something is missing. Bray Studios? The old Gothic atmosphere?  Buxom vampires, maybe?

Since not many of the original people involved are still around it is never quite going to feel the same. The gothic atmosphere most certainly isn't there, but would it still feel the same in a modern movie? They do need more buxom vampires and everyone having a cut glass english accent in the middle of Transylvania.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2018, 09:00:30 AM »

If I had to pick the next 5-

6.SCARS OF DRACULA (1970) Lee has more screen time and dialouge than all the previous Hammer sequels combined!
7. the QUATERMASS XPERIMENT (1956)
8. FRANKENSTEIN AND THE MONSTER FROM HELL (1973) Again- I don't know why.
9. the MUMMY (1959) This movie is better than the Karloff version and all the Chaney Jr. Mummy's.
10. ONE MILLION YEARS BC (1966) Raquel Welch? Ray Harryhausen? Dinosaurs? Martine Bestwick?  Yes, Ma'am-eggs and spam!

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 09:03:33 AM »

Since not many of the original people involved are still around it is never quite going to feel the same. The gothic atmosphere most certainly isn't there, but would it still feel the same in a modern movie? They do need more buxom vampires and everyone having a cut glass english accent in the middle of Transylvania.

I dunno. I think a Gothic horror film could be made today. Why not? I saw WINCHESTER the other day- that had a gothic flaver to it- and it was set in California in 1906!

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2018, 09:14:30 AM »

In no particular order:

CURSE OF THE WEREWOLF(1961)..Roy Ashton's werewolf makeup on Oliver Reed is truly iconic with a great supporting cast.
I always wondered why this was Hammer's only Werewolf movie. I always felt let down by this one. Not enough werewolf.

Little known factoid: Bela Lugosi was  in Hammer's very first film- the PHANTOM SHIP (1939) aka the MYSTERY OF THE MARIE CELESTE.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 09:17:49 AM by RCMerchant » Logged

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2018, 09:18:40 AM »

I dunno. I think a Gothic horror film could be made today. Why not? I saw WINCHESTER the other day- that had a gothic flaver to it- and it was set in California in 1906!

Oh, they have done gothic horror. Watch The Woman In Black (it is a pretty good film I think). It just doesn't have the same atmosphere as the old classics though. Its just not quite the same one as before. Times change alas.

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2018, 09:32:57 AM »

I'll have to check it out. It sounds interesting.
Of course it's not gonna feel like the old Hammer. Just like you can't go home again with the Universal monsters from the 1930's. Even Universal couldn't do it! Though SON OF DRACULA (1942) tried- But without Whale or Tod Browning....the Universal 1940's horror films were the equivelant of the TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE 2 was to Tobe Hoopers 1974 film.
I reckon you can't go home again.  Bluesad

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2018, 10:37:07 AM »

Sad but true my friend.

Ticonderoga 64
Disillusionist
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2018, 11:15:50 AM »

In no particular order:

I always wondered why this was Hammer's only Werewolf movie. I always felt let down by this one. Not enough werewolf.

Originally, it wasnt even slated to be a werewolf film; it was going to be a pseudo-historical film(like the later RASPUTIN THE MAD MONK) based on the horrors of the Spanish Inquisition. The sets were built and it was a go until Hammer execs become worried that it would offend the Catholic church and chickened out. It became a werewolf film then and that's why it was set in Spain due to the Spanish village sets made for the aborted film.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2018, 11:28:27 AM »

In no particular order:

Originally, it wasnt even slated to be a werewolf film; it was going to be a pseudo-historical film(like the later RASPUTIN THE MAD MONK) based on the horrors of the Spanish Inquisition. The sets were built and it was a go until Hammer execs become worried that it would offend the Catholic church and chickened out. It became a werewolf film then and that's why it was set in Spain due to the Spanish village sets made for the aborted film.

But why no more werewolf movies?
Amicus made the BEAST MUST DIE in 1974, and Tyburn made LEGEND OF THE WEREWOLF in 1975)- both with Peter Cushing!
LEGEND was even written by the the writer for CURSE OF THE WEREWOLF- Anthony Hinds!

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
316zombie
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2018, 04:25:33 PM »

hhmm..i'm gonna need to think on this to pick my top five....and i obviously need to look  up the new hammer stuff, since i didn't know it existed! i  am woefully ignorant of the movie news the last few years, life gets in the way.
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2018, 04:28:10 PM »

In no particular order:

But why no more werewolf movies?
Amicus made the BEAST MUST DIE in 1974, and Tyburn made LEGEND OF THE WEREWOLF in 1975)- both with Peter Cushing!
LEGEND was even written by the the writer for CURSE OF THE WEREWOLF- Anthony Hinds!

I don't know for sure, but I would guess that Werewolf's simply aren't as sexy as Vampires and Hammer figured out early that sex sells.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  TOP 5 Hammer Horrors! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.