Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:58:01 PM
713351 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Very little known facts about movies. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Author Topic: Very little known facts about movies.  (Read 39607 times)
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2018, 04:08:42 AM »

This was the first Western made in Africa:

I seen a Western, with Vincent Price, that was filmed in South Africa, if I'm not mistaken.

EDIT: the JACKALS (1967) was not exactly a western. It looks like a western, it feels like a western, but the story actually takes place in South Africa!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 04:19:37 AM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2018, 10:09:56 PM »

Edward G. Robinson did a filmed screen test as Dr. Zauis in an early ape make-up for PLANET OF THE APES (1968). I seen it.
I'm so glad they didn't go with that make-up.

Small | Large

EDIT: Well I f**ked that up! I was trying to post this photo of Eddie as Zauis-but of course I f**ked it up.  Lookingup

« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 10:42:42 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2018, 10:53:39 PM »

MAURICE EVANS, who played Samantha's estranged father on the TV show Bewitched, played Dr. Zaius

EDWARD G. ROBINSON would have also made a terrific Dr. Zaius.  Great pic.

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2018, 11:47:58 PM »

Lon Chaney Jr. did an anti smoking commercial (I remember seeing it) before he died of cancer. Just like his father. He died in 1973. He has no grave. He donated his body to science.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 11:52:16 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Svengoolie 3
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2018, 01:13:56 AM »

MAURICE EVANS, who played Samantha's estranged father on the TV show Bewitched, played Dr. Zaius

EDWARD G. ROBINSON would have also made a terrific Dr. Zaius.  Great pic.

i was about to say the same thing.

The doctor that circumcised Trump threw away the wrong piece.
Svengoolie 3

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2018, 01:14:40 AM »

Lon Chaney Jr. did an anti smoking commercial (I remember seeing it) before he died of cancer. Just like his father. He died in 1973. He has no grave. He donated his body to science.

For a guy who played frankenstein that was a gutsy move...

Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2018, 02:47:59 AM »

This was the first Western made in Africa:

I seen a Western, with Vincent Price, that was filmed in South Africa, if I'm not mistaken.

EDIT: the JACKALS (1967) was not exactly a western. It looks like a western, it feels like a western, but the story actually takes place in South Africa!

Yes, indeed.  Smile

Photographed by David Millin ASC, a friend and mentor to me.

I think we have a 35mm print of it here * Cans hit Trevor on head*  Buggedout There you go.  Wink
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 07:34:18 AM by Trevor » Logged

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Ted C
Bad Movie Lover

Turn Up the Evil!

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2018, 03:42:59 PM »

John Wayne and Yul Brynner made similar anti-smoking ads before they died, to be aired AFTER.

"Slugs?  He created slugs? I would have started with lasers, six o'clock, day one!" -- Evil, Time Bandits
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2018, 09:57:01 AM »

Dunno how "little known" this is but I always thought it was interesting.

James Bond creator Ian Fleming was related to Christopher Lee by marriage --  they frequently played golf together.

Fleming thought Lee would be the perfect actor to play Dr. No in the first 007 film, but the absent-minded author kept forgetting to bring it up to the film's producers till they'd already cast the role.

Of course, Lee eventually got to play a Bond villain in The Man With the Golden Gun.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Svengoolie 3

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2018, 10:47:32 AM »

James Bond creator Ian Fleming was related to Christopher Lee by marriage --  they frequently played golf together.

Fleming thought Lee would be the perfect actor to play Dr. No in the first 007 film, but the absent-minded author kept forgetting to bring it up to the film's producers till they'd already cast the role.

Of course, Lee eventually got to play a Bond villain in The Man With the Golden Gun.

And he got to. Play an Asian. Villain in the fu mancho movies.

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2018, 04:38:10 PM »

James Bond creator Ian Fleming was related to Christopher Lee by marriage --  they frequently played golf together.

And he got to. Play an Asian. Villain in the fu mancho movies.

Damn, I miss those days when someone with a little bit of prostetics could play any other race without the entire world deciding "OH NOES!!! THIS IS THE WORST THING EVER, WE MUST PROTEST BECAUSE OUR LIVES ARE VACOUS AND EMPTY, LET US PRETEND WE AREN'T INCREDIBLY VAPID BY MAKING THIS AN ISSUE!".

As if the world doesn't have enough real issues and problems they could be helping deal with.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 04:41:39 PM by Dark Alex » Logged

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2018, 10:20:18 PM »

In real Life Lee was quite a James Bond guy himself!
When the Second World War broke out, Lee volunteered to fight for the Finnish forces during the Winter War in 1939.[36] He and other British volunteers were kept away from actual fighting, but they were issued winter gear and were posted on guard duty a safe distance from the front lines. After a fortnight, they returned home.[37] Lee returned to work at United States Lines and found his work more satisfying, feeling that he was contributing. In early 1940, he joined Beecham's, at first as an office clerk, then as a switchboard operator.[38] When Beecham's moved out of London, he joined the Home Guard.[39] In the winter, his father fell ill with bilateral pneumonia and died on 12 March 1941. Realising that he had no inclination to follow his father into the Army, Lee decided to join up while he still had some choice of service, and volunteered for the Royal Air Force.[40]

Lee reported to RAF Uxbridge for training and was then posted to the Initial Training Wing at Paignton.[41] After he had passed his exams in Liverpool, the British Commonwealth Air Training Plan meant that he travelled on the Reina del Pacifico to South Africa, then to his posting at Hillside, at Bulawayo in Southern Rhodesia.[42] Training with de Havilland Tiger Moths, Lee was having his penultimate training session before his first solo flight, when he suffered from headaches and blurred vision. The medical officer hesitantly diagnosed a failure of his optic nerve, and he was told he would never be allowed to fly again.[43] Lee was devastated, and the death of a fellow trainee from Summer Fields only made him more despondent. His appeals were fruitless, and he was left with nothing to do.[44] He was moved around to different flying stations before being posted to Southern Rhodesia's capital, Salisbury, in December 1941.[45] He then visited the Mazowe Dam, Marandellas, the Wankie Game Reserve and the ruins of Great Zimbabwe. Thinking he should "do something constructive for my keep", he applied to join RAF Intelligence. His superiors praised his initiative, and he was seconded into the Rhodesian Police Force and was posted as a warder at Salisbury Prison.[46] He was then promoted to leading aircraftman and moved to Durban in South Africa, before travelling to Suez on the Nieuw Amsterdam.[47]

After "killing time" at RAF Kasfareet near the Great Bitter Lake in the Suez Canal Zone, he resumed intelligence work in the city of Ismaïlia.[48] He was then attached to No. 205 Group RAF before being commissioned as a pilot officer at the end of January 1943,[49] and attached to No. 260 Squadron RAF as an intelligence officer.[50] As the North African Campaign progressed, the squadron "leapfrogged" between Egyptian airstrips, from RAF El Daba to Maaten Bagush and on to Mersa Matruh. They lent air support to the ground forces and bombed strategic targets. Lee, "broadly speaking, was expected to know everything".[51] The Allied advance continued into Libya, through Tobruk and Benghazi to the Marble Arch and then through El Agheila, Khoms and Tripoli, with the squadron averaging five missions a day.[52] As the advance continued into Tunisia, with the Axis forces digging themselves in at the Mareth Line, Lee was almost killed when the squadron's airfield was bombed.[53] After breaking through the Mareth Line, the squadron made their final base in Kairouan.[54] After the Axis surrender in North Africa in May 1943, the squadron moved to Zuwarah in Libya in preparation for the Allied invasion of Sicily.[55] They then moved to Malta, and, after its capture by the British Eighth Army, the Sicilian town of Pachino, before making a permanent base in Agnone Bagni.[56] At the end of July 1943, Lee received his second promotion of the year, this time to flying officer.[57] After the Sicilian campaign was over, Lee came down with malaria for the sixth time in under a year, and was flown to a hospital in Carthage for treatment. When he returned, the squadron was restless, frustrated with a lack of news about the Eastern Front and the Soviet Union in general, and with no mail from home or alcohol. Unrest spread and threatened to turn into mutiny. Lee, by now an expert on Russia, talked them into resuming their duties, which much impressed his commanding officer.[58]

Flying Officer C. F. C. Lee in Vatican City, 1944, soon after the Liberation of Rome
After the Allied invasion of Italy, the squadron was based in Foggia and Termoli during the winter of 1943. Lee was then seconded to the Army during an officer's swap scheme.[59] He spent most of this time with the Gurkhas of the 8th Indian Infantry Division during the Battle of Monte Cassino.[60] While spending some time on leave in Naples, Lee climbed Mount Vesuvius, which erupted three days later.[61] During the final assault on Monte Cassino, the squadron was based in San Angelo, and Lee was nearly killed when one of the planes crashed on takeoff, and he tripped over one of its live bombs.[62] After the battle, the squadron moved to airfields just outside Rome, and Lee visited the city, where he met his mother's cousin, Nicolò Carandini, who had fought in the Italian resistance movement.[63] In November 1944, Lee was promoted to flight lieutenant and left the squadron in Iesi to take up a posting at Air Force HQ.[64] Lee took part in forward planning and liaison, in preparation for a potential assault into the rumoured German Alpine Fortress. After the war ended, Lee was invited to go hunting near Vienna and was then billeted in Pörtschach am Wörthersee. For the final few months of his service, Lee, who spoke fluent French and German, among other languages, was seconded to the Central Registry of War Criminals and Security Suspects.Here, he was tasked with helping to track down Nazi war criminals.[68] Of his time with the organisation, Lee said: "We were given dossiers of what they'd done and told to find them, interrogate them as much as we could and hand them over to the appropriate authority ... We saw these concentration camps. Some had been cleaned up. Some had not." He retired from the RAF in 1946 with the rank of flight lieutenant.

Lee's stepfather served as a captain in the Intelligence Corps, but it is unlikely he had any influence over Lee's military career. Lee saw him for the last time on a bus in London in 1940, by then divorced from Lee's mother, though Lee did not speak to him.[69] Lee mentioned that during the war he was attached to the Special Operations Executive and the Long Range Desert Group, the precursor of the SAS, but always declined to go into details.

I was attached to the SAS from time to time but we are forbidden – former, present, or future – to discuss any specific operations. Let's just say I was in Special Forces and leave it at that. People can read in to that what they like.

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Pacman000
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2018, 11:04:30 AM »

http://cartoonresearch.com/index.php/a-forgotten-disney-short-back-to-neverland/

Why did Disney pick Robin Williams to play the Genie in Aladdin?

Simple; they'd already used him successfully in a theme-park attraction.

Frans Vischer animated the improvisational sequence in which Robin’s character swiftly changed into many forms, including even Walter Cronkite.

Because of that scene, co-director of Aladdin (1992) John Musker told Rees that he and co-director Ron Clements wrote the part of the Genie specifically for Robin. As a tribute, at the end of the animated feature, the Genie appears in the same yellow Hawaiian shirt and Goofy hat that Robin wore in the live action beginning of Back to Neverland.

Watch the short here:

! No longer available Small | Large
Pacman000
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2018, 02:19:33 PM »

Filmack, the company which made "Let's all go to the Lobby" is still in business, but just barely. Digital films don't wear out, so no one needs to buy new prints. Besides that, there's a lot of new competition. The owner moved the business from a store front to his basement, & cut back on staff. His kids aren't interested in the studio, so it'll probably close when he retires. Which is really too bad; they've been in business since 1919.

Source: http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/movies/ct-mov-0125-filmack-snipes-20130125-story.html

! No longer available Small | Large
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 03:49:44 PM by Pacman000 » Logged
Svengoolie 3

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2018, 08:32:43 PM »

Robin Williams was into the tabletop miniature war game. ''Warhammer 40,000'' and collected Eldar and Imperial miniatjes which he painted.

http://www.ordofanaticus.com/topic/210319-from-the-personal-collection-of-robin-williams/

Please don't call them toys,  BTW. 
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 08:38:37 PM by Svengoolie 3 » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Very little known facts about movies. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.