Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:22:32 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Very little known facts about movies. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Author Topic: Very little known facts about movies.  (Read 39603 times)
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2018, 05:38:08 AM »

If you play with them, then they are toys.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2018, 08:54:42 AM »

Lon Chaney Jr. was set to play both the Wolfman and the Frankenstein Monster in FRANKENSTEIN MEETS THE WOLF MAN (1943), but the logistics were a pain in the ass, so they got Bela Lugosi , who had dialouge in the film- which was cut. Also the Monster was actually blind until the final fight in the film-and why Lon leads him around all the time like a puppy most of the time. But of course all scenes stating that the Monster was blind (as he was in the finale of GHOST OF FRANKENSTEIN) were removed.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2018, 11:15:32 AM »

Bruno Mattei's RATS: Night of Terror was filmed on the lavish 1920's-era New York City street sets that were built for Sergio Leone's gangster epic Once Upon A Time In America.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 11:19:15 AM by FatFreddysCat » Logged

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Pacman000
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2018, 03:50:16 PM »

Mike Jittlov, director of The Wizard of Speed & Time had other plans. That's obvious, but someone on Usenet tracfked down a bit more info. I'll just copy & paste it here:

Anyone who's a fan of The Wizard of Speed and Time - a feeling that never seems to diminish over the years - has probably found themselves particularly drawn to one scene in the film about 20 minutes in: the shot of Mike's studio/room tantalisingly full of other projects.

The camera refuses to linger on any particular one. There are cans of film with curious names, Kirby-esque art on the walls and scripts too small to read. The promise of many more Jittlovian creations. I've tried to glean bits of information over the years as to what these are and I know some of them had finished scripts and even auditions but I'm largely in the dark and I'm hoping you guys can illuminate me some more.

Dr. Magic / Doctor Magic:
=========================

Mike wanting to work on the Doctor Magic show is an important story point in WOSAT so initially I thought the short effects reel we see is the entirety of that footage and that's where it originated, but scouring back through the group I see the work print of that clip was made in 1974, inspired by Mike's encounter with the production office of Dr. Strange at Universal.

"There's still two more minutes!"

There are many film boxes marked 'Magic' in WOSAT. Were they just props? Is there a whole short film?

The Fantum:
===========

A planned $2,000,000 movie starring the big brash guy in the black suit, the kinda opposite of Mike's softly spoken real life persona. He's the character seen briefly in The Interview and The Adventures of Long and Lat. This was to be a feature length film "about a quiet bankteller who inherits a loudmouth guardian demon" (love it!). And it had a finished script at least because Mike pitched it to Kaye but it was deemed too expensive to produce.

"I cooled it on the FANTUM (which would have been a really interesting movie - not what you think".

Did Mike ever shoot anything for this or let out any more info about it?

Time Guardian:
==============

All we see in WOSAT is one piece of art: a tall yellow armored cosmic character with a staff, approaching a woman surrounded by purple energy.

I don't know anything about this one at all except that Mike's determination to cast Paige Moore in WOSAT stems from when she auditioned for the lead in... Time Guardian! So again, there's presumably a film script and so much more of a story behind that single image.

Oh, and I saw a recent post on tumblr from jittlovist, who I think may be our James(?) that Mike actually shared the film treatment for this with some of the lucky few people who bought copies of his short films. I would *love* to read that. Hnngh!

The Wind Demon:
===============

Another piece of art on Mike's wall gallery, this one with a man in familiar green and blue clothes standing inside an atomic symbol. How far did this project get? The only thing I've read is Mike's throwaway description of it here: "Back in 1973, when I was researching THE WIND DEMON - my science-fantasy trilogy about a war between a magician and a sorcerer in Downtown Los Angeles".

Oh man. What I would do to see more of Mike's visions have come to life by now.

Godspeed:
=========

The big one. The ambitious, full-scale project Mike originally wanted to make before WOSAT. A $7,000,000 science-fiction epic.

We know that Mike showed a full length feature film script of Godspeed to Disney executive Nick Bennion in '79. On the strength of his existing animated shorts like Time Tripper, Bennion instead hired Mike to make the short sequences for the real life Major Effects TV show.

"I still remembering him whistling, as he finished it - much too big, and I was an unknown writer-director, but if I could demonstrate just the speed effect for Nick's TV special, that'd get the Disney hierarchy's attention.  Thus began the "Wizard of Speed and Time"."

The plans for Godspeed were even bigger than that though judging by an interview in Fantastic Films in 1980.

""I'll do a series of four science fiction features; of adult intelligence. I think it's time, now."

Mike is just completing the first screenplay of his tetralogy. The rest is contained within hundreds of handwritten note pages, which are a triumph of microminiaturization- he writes at 23 lines to the inch . . . "The films will be pure imagination from start to finish. Have to be. I want to watch them too."

"My features are about the first man to graduate from the Earth. They'll carry him, and the audience, through a kind of sensory evolution . . . so by the end of each film, you'll feel like you're 20 feet tall, with the sun in your heart, and you can solve any problem in the world."

'Noooo, can't tell you what the feature effects are. That would hurt the future. But I can say that we'll use every variable in the medium, every line of dialogue and every sound and scene ... all making you aware of something fantastic inside you ... and then maybe help you across that millimeter to the rest of your mind. Humble films."

"Effects are important, they're pure imagination, and that's the prime draw for an audience. But all the glossy ribbons and wrappings are wasted if the gift inside is stupidity . . . such a wonderful and expensive opportunity just thrown away. Mustn't waste life-times. The content, the story, has got to be solid and strong and powerful. Most important. And I know, as I show people the story treatment, and they start gasping and jumping and can't stop turning the pages ... I've got something very good.""

(http://www.cultivatetwiddle.com/ffmjinterview.html - Fantastic Films Collectors Edition # 11, December 1980)

==============================================================

And that's all I know. If anyone can correct me where I'm wrong or add anything at all that would be wonderful!

I'm fascinated by all of this creativity even if we can't experience it on film. Few things are harder for a creator to realize than a feature film, and even harder when it's based around unique special effects - so it's no wonder that despite all of the hard work that had seemingly already gone into these projects, they are still mostly a mystery to us.

- Matt

Source: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.fan.mike-jittlov/n9zrnMXktr8
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2018, 11:34:38 PM »

Lon Chaney Jr. played the Wolf Man in  
.the WOLF MAN (1941)
.FRANKENSTEIN MEETS THE WOLF MAN (1943)
.HOUSE OF FRANKENSTEIN (1944)
.HOUSE OF DRACULA (1945)
.ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN (1948)
.ROUTE 66 (1961)
.LA CASA DEL TERROR (1959) which was mutlilated  by Jerry Warren as FACE OF THE SCREAMING WEREWOLF (1964).

And! He Played the Frankenstein Monster in GHOST OF FRANKENSTEIN (!942)
.The GHOST OF FRANKENSTEIN (1943),
.ABBOTT AND COSTELLO MEET FRANKENSTEIN (1948)-Glenn Strange twisted his leg, Lon doubled for him.
.The COLGATE COMEDY HOUR (1951)
.TALES OF TOMORROW (1962)

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2018, 09:32:38 AM »

Alfred Hitchcock, of course, invented the term MacGuffin to describe an otherwise unimportant object or incident that moved along the plot in some key way, but he told variations of a funny story about how easy it was to make almost anything or even nothing into a MacGuffin....

He said to imagine two men are on a train heading into Scotland and one sees the other has a bulky package on the seat next to him, so he asks what it is.

"It's my MacGuffin," the man explains.

"What's that?"

The second man tells him, "It's a large gun I'm bringing up north so I can hunt elephants in the Highlands."

"But there are no elephants in the Scottish Highlands," insists the first man.

"Oh," answers the second man, "then I suppose it's not a MacGuffin after all."

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2018, 11:14:35 AM »

The first African zombie film was released three years before Night of The Living Dead. TeddyR

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2018, 11:48:39 PM »

The first African zombie film was released three years before Night of The Living Dead. TeddyR

What was it? I'm intrigued! Buggedout

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2018, 12:05:22 AM »

Ingrid Pitt's first movie starred Soledad Miranda- the SOUND OF HORROR (1964), about an invisible dinosaur!

Small | Large

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2018, 12:17:51 AM »

Ingrid Pitt was in a concentration camp as a child.

Ingoushka Petrov was born in Warsaw, Poland, to a German father of Russian descent and a Polish Jewish mother. During World War II, she and her family were imprisoned in Stutthof concentration camp in Sztutowo, Free City of Danzig.

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2018, 02:55:01 PM »

The gag in Monty Python and the Holy Grail where the characters bang coconut shells together to mimic the sounds of horses' hooves was created out of economic necessity - the production didn't have enough money to rent real horses. 

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Svengoolie 3

« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2018, 09:26:07 PM »

The preview poster for star trek the motion picture featured a version of the enterprise not seen in the movie.  The version seen here was an upgraded enterprise meant to be used in a new star trek series to be called star trek 2.0

The popularity of star wars caused the effort to produce a new star trek series to be shifted to a motion picture, and a newer version of the enterprise.

The doctor that circumcised Trump threw away the wrong piece.
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #42 on: September 04, 2018, 08:50:32 AM »

Ride The High Wind aka African Gold (1965)

The zombie only pops up at the end and it's carrying a machine gun  Wink

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2018, 10:21:39 PM »

The zombie only pops up at the end and it's carrying a machine gun  Wink

Well, dam! I just gotta check it out now.

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2018, 01:33:24 AM »

The zombie only pops up at the end and it's carrying a machine gun  Wink

Well, dam! I just gotta check it out now.

I wrote a review here: it's on the submitted reviews board.  Smile

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Very little known facts about movies. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.