Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:29:23 PM
714223 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  The END of CIVILITY ? « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: The END of CIVILITY ?  (Read 6557 times)
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2018, 11:13:26 AM »

I think a clue things killed civility.

One was the internet.  The ability to throw shxt at people in perfect safety just brought out the total @$$hole in a lot of people.  The hate and gleeful abuse on the net was bound to percolate into the rest of society.

Two was the American right and it'''s fanatical hatred of Bill Clinton,  starting with the endless spew of pure hate that poured out of the ambulatory cesspool known as rush Limbaugh. That subhuman troll made a career out of pure hate,  abuse,  lies,  invective,  ad infinitum,  ad nauseum.  The toxins spread thru the American right and created new tumors like alex Jones,  Mikey savage,  Sean hannity,  etc.  

After decades of eger escalating abuse from the right the left in the us now sick of it and spitting it back at the right.  Thus died discussion,  discourse,  reason and civilty.

Partisan feuds are as old as America, even older - going back to Cato and Caesar.  If you think that one side is to blame for all the rancor in America today, you have a very selective and partisan memory.  It spans both sides of the spectrum from the middle to the fringe; it's just the internet has turned both fringes mainstream.

It seems to me the internet has made being rude mainstream. Because it's like AA- nobody knows your name but everyone knows your business. And-like AA- you can lie all you want, and not be held accountable.  That's why I always use my real name- RCMERCHANT- as in Ronald C. Merchant- as my name on any blog. I don't hide behind a phony moniker. That's why I quit Facebook. This and my Tumblr blog is the only places I go. I don't 'social network' too much.
Oh yeah- I go to the Classic Horror Film Board one in while too.
But like Indy says- ain't nothing new. Back when I was a kid in the 60's and 70's EVERYONE hated each other. You think this Trump thing is bad? Well- it is. But it's been worse. , s**t man, both the Kennedy's were shot, and Malcom X and Martin Luther King were killed and Vietnam was killing 1000's of kids on both sides.
Are you kidding? The man is 70 odd years old. Have patience. Things will get better. or they won't  Either way it's interesting history. BounceGiggle
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 11:28:52 AM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2018, 11:49:28 AM »

Oh- and constant media bombards us on both sides by 'sponsered by' madness every day. Don't take it all in one big gulp. Sift it like picking fleas off a dog.
It IS hard not to get caught up in it. Getting caught up in a wave of revolt is how things change. Sometimes, like in Nazi Germany- it ain't so good. The USA is NOT the only country on this planet. There are billions of people who have it worse than us. I'm very grateful I live here.
Sven, the fact of the matter is- nobody's innocent. They never have been.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 11:58:00 AM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2018, 05:53:05 PM »

I have a theory that is related to perpetual low interest rates. everything is whats happening now and of the moment. qualities like modesty are non existent and seen more as faults
Svengoolie 3
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2018, 06:29:45 PM »

I think a clue things killed civility.

One was the internet.  The ability to throw shxt at people in perfect safety just brought out the total @$$hole in a lot of people.  The hate and gleeful abuse on the net was bound to percolate into the rest of society.

Two was the American right and it'''s fanatical hatred of Bill Clinton,  starting with the endless spew of pure hate that poured out of the ambulatory cesspool known as rush Limbaugh. That subhuman troll made a career out of pure hate,  abuse,  lies,  invective,  ad infinitum,  ad nauseum.  The toxins spread thru the American right and created new tumors like alex Jones,  Mikey savage,  Sean hannity,  etc.  

After decades of eger escalating abuse from the right the left in the us now sick of it and spitting it back at the right.  Thus died discussion,  discourse,  reason and civilty.

Partisan feuds are as old as America, even older - going back to Cato and Caesar.  If you think that one side is to blame for all the rancor in America today, you have a very selective and partisan memory.  It spans both sides of the spectrum from the middle to the fringe; it's just the internet has turned both fringes mainstream.

It seems to me the internet has made being rude mainstream. Because it's like AA- nobody knows your name but everyone knows your business. And-like AA- you can lie all you want, and not be held accountable.  That's why I always use my real name- RCMERCHANT- as in Ronald C. Merchant- as my name on any blog. I don't hide behind a phony moniker. That's why I quit Facebook. This and my Tumblr blog is the only places I go. I don't 'social network' too much.
Oh yeah- I go to the Classic Horror Film Board one in while too.
But like Indy says- ain't nothing new. Back when I was a kid in the 60's and 70's EVERYONE hated each other. You think this Trump thing is bad? Well- it is. But it's been worse. , s**t man, both the Kennedy's were shot, and Malcom X and Martin Luther King were killed and Vietnam was killing 1000's of kids on both sides.
Are you kidding? The man is 70 odd years old. Have patience. Things will get better. or they won't  Either way it's interesting history. BounceGiggle

You are aware that the Chinese use 'May you live in interesting times' as a curse,  yes?

The doctor that circumcised Trump threw away the wrong piece.
316zombie
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2018, 10:31:36 PM »

walking quietly away.... Cheers
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2018, 08:59:44 PM »

This is a perfect example of incivility; and I think it is historically important.   How did American culture get to the point where a major movie star would obscenely insult the President on a live nationwide TV broadcast?  

Small | Large

« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 09:25:07 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Svengoolie 3

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2018, 04:53:39 AM »

I could not see the video because it was behind an onskippable ad,  was it about someone saying something mean about trump?  Or was it about times when Ted nugent said horrible things about Obama and Hillary?  Or the rimes he made clearly threatening statements about them?  Or was it about the time a California Republican named mansion called Obama a " f---en ni--er" and called for him and his 'monkey daugbters' to be assassinated?

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/20/jules-manson-obama_n_1161044.html

If it was about someone being mean to trump,  how we got here is simple: decades of abuse from right has pushed the left to a state of anger and it's finally being returned. 

Olivia Bauer

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2018, 07:41:48 AM »

I could not see the video because it was behind an onskippable ad,  was it about someone saying something mean about trump?

You can't sit through an ad? You can just install adblocker if you really can't handle a single unskippable ad. He just says "f**k Trump. It's no longer 'down with Trump' it's 'f**k Trump'."

Or was it about times when Ted nugent said horrible things about Obama and Hillary?  Or the rimes he made clearly threatening statements about them?  Or was it about the time a California Republican named mansion called Obama a " f---en ni--er" and called for him and his 'monkey daugbters' to be assassinated?

If it was about someone being mean to trump,  how we got here is simple: decades of abuse from right has pushed the left to a state of anger and it's finally being returned.  

So what you're saying is that we have to be just as toxic, evil, and nasty as Ted Nugent and co? We can't just be better people than them? I thought we were supposed to grow out of the "you did it to me, so I'll do it to you" mentality when we're still children. If you recognize what these people said was gross why do you want to emulate them?

Svengoolie 3

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2018, 01:18:58 PM »

I could not see the video because it was behind an onskippable ad,  was it about someone saying something mean about trump?

You can't sit through an ad? You can just install adblocker if you really can't handle a single unskippable ad. He just says "f**k Trump. It's no longer 'down with Trump' it's 'f**k Trump'."

Or was it about times when Ted nugent said horrible things about Obama and Hillary?  Or the rimes he made clearly threatening statements about them?  Or was it about the time a California Republican named mansion called Obama a " f---en ni--er" and called for him and his 'monkey daugbters' to be assassinated?

If it was about someone being mean to trump,  how we got here is simple: decades of abuse from right has pushed the left to a state of anger and it's finally being returned.  

So what you're saying is that we have to be just as toxic, evil, and nasty as Ted Nugent and co? We can't just be better people than them? I thought we were supposed to grow out of the "you did it to me, so I'll do it to you" mentality when we're still children. If you recognize what these people said was gross why do you want to emulate them?

Sometimes you just get sick of hateful people trowing sh-t at you and finally have enough. My breaking point came when i heard a trump supporter call for "the liberal genocide to begin in America". That was my breaking point. I'm not even going to try holding in my hate and disgust for these people anymore.

https://freethoughtblogs.com/affinity/2017/03/09/i-cant-wait-for-the-liberal-genocide-to-begin/

I'm tired of trying to be reasonable with a bunch of hateful morons who are trying to go as far into absolutely insanity as possible.

I'm tired of taking the high road to defeat, maybe it's time to take the low road to victory. If we have to out hate these people, so be it.

Also, to see the far right, which has dragged america down to the levels it's at in terms of hate, now cry for civility when their golden (shower) boy is being targeted for some after all the hate and vileness they threw at democrats, clinton, obama, etxc for so long just fills me with utter disgust.

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2018, 04:05:12 PM »

I think, Svengoolie 3, that you missed my point.  I don't agree with everything you say, but much of it.  However, it's how you say it that is repellent. 

All sides, left and right, recognize this end to civility.  It is a mistake to blame one side and not recognize the shortcomings of another. 

I think ROBERT DeNIRO's statement is very important, though, uncivil.  I think what he did was Rock N' Roll. 

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2018, 10:52:26 PM »

While we are all lamenting about civility- you act like this s**t never happened. Gimme a break.  Lookingup

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2018, 11:06:44 PM »

While we are all lamenting about civility- you act like this s**t never happened. Gimme a break.  Lookingup
You talkin' t'me?  You talkin' t'me? 

Svengoolie 3

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2018, 11:37:03 PM »

While we are all lamenting about civility- you act like this s**t never happened. Gimme a break.  Lookingup

We used to have some decency in america. People knew FDR, DDE and JFK were having affairs with women they weren't married to. They didn't go public with it out of decency and a kind of "Let's respect our fellow MAN" mentality. Certain things were off limits. You didn't attack a man's family, especially kids.  People knew fdr needed a wheelchair but his political rivals didn't attack him for it.

That's all gone now. That nazi blimp limbaugh made cheslea clinton fair game. Phyllis Schaffly made hillary Clinton fair game. There's no decency, no civility, left in modern politics. John Mccain, who i voted against, was it's last gasp when he told a heffer at a rally of his not to say obama wasn't "one of us, an american" and he said obama was a fine man personally. That was the death rattle of American civility. And do note i just praised a republican. Fast forwards a few years and look at the vitriolic hate that thing with the roaring anus for a mouth attacked John Mccain with. How it said it preferred people who weren't captured, how a member of it;s staff dismissed mccain with a "He'll be dead soon!" attitude.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 11:46:59 PM by Svengoolie 3 » Logged

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2018, 11:58:46 PM »

While we are all lamenting about civility- you act like this s**t never happened. Gimme a break.  Lookingup
We used to have some decency in america. People knew FDR, DDE and JFK were having affairs with women they weren't married to. They didn't go public with it out of decency and a kind of "Let's respect our fellow MAN" mentality. Certain things were off limits. You didn't attack a man's family, especially kids.  People knew fdr needed a wheelchair but his political rivals didn't attack him for it.

That's all gone now. That nazi blimp limbaugh made cheslea clinton fair game. Phyllis Schaffly made hillary Clinton fair game. There's no decency, no civility, left in modern politics. John Mccain, who i voted against, was it's last gasp when he told a heffer at a rally of his not to say obama wasn't "one of us, an american" and he said obama was a fine man personally. That was the death rattle of American civility. And do note i just praised a republican. Fast forwards a few years and look at the vitriolic hate that thing with the roaring anus for a mouth attacked John Mccain with. How it said it preferred people who weren't captured, how a member of it;s staff dismissed mccain with a "He'll be dead soon!" attitude.

Yeh, and, your point? 

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2018, 05:16:55 AM »

It's the same old same old.
Hitler was screaming hate years ago.
There's nothing new under the sun.

Racism, hate, bigotry- none of this is new. I mean-c'mon. Just because we have a moron in the White House who embraces these values didn't happen over night. They were ALWAYS here. It just became the fad. I see a lot of good in the world- and our children are, for the most part- repelled by it. The pendulum always swings from right to left, and back again.
Civility? Putting a wig on a pig.

Not the end of the world.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 05:36:19 AM by RCMerchant » Logged

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  The END of CIVILITY ? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.