Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:53:06 PM
713368 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  ARCADE MEMORIES THREAD! Video games, Skee Ball, shooting galleries, etc. « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: ARCADE MEMORIES THREAD! Video games, Skee Ball, shooting galleries, etc.  (Read 1608 times)
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« on: August 17, 2018, 02:46:38 PM »

Hey all.
Share your memories of those glorious establishments where kids (maybe adults) would gather round and play games.  Of course nowadays the term "arcade" is synonymous with video games, but way back in the day they had pinball machines, Skee Ball, electromechanical games (often with a rifle controller), and shooting galleries.  I remember an arcade at the Oregon coast had tons of Skee Ball (a dime for 9 balls!) and a shooting gallery with all sorts of critters like buzzards, squirrels, rats, etc. sporting targets on them that you could shoot and try to get tickets for prizes (most of which I got candy).  That gave way to video games, of course, and I have great memories of them too!  Share all your arcade experiences!  Skee Ball, shooting galleries, Pac-Man, Donkey Kong, Street Fighter, House Of The Dead, Dance Dance Revolution, etc.

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 02:58:02 PM »

I remember when they had entire rooms dedicated to playing FASCINATION

My father loved the traditional pinball machines. I always wanted to play the games with shooting and explosions and stuff. Like the submarine games.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 05:59:32 PM »

I just love this virtual arcade video.  Definitely captures the feel of 80s arcades.
! No longer available Small | Large

This arcade was a staple in my early teens.  WUNDERLAND!  A nickel arcade with TONS of games-- this location (SE Portland) actually still exists!  I only went to this one once, while I was at the adjoining AVALON theater to see TIME RIDER.

Some arcade images to take you way back:

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 08:37:08 PM »

Ill always remember how the arcade versions of certain games where just of much higher quality then their console equivalents

Me and a couple of buddies made sure we had enough quarters to get through this one.
Small | Large

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2018, 07:09:34 AM »

We used to go to this arcade at the Salisbury Beach amusement park when I was a kid in the 1970s:

There were also arcades at Canobie Lake Park (New Hampshire) and Revere Beach (Massachusetts - - but then they tore down the amusement park and built a bunch of condos and apartment buildings . . . bastards!)

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2018, 05:43:40 PM »

I missed this era by about a decade, maybe less, but I remember when this massive arcade in a nearby mall was where the cool kids a few years older than me hung out. My cousin used to go wearing a real short skirt and carrying  a roll of quarters for the machines and she'd come back and tell me stories and made it sound so awesome there. (Of course I just plain envied her life anyway!)

Well then came the console era, Nintendo, Sega, PS, and that A-list arcade just one day pulled bars up over its doors and there it sat all through my high school years, untouched, like a 1980s time capsule. You could look right in the doors at Frogger and Pac-Man and DK, and all these once trend-setting games just sitting there in the darkness.

Finally one day the mall evicted every tenant on that side of the structure to renovate for shops with lifestyle center designs, and my friend Rob called me and said get down here, quick!

I got there in time to see workers smashing up all these '80s vintage game consoles and throwing their carcasses into dumpsters. My friend thought the ear-breaking destruction was like Christmas in summer but to me it felt more like murdering the past.

Anyway, that's my arcade memory!

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  ARCADE MEMORIES THREAD! Video games, Skee Ball, shooting galleries, etc. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.