Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:05:01 PM
714369 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  The RANT! Thread « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: The RANT! Thread  (Read 8131 times)
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« on: August 23, 2018, 10:07:16 AM »

!!!!!!!!efn3gio3ngwknrgklfjqkl!!!!!!!!

Well, I am annoyed!

I do not like Poppy Z. Brite, never have, and I like her even less now as Billy Martin, though I admire her courage in making this gender transformation. But that's neither here nor there. What is germane to my rant is exactly where homage ends and an act of literary theft begins.

The only thing Brite ever wrote that I did like out of all the grag of hers someone made me read back in high school was a short story variously entitled Swamp Foetus, and (a better re-titling) His Mouth Will Taste of Wormwood. It is about these sensuous gay men in the Deep South of the 1980s whose life of dissipation leads to ennui until they start raiding graveyards and undertaking archaeology-cum-necrophilia under the influence of absinthe.

Y'with me?

I was captivated by this opium-like little story and loved certain lines from it, like her description of the "luminous" scent of magnolia blossoms in the humid Louisiana night. It was just so frickin' cool, these futureless souls bored with life seeking one dangerous thrill too many amid the decaying cenotaphs and tombs of Antebellum burial grounds. It was Spanish moss draped Southern Gothic at its finest and I bet I read HMWTOW ten times.

And then years in the future I came to find this tale of Brite's was an almost straight-up lifting of H.P. Lovecraft's The Hound. Not quite word for word but the plots are probably 95% identical.

If Brite had prefaced the story by saying, "This is in tribute to Lovecraft" then fine, but nowhere have I ever seen her do that. I've never seen an interview in which she discusses the story that includes her saying, "Yes, The Hound inspired me."

She just.....apparently wrote this story that reads like a slightly more R-rated re-telling of one of Lovecraft's lesser-known but completely brilliant stories, and that deeply rankles me.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 10:39:34 AM by ER » Logged

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Pacman000
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 10:36:48 AM »

! No longer available Small | Large
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 11:46:46 AM »

I really miss the days when you could find an old UJM or riceburner in clean condition, running right for just a few hundred bucks... Nowadays, you're lucky to find some 2nd hand disposable Chinese bike that doesn't require a bank loan...

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 12:27:01 PM »

I do not like Poppy Z. Brite, never have, and I like her even less now as Billy Martin, though I admire her courage in making this gender transformation. But that's neither here nor there. What is germane to my rant is exactly where homage ends and an act of literary theft begins.

The only thing Brite ever wrote that I did like out of all the grag of hers someone made me read back in high school was a short story variously entitled Swamp Foetus, and (a better re-titling) His Mouth Will Taste of Wormwood. It is about these sensuous gay men in the Deep South of the 1980s whose life of dissipation leads to ennui until they start raiding graveyards and undertaking archaeology-cum-necrophilia under the influence of absinthe.

I've read that story. 

I actually bought a book that was titled something like Modern Horror Short Stories or whatever.  The whole book turned out to be various weird fetishy sex things with a slight horror tone to them. 
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2018, 11:13:29 AM »

To the jag-off in the white van who was practically stapled to my rear bumper all the way down Route 23 South this morning: if you wanna ride my ass, at least buy me dinner first.  Hatred

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2018, 10:50:32 AM »

If you're gonna come creeping in during the middle of the night after being out with your school friends, how about you don't trip over a sleeping little girl and set off a War of the Worlds style panic, T-Man??!!!!

LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2018, 12:32:30 PM »

I really hate it when I go to a party or meeting or something, an there's noplace to sit down, because even though there are plenty of coffee tables & coat racks & such, people just indiscriminately toss their stuff on every chair & sofa they see, until the whole damn place looks like somebody with a hording problem lives there.

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2018, 12:36:20 PM »

My elder sister saga could write a book about how her kindness and flirty personality screwed her over both mentally and physically.

yeah no.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2018, 11:16:03 AM »

I shouldn't have to tell the new interns not to call me ma'am.  I need a drink.

Pacman000
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2018, 11:36:28 AM »

You know what I hate? When people get ticked off for being called "Ma'me" or "Sir."

It's a sign of respect! It's in the Little Golden Book of Manners! Little Kids & Old People alike get that! Call them "ma'me" or "sir" & they smile! If they're older they'll say you're unusually respectful! The only people who don't are 15-60 year olds who just wanna feel young! They're acting too young; like a rebellious teenager! Stop it! STOP IT I SAY!  Hatred

Wink
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2018, 12:57:02 PM »

You know what I hate? When people get ticked off for being called "Ma'me" or "Sir."

It's a sign of respect! It's in the Little Golden Book of Manners! Little Kids & Old People alike get that! Call them "ma'me" or "sir" & they smile! If they're older they'll say you're unusually respectful! The only people who don't are 15-60 year olds who just wanna feel young! They're acting too young; like a rebellious teenager! Stop it! STOP IT I SAY!  Hatred

Wink
Ha!

S'all right, I got back at them with my sipping blue-raspberry Kool-Aid from a Windex bottle stunt. Thought one girl was gonna scream. Ah, the gullibility of the young......

Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2018, 06:01:58 AM »

I shouldn't have to tell the new interns not to call me ma'am.  I need a drink.

We have 9 interns here: all of them call me Uncle T.  Smile

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2018, 06:04:18 AM »

To the jag-off in the white van who was practically stapled to my rear bumper all the way down Route 23 South this morning: if you wanna ride my ass, at least buy me dinner first.  Hatred

BounceGiggle TeddyR TeddyR TeddyR

Not laughing at what happened to you but how you described it.  TeddyR TeddyR

claws
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2018, 06:52:03 AM »

I must be Facebook's most relucant user  TeddyR

~ I never have and never will use the "memories" feature, no matter how many times Facebook wants me to. It's annoying enough that people in my feed use "memories" more than actually posting new stuff. I honestly don't care what you did two summers ago because I already read the very same thing two summers ago.
~ Nope, I won't contribute to "my story" and I won't watch anybody else's "my story" because I've read "your story" before. There's really no need and no point in doing this. Jeez.
~ I won't adjust my ads to "my likings" because I don't like ads. It's unavoidable so post whatever f**king ads you like. I DON'T CARE.
~ I'm not 13 so I don't need to add any of those silly backgrounds when posting something.
~ Thanks for giving me an option to disable glitter and rainbows when wishing somebody happy birthday. That is really appreciated, and I mean it.
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2018, 07:02:57 AM »

~ Nope, I won't contribute to "my story" and I won't watch anybody else's "my story" because I've read "your story" before. There's really no need and no point in doing this. Jeez.
~ I won't adjust my ads to "my likings" because I don't like ads. It's unavoidable so post whatever f**king ads you like. I DON'T CARE.
~ Thanks for giving me an option to disable glitter and rainbows when wishing somebody happy birthday. That is really appreciated, and I mean it.

BounceGiggle TeddyR TeddyR

Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  The RANT! Thread « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.