Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:47:25 PM
713363 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Dark Universe « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The Dark Universe  (Read 6071 times)
Olivia Bauer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: August 25, 2018, 09:55:16 AM »

RIP
The Dark Universe
2017-2017

! No longer available Small | Large

Olivia Bauer

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2018, 09:59:15 AM »

Sorry, I just remembered the Dark Universe was supposed to be a thing, laughed internally, and then posted this.

Chainsawmidget
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2018, 10:14:33 AM »

It's okay man. 

I was looking forward to the Dark Universe. 

Then I saw Dracula Untold which was supposed to start it. Okay, it's not horrible, but it isn't really a good movie either. 

Then they said it didn't count because nobody liked it. 

THEN they announced the Mummy and I thought, "okay.  I wouldn't exactly start the series with the mummy, but let's see what they've got planned."  Then i saw they had Dr. Jekyll in the movie and it starred Tom Cruise.  At that point I knew they just didn't get it.
Svengoolie 3

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2018, 07:14:24 PM »

Dracula untold was basically a super hero movie with Dracula as a half assed super hero.

The doctor that circumcised Trump threw away the wrong piece.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2018, 07:46:18 PM »

"Marvel has a universe, lets try that."

"Oh, that Dracula movie SUCKED, so we'll reboot it a year in."

"I know the answer: Tom Cruise!"

I was interested in this.  I hoped it would've worked.  I grew up watching the Universal Monster films.  It was an interesting direction to try and go in. 

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Olivia Bauer

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2018, 09:02:08 PM »

Dracula untold was basically a super hero movie with Dracula as a half assed super hero.

I forgot that movie existed.

Chainsawmidget
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2018, 09:07:49 PM »

I forgot that movie existed.
It wasn't exactly very memorable. 
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2018, 08:27:53 PM »

Here's my question....what where the tent pole movies for the Dark Universe supposed to be?   The MCU has the Avengers, the DCEU has the Justice League, and the Monsterverse is leading up to Godzilla vs King Kong (after that it just seems to stop)

From what I've seen proposed- no movies seemed to be the ones where the monsters meet up.  Possibly the Van Helsing reboot- but it seems all the films where going to exist interdependent from each other.  Probably just with the Prodigium acting as some sort of hub or common element. 

Another problem is that some of the stories just don't work in modern time as well.  I really do not what to see the Phantom of the Opera stalking his love via social media.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2018, 05:25:03 AM »

To it looks like they forgot they were supposed to be making horror films and the whole shared universe part was dealt with in a very ham fisted manner.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2018, 07:38:59 PM »

I didn't like the idea from day one.
It just seemed stupid. Universal was trying to cash in on the Marvel, DC superhero Universes- and those are overblown f/x fests.
Lotsa action and fights things being destroyed.
Frankenstein and Dracula shouldn't be ACTION! movies. They're horror movies, and remakes of them have to be done like horror movies.
I really can't say a good Frankenstein movie has been made since the 70's.
Well, FRANKENWEENIE was great!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2018, 08:54:21 PM »

Here's my question....what where the tent pole movies for the Dark Universe supposed to be?   The MCU has the Avengers, the DCEU has the Justice League, and the Monsterverse is leading up to Godzilla vs King Kong (after that it just seems to stop)

From what I've seen proposed- no movies seemed to be the ones where the monsters meet up.  Possibly the Van Helsing reboot- but it seems all the films where going to exist interdependent from each other.  Probably just with the Prodigium acting as some sort of hub or common element. 

Another problem is that some of the stories just don't work in modern time as well.  I really do not what to see the Phantom of the Opera stalking his love via social media.
From what I could gather, Russell Crowe as Jeckyl/Hyde was supposed to be the Nick Fury/Sam Jackson role.  IE, bringing them all together.  Had it worked out.  Hence his appearance in the Mummy flick. 

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2018, 11:46:05 AM »

f**k man-it barely made sense in the OLD Universal series with the monsters all in one movie. And they had Lon Chaney Jr. in all of them!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2018, 09:00:50 PM »

Fact of the matter is-the old Universal monsters taht the new Universal is trying to capitalize on  is in a time and place of itself. You can't revive that in any way that would do justice to Karloff,Lugosi, James Whale, and all the folks who made those films classic.
f**k all that. And everybody knows it. That's why the movies tank.

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2018, 09:38:45 PM »

From what I could gather, Russell Crowe as Jeckyl/Hyde was supposed to be the Nick Fury/Sam Jackson role.  IE, bringing them all together.  Had it worked out.  Hence his appearance in the Mummy flick. 

That I got-but bring them together for what purpose?  Maybe to fight that god of death mentioned in The Mummy, but why would the monsters fight something that's probably on their side?  Or could it have been a reverse-Avengers type deal with the world finding itself attacked  by collection of evil?

Second, the abbot and Costello movies are considered part of the Univeral monster collection-so would the modern equivalent be something like Key and Peele meet Dracula

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
Dr. Whom

Cthulhu for president! Why choose the lesser evil?

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2018, 01:11:44 AM »

Second, the abbot and Costello movies are considered part of the Univeral monster collection-so would the modern equivalent be something like Key and Peele meet Dracula

Now that, I would definitely go to see.

"Once you get past a certain threshold, everyone's problems are the same: fortifying your island and hiding the heat signature from your fusion reactor."

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Dark Universe « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.