Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:00:36 PM
713364 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  THE DEATH OF STALIN (2018) « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: THE DEATH OF STALIN (2018)  (Read 8105 times)
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2018, 04:03:30 PM »

It took a tyrant of Stalin's nature to retain power under the jungle-like conditions of the formative years of the USSR, and lacking Stalin's brutal nature, Trotsky, an inept man and not the brilliant thinker or humanitarian revisionist history has made him out to be, would not have lasted long. Power struggles and wars between factions would have resulted after Trotsky's downfall and life might actually have been worse in the midst of internecine conflict than it was in our timeline with Stalin in the Kremlin. IMHO.

WTF?
(That's short for "What the f**k?")
From a disinterested perspective that's my honest opinion, not praise of Stalin. I base what i wrote up above on thinking about the power players active after Lenin's death, men who could have made a grab for power but Stalin eliminated them. Absent Stalin's purges these figures would almost certainly have factionalized a nation Stalin united through terror and ruled from the vacuum he created by mass murder.

Believing as I do that Trotsky would have been too idealistic and weak to retain power in the savage environment of Russia circa the late 1920s, it becomes almost automatic to project civil war which may (or may not) have resulted in more deaths than we saw under Stalin.

If you really need me to add this disclaimer, fine: I'm just speculating on what might have been, not saying Stalin was anything but a cruel man. History often requires its students to write dispassionately about very terrible people.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Pacman000
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2018, 04:31:46 PM »

It took a tyrant of Stalin's nature to retain power under the jungle-like conditions of the formative years of the USSR, and lacking Stalin's brutal nature, Trotsky, an inept man and not the brilliant thinker or humanitarian revisionist history has made him out to be, would not have lasted long. Power struggles and wars between factions would have resulted after Trotsky's downfall and life might actually have been worse in the midst of internecine conflict than it was in our timeline with Stalin in the Kremlin. IMHO.

WTF?
(That's short for "What the f**k?")
From a disinterested perspective that's my honest opinion, not praise of Stalin. I base what i wrote up above on thinking about the power players active after Lenin's death, men who could have made a grab for power but Stalin eliminated them. Absent Stalin's purges these figures would almost certainly have factionalized a nation Stalin united through terror and ruled from the vacuum he created by mass murder.

Believing as I do that Trotsky would have been too idealistic and weak to retain power in the savage environment of Russia circa the late 1920s, it becomes almost automatic to project civil war which may (or may not) have resulted in more deaths than we saw under Stalin.

If you really need me to add this disclaimer, fine: I'm just speculating on what might have been, not saying Stalin was anything but a cruel man. History often requires its students to write dispassionately about very terrible people.
Ah, but would the inevitable war have led to a less-tyrannical government? Would such a government still be around today? And what would the benefits of said government be?
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2018, 05:40:35 PM »

That's a question best answered by a writer of alternative history like Harry Turtledove.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2018, 08:47:07 PM »

from ER-

"Believing as I do that Trotsky would have been too idealistic and weak to retain power in the savage environment of Russia circa the late 1920s, it becomes almost automatic to project civil war which may (or may not) have resulted in more deaths than we saw under Stalin."

So just let the maniac take over and not the idealist? I would rather die for a belief than win with a meglomaniac.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2018, 10:04:24 PM »

But the end result would be the same.  Bloodshed, confusion, and death, with a strongman eventually seizing power.
Plus . . . Trotsky was not all goodness and light.  He and Lenin could be just as bloodthirsty as Stalin.
Communism is a blood-soaked and evil philosophy that has never failed to end in tyranny.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2018, 11:54:26 PM »

I watched this movie again tonight and was once more impressed with the stellar performances and clever screenwriting.  This really is a great film!

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2018, 04:22:14 AM »

And I still really need to see this!
I am fascinated by this period in history-between World Wars. So much was going on.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2018, 04:26:54 AM »

But the end result would be the same.  Bloodshed, confusion, and death, with a strongman eventually seizing power.
Plus . . . Trotsky was not all goodness and light.  He and Lenin could be just as bloodthirsty as Stalin.
Communism is a blood-soaked and evil philosophy that has never failed to end in tyranny.

ALL governments are blood soaked.
 I agree, to an extent.
The idea of pure Communism is bad. No one want's to live in a world that makes you a drone.
The hippies tried it- and it ended up like Manson and Jim Jones.
Human nature is not gonna let us live like 'hippies'.
But what do I know? I live in the backwoods of Michigan, all I can do is run my mouth about s**t I never lived in.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 04:58:18 AM by RCMerchant » Logged

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2018, 08:42:45 AM »

Still my #1 movie of 2018. Nothing better has come along so far.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2018, 07:34:10 PM »

Bride of Stalin is an intense movie not all would be ready for https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103025/
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  THE DEATH OF STALIN (2018) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.