Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:11:28 PM
713359 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Since then... « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Since then...  (Read 2434 times)
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« on: September 11, 2018, 08:20:17 PM »

Yeah, I could recall what I was doing that day, but it was pretty much the same thing I'm doing now (I had a job at the time, and I was looking for a better one). What really seems to register with me is the evolution of open hatred.

In the days following, Americans everywhere were crying out for blood yet we weren't quite sure where we were going to get it from, even though we knew who did it, while a few aloof elitist snobs acted like the families of the three-thousand dead needed a soft voice and a time-out.

I remember these aloof elitist snobs trying to get Americans to ask ourselves what we may have done to cause this, because selective memories wanted us to forget everything Bill Clinton had done to p**s off Al-Qaeda during the previous eight years, while the justice department turned their attention towards some computer magnate for show.

Above all, I remember flags going up EVERYWHERE- And people everywhere expressing outrage over these flags... There were fundamentalist Muslims & African American groups saying it was the new Confederate Flag. There were rednecks of Confederate Ancestry that were offended at the flag. There were stories of college students trashing memorials for a litany of excuses that would fill out a colorful set of encyclopedias.

I went through several of those magnetic American Flags. They all met with demise. One redneck even had the audacity to block my car in the middle of a Walmart parking lot & rip it off my car.

Makes me wonder what we've really been doing all this time.

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2018, 09:19:07 PM »

Wow.  I didn't see a BIT of hostility directed at the flag in my neck of the woods - but I did see a line out the door at the local recruiting station of young men ready to go get whoever it was that did this - even before we knew who did it!

I'd like to see that kind of unity in America again.  But unity requires a cause we can all agree on, and in this polarized age, I am not sure that even another 9/11 style attack would provide that.

And that makes me sad.  Bluesad

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
LilCerberus

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2018, 10:15:23 PM »

Wow.  I didn't see a BIT of hostility directed at the flag in my neck of the woods - but I did see a line out the door at the local recruiting station of young men ready to go get whoever it was that did this - even before we knew who did it!

I'd like to see that kind of unity in America again.  But unity requires a cause we can all agree on, and in this polarized age, I am not sure that even another 9/11 style attack would provide that.

True.
There was a happy & healthy amount of that going on at first, as we helped to re-liberate the land we had rescued from The Soviet Union some fifteen years earlier, from whence the little ingrates came...

But, then there came another conflict, which, the selective memories would have you believe was best friends with the guy who bombed us, which couldn't have been farther from the truth.
A conflict, which I'll admit, in the end, may have been about the oil, but as the selective memories would have you forget, was, in the beginning, about how he had been p**sing off the UN for at least ten years, with an adequate deal of circumstantial evidence the selective memories have tried to pretend wasn't found.

The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
Svengoolie 3

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 10:18:20 PM »

I remember being at a vet's office on a Kitty issue. When we left for the office one tower was down but the other was still standing. When we were at the vet's the other tower had collapsed.

There was a little boy at the vet's who started laughing loudly and as I recall cheering that both towers were down. I was a couple rooms away so did not see it directly but I remember a nurse at the counter telling him firmly to stop it at once.

Coming home from the vet I remember looking into the clear,  bright sky (know that I live near a few airports.)  and not seeing a single airplane in the whole sky,  and I was searching.  Not one. I could not recall a time there was never at least a few planes in the sky. I knew that day changed everything when I could not see a single plane anywhere in the sky.

I had always thought something like 911 could happen, planes hijacked and used as. Weapons.  I was surprised to see it actually happen and wondered why I was.

The doctor that circumcised Trump threw away the wrong piece.
Svengoolie 3

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 10:22:30 PM »

Speaking of anti American sentiment happening 'somewhere else' I saw independence day at the theater and I. Had heard of people cheering when the white house was destroyed. There were no cheers when that happened. At. My. Local theater.  People did cheer when the dog jumped clear of the explosion, when. Smith punched the alien,  when the guy killed the alien in the lab and when McQuaid rammed the alien weapon.

indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2018, 10:24:45 PM »

I still kinda like that movie!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
LilCerberus

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2018, 10:30:02 PM »

I had the day off from work. I was getting ready that morning for some sort of counseling group for mentally challenged people trying to get better work, when I got a strange call from the MC asking if I was coming. then I flicked on the TV & saw the 1st tower smoking. then I saw the 2nd plane hit. I went on to the meeting. only one other person showed up. The 3 of us watched the rest unfold on television.

indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2018, 10:38:04 PM »

I was teaching a class full of 8th graders.  We listened to it unfold over the radio.

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2018, 10:44:14 PM »

I was at work. I heard about it at 10:00 break. I went home after that and called my mother-who lived on Long Island-just to make sure she wasn't in the city and was ok.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
LilCerberus

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2018, 10:53:28 PM »

So I went home after this failed job counseling meeting.

I thought about these relatives I had in the Greater DC area that I never talked to & tried to call them, but they didn't answer their phone... Then the Rush Limbaugh Show came on, & it was a guest host (I can't remember which one). They said they couldn't reach him...

I believe this was really my first experience of concern, to really worry about other people...
At some point, the Rush Limbaugh Show was preempted by a local talk host with nothing constructive to add, just padding his own ego needed to be preempted considering the circumstances, so I spent the next hour & a half to Rush on dial-up.
That's when my relatives near DC started trying to call me back...

LilCerberus

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2018, 10:59:04 PM »

I worked at a local newspaper at the time.
I had the day off.
First time in several decades they printed an 'Extra'.
From that day until I left, they always had an American Flag hang in the plant.

Svengoolie 3

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2018, 11:55:04 PM »

I still kinda like that movie!

I guess no one cheered when the white house was blown up in yours either.

Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2018, 02:40:05 AM »

9/11 is my birthday: the horrors of that day 17 years ago have never left me.  Bluesad

I will never forget the anger I felt after seeing this happen to a country and people I like: the anger still lingers.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2018, 04:43:57 AM »

I remember that day pretty well. I'd just finished my phase 1 training (basic) and it was the first day of phase 2 (trade training). We'd travelled upto Cosford and walked over to the ETF building and into our crew room. They had a projection screen TV and just as I walked in the room the second airplane hit. As the US invoked Article 15, we went upto Amber (the second highest state of alert), and remained there for the next three months. We were told to expect to be deployed to the desert. Since we weren't fully trained for our technical job we'd be used as infantry, going out on patrols, setting up barbed wire fences and whatnot, although in the end they decided not to interupt our training and it didn't happen, although when my little brother joined up a year later he did end up having his training broken up by a three month stint guarding an USAAF base (which may have had something to do with his kidney failure and subsequent need for a transplant afterward, due to how the blankets they were given had been stored, but that is another story).

I had civilian friends in the nearest city (Birmingham), and that weekend I headed in to see them. I remember being the only guy on the train heading into town who was white (the area has a very high muslim population), and feeling very suspicious of all of them. I wonder how they were feeling?

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2018, 06:05:15 AM »

My anger at George W. Bush also still lingers: sitting on his butt in a classroom while innocent Americans were dying in the hundreds.  Hatred

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Since then... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.