Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:44:16 AM
713389 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Christopher lee as fu manchu « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Christopher lee as fu manchu  (Read 1424 times)
Svengoolie 3
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: September 19, 2018, 07:15:09 PM »

Okay Mr.  Lee gets a lot of press for being Dracula  In like umpteen films by hammer, but he also played another villain in a series of movies.  He starred in 5 movies as Fu Manchu.  Now some people consider Fu Manchu a racist stereotype.  Well in the first place is Dracula an ethnic stereotype? Also as evil as the modern Chinese government is,  the last thing the Chinese have to complain about is a comic level villain

The FM movies don't have the benefit of the legendary Hammer studio name attached to them but still have that "British" feel to them that I usually associate with hammer films.

Personally I think the first FM movie, "the face of Fu manchu",  was the best.  The plot of foreign terrorist using civilian aircraft to carry out an attack that murdered some 3000 people in a movie made in 1965 is somewhat eerie today.

The rest of the series gradually degenerated in budget and quality until the fifth one, the awful "castle of Fu Manchu",  was practically a plea from the  series to be euthanized.

The series had an entry,  "the brides of Fu manchu",  which even I admit was a pander to the worst form of racist stereotype,  the old "they want our white women!!" But it was a movie made in england in the 60's. Such were  the times..

All in all the first few were  enjoyable enough British 60's tough (English)   good guy vs super bad (foreign)  guy films. I can't recommend the last one at all. It received a well earned roasting on MST3K which may be the only enjoyable way to watch it.

The doctor that circumcised Trump threw away the wrong piece.
Ticonderoga 64
Disillusionist

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 06:30:47 PM »

I like the Lee Fu Manchu series, although the first three seem to be a better quality than the Jess Franco directed final two. The series is generally fast paced and has some decent casts throughout. The films usually get overlooked when UK fantasy/horror.sci-fi movies are discussed but are well-worth checking out if you havent seen any.
Archivist

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 08:22:46 PM »

The Fu Manchu films look hella fun, although the Peter Sellers movie was what introduced me to this character in the 80's. Christopher Lee as Fu Manchu blows my mind. I'll always remember Christopher Lee with his golden gun, his Eye of Sauron, his vampire fangs, and his third nipple.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
Svengoolie 3

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 11:19:52 PM »

Well,  he likely would prefer that to being remembered for a one piece black spandex leotard with a face cutout and a 5 pointed hat and a garish flying snake on the chest....

Lord you can see the anguish on his face. Hang in there,  Chris.  4 words to remember: Lord of the Rings!

The doctor that circumcised Trump threw away the wrong piece.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Christopher lee as fu manchu « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.