Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 07:09:09 PM
714321 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Solo « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Solo  (Read 2950 times)
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« on: October 03, 2018, 03:58:01 PM »

Wasn't bad.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 06:29:41 PM »

Hey, a new STAR WARS movie you actually liked!  (I liked it too)

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 08:58:35 PM »

Oh, funny! I think except for The Force Awakens I liked them all, though Return of the Jedi had no momentum, no energy, and I writhe in annoyance every time I am expected to believe Palpatine could be killed with a toss down a generator chute. The Last Jedi was darn good, IMHO, so there's hope for the franchise's future. Solo, yeah, not bad. Especially since here plainly and past all arguments Han Shot First. That left me at peace with the universe. Ahhhhh.

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2018, 09:25:16 PM »

I think that scene was a not-too-subtle flipping of the bird to George Lucas and the "remastered" SW trilogy.

Yeah, I have enjoyed the new ones, too.

I think these folks who are all invested in the "extended universe" franchise to the extent that they can't let others enjoy the new movies can be annoying sometimes.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Svengoolie 3
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2018, 02:10:45 AM »

Oh, funny! I think except for The Force Awakens I liked them all, though Return of the Jedi had no momentum, no energy, and I writhe in annoyance every time I am expected to believe Palpatine could be killed with a toss down a generator chute. The Last Jedi was darn good, IMHO, so there's hope for the franchise's future. Solo, yeah, not bad. Especially since here plainly and past all arguments Han Shot First. That left me at peace with the universe. Ahhhhh.

Vader could have crushes his neck or broken his back with his remaining hand. Plus he was zapping vader who was holding him, and we saw his own force lighting could hurt him.

The doctor that circumcised Trump threw away the wrong piece.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2018, 07:08:36 AM »

Vader could have crushes his neck or broken his back with his remaining hand. Plus he was zapping vader who was holding him, and we saw his own force lighting could hurt him.

I know but this was a being who whacked four Jedi at once in ROTS and who toyed with and manhandled Darth Maul and his brother in TCW. I still think Palpatine was looking for a way out of the life, retire to a nice asteroid he had hidden away somewhere, and he set up his own fake death.

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2018, 07:53:36 AM »

I always think of sitting alone jerking off when I think of the title to this movie.
That's just me.  Bluesad

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2018, 01:49:06 PM »

LOL

Dr. Whom
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Cthulhu for president! Why choose the lesser evil?

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2018, 02:43:19 AM »

It is a Western! It has heists, train robberies, gambling saloons, bands of outlaws, stand offs and and an old fashioned duel in the sun.

And a very entertaining movie at that. Pacing is good so you don't overthink things, lots of action, spectacular scenes. No silly showboating, contrived situations or convoluted side plots (I'm looking at you, Last Jedi)

Which raises the question: why is it set in the Star Wars universe? (apart from the obvious answer: money, if you slap the SW-logo on anything, fans will buy it)

For one thing, it opens possibilities. You have a ready made world, with tha public  knowing more or less how it works and -very importantly- cool villains. Also, you have all the trappings of space opera, with space ships, people shooting lasers, robots and aliens, which makes for a more interesting setting. And you are not constrained by any historical realism at all. I'm all for it. I like space opera a lot more than westerns.

On the other hand, did we really need this addition to the Solo saga? Much like Rogue One, which must be the most elaborate way anyone ever tried to retcon a plot device, Solo goes out of its way to explain every throwaway line about Han Solo in the original trilogy. Do we really want to know how Han Solo got to Tatooine or what the Kessel Run is and how you do in in 12 Parsecs? My 12 year old self would have loved that, but I've moved on since then.

I have the same feeling here as with Rogue One. I like the movie, and it is a good idea to set in the Star Wars universe of the original trilogy, but all the references to those movies feel forced and tacked on. (I'll make one exception, it is nice to know Han definitely shot first)

"Once you get past a certain threshold, everyone's problems are the same: fortifying your island and hiding the heat signature from your fusion reactor."

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2018, 03:01:12 AM »

Welcome back, Dr. Whom!

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Solo « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.