Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:53:24 AM
713325 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Toxic Fandoms « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Toxic Fandoms  (Read 3468 times)
justme2013
Bad Movie Lover

« on: September 27, 2018, 02:40:30 PM »

Okay I'm a huge geek and a member of many fandoms including Star Wars and Harry Potter. We all know how toxic the Star Wars fandom has become, I find it easier to just not express my views to other Star Wars fans unless I know where their views are or that they are at least semi sane people.
With the latest trailer for Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them there's a small group of fans who seem to be stepping towards the toxic side as well because they disagree with where the creator of the Harry Potter universe is taking certain characters and the story, it's even been discussed on the BBC News.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-45666350

Does anyone else feel that the fans are starting to ruin fandoms and take the joy of enjoying a universe that's been created by someone else?
Do you think that fans take these fandoms too seriously and become too wrapped up in them?
Do you think that people are just looking for reasons to be offended and then become keyboard warriors by reading too much into something and then blowing it out of proportion?

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2018, 02:47:52 PM »

There seems to be a lot of people who are convinced that if you make a villain a particular nationality, ethnicity or whatever then you are automatically a racist.

I do not think that word means what they think it means.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2018, 03:09:19 PM »

The joy people find in feigning vicarious outrage has become a cancer in this age, and has endangered creativity and free expression via bullying.

It seems like when I was young, back in the '80s, free speech was threatened by the religious fringe of the right wing, now it's coming from the left, and in the age of the internet it's a much bigger deal.

This Nagina/racist stupidity about Harry Potter would be laughable if it didn't represent an ongoing trend of oversensitivity that has erupted like a sore.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Svengoolie 3
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2018, 04:39:05 AM »

Our whole society has become toxic.  What are now called "trolls" but as bill maher pointed out we used to call "sadists" take delight in hurling abuse and hate over the net.  Stars are routinely subjected to hate,  treats,  racist cracks,  etc! Star wars acrressesmhave been told they need to be raped.

The net makes being a hateful a$$hole so safe today.  Now its cool to be cruel.  If you can't say something  hateful don't say anything at all.

The doctor that circumcised Trump threw away the wrong piece.
316zombie
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2018, 04:49:44 PM »

i first noticed the toxic syndrome with my soap operas, back in the 80's& early 90's. all my children and days of our lives fans were the worst culprits, imho.
   i remember when bianca " came out" on all my children, i actually had to throw out a bar customer who threatened to hit me for cheering the character's bravery, and eden riegel had her life threatened because her CHARACTER was gay.
Svengoolie 3

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2018, 08:24:54 PM »

My first toxic fhandom experience was with babylon 5. A segment of the b5 fhandom was pretty toxic towards star trek and it's fans. They seemed to feel like tnhey had to tear down trek and attack trek fans to make themselves feel like they were better.

The doctor that circumcised Trump threw away the wrong piece.
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2018, 12:06:36 PM »

My first toxic fandom was back in the day when DC comics still had its forum up and running.  I'm a fan of the Green Lantern hero and the one I personally liked was Kyle Rayner.  The one who became the sole GL in the wake of Emerald Twilight storyline.

(Long story short: Hal Jordan the silver age GL went crazy and became the villian Parallax, destroyed the Corp and Kyle took over as the last GL for a while)

Fans of Hal were so upset the formed and organization H.E.A.T (Hal's Emerald Advancement Team) even taking out a full page ad in Wizard Magazine to get the changes undone.

But a lot of fans liked Kyle.  He was an artist so he would use the ring to created a visually interesting light constructs instead of simple things like boxing gloves and bubbles.

There was a very sharp divide in the fandom for quite some time. We fought constantly. Myself included.  It got bad enough that even when they did finally restore Hal Jordan to a proper hero position-I stopped reading the book.

Eventually I went back, because story lines like the Sinestro Corp and the War of Light were just awesome stories.

But toxic fans and going to extremes to shape story lines and company products is nothing new.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
justme2013
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2018, 02:42:23 PM »

My first toxic fandom was back in the day when DC comics still had its forum up and running.  I'm a fan of the Green Lantern hero and the one I personally liked was Kyle Rayner.  The one who became the sole GL in the wake of Emerald Twilight storyline.

(Long story short: Hal Jordan the silver age GL went crazy and became the villian Parallax, destroyed the Corp and Kyle took over as the last GL for a while)

Fans of Hal were so upset the formed and organization H.E.A.T (Hal's Emerald Advancement Team) even taking out a full page ad in Wizard Magazine to get the changes undone.

But a lot of fans liked Kyle.  He was an artist so he would use the ring to created a visually interesting light constructs instead of simple things like boxing gloves and bubbles.

There was a very sharp divide in the fandom for quite some time. We fought constantly. Myself included.  It got bad enough that even when they did finally restore Hal Jordan to a proper hero position-I stopped reading the book.

Eventually I went back, because story lines like the Sinestro Corp and the War of Light were just awesome stories.

But toxic fans and going to extremes to shape story lines and company products is nothing new.

It seems that's the internet does a lot to feed into the toxicity. Keyboard warriors take it to the extreme
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Toxic Fandoms « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.