Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:43:54 AM
713393 Posts in 53059 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  New who. « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: New who.  (Read 5530 times)
Svengoolie 3
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: October 16, 2018, 12:22:25 AM »

Sooo, wanna talk about the new dr. who season? I'm totally ok with the new doctor, btw.

The doctor that circumcised Trump threw away the wrong piece.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 10:45:19 AM »

I accidentally saw a minute of it Saturday night and my soul fell. I thought, should I give it a chance?

No. It wasn't in me to sink to that level and reward this travesty.

Plus there is no way a male nerd audience is going to trust someone who has both a TARDIS and PMS.

Seriously, Doctor Who long ago ceased to be Doctor Who. If they had given a time lady her own series everyone would have been supportive but this gender change in the Doctor is as deliberately inflammatory as someone casting Dolph Lundgren as Malcolm X.

I guess even sci-fi has a few rules.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 10:53:32 AM »

Yeah, I'd have liked to seen a strong female new character, not just repurposing a male character. It's just like all the stuff about changing the ethnicity of characters and so on.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Svengoolie 3

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 05:51:26 PM »

Well,  glad to know I'm on the right side then! i'm sure my karma will go down again now.

ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 09:13:29 PM »

Well,  glad to know I'm on the right side then! i'm sure my karma will go down again now.

I doubt it. It's not sporting to dock someone's karma just because their opinion differs from your own. It has to be something egregious. I guess there are exceptions but just hitting someone because you dislike their view on a show or song is not good manners. If you like the new Doctor, watch her and have a good time. (For all I know she might be great, I'm protesting as a CO.)

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2018, 12:23:42 AM »

Hmm, you claim not to be a hypocrite and yet you stated very clearly that you were against changing the races of characters in previous posts and yet you don't have a problem changing their sex. It had already been established in the rules for the Who universe that the Dr couldn't change sex and I feel this is just bowing to political correctness and (I feel) a wasted opportunity to create a new strong female character. I disagree with their casting of The Master as a woman for the same reasons. Why not have a new character who is female and can be a role model for girls, establish new territory for them, rather than having a second hand male character. You asked for people's opinions (and I had previously mentioned mine on this forum about changing the Dr's sex), so handing out negative karma it feels like you are just returning to your old trolling ways.

If you don't want what to hear what other people think, then there is a simple answer. Don't ask for their opinions.

Still, I guess it you feel my reasons are dumb it just reinforces my opinion of you as not quite being as intelligent as you like to claim. But then I don't hand out negative karma for you having different opinions to me, I keep giving you it because you keep acting like an ass. It's just a shame you can't quite understand that. If you like the new Dr then I don't have a problem with that. I am sure lots of people do. I just don't enjoy the new format of the show or that they are changing the established rules of the Who universe just to fit in with the PC brigades demands. I have no particular objection to Jodie Whittaker. The films and shows I have seen her in previously she's been a decent actress (my favourite is Attack the Block).

Thinking you are going to receive negative karma for handing it out just shows that you have a very petty mindset and lack the emotional maturity to realise other people can have different mindsets to you. Especially since you believe wanting women to be able to stand up on their own two feet and have their own rolemodels is "Kinda dumb". If you really want to believe that you are on the right side for that... well I'll leave you in that position and you can go on telling yourself that. Sheesh, and I thought my views on these things were outdated and that I had problems keeping up with modern society. You make me feel positively like a new age man instead.

Neither your nor my position is right or wrong, they are just our opinions. I hope one day you evolve emotionally and mentally enough to appreciate that. Until then, you have my pity. And I will wear your negative karma as a badge of pride against someone who wants to stifle anyone who doesn't want to agree with him.

Maybe instead of asking for peoples opinions you should say "Agree with me or else face my disapproval" if all you can do is hand out negative karma to everyone who doesn't agree with you?

Don't worry though, I am sure all those facists you claim to hate will be proud of you for trying to stifle disenting opinions.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 01:34:47 AM by Dark Alex » Logged

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
justme2013
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2018, 03:33:46 AM »

Sooo, wanna talk about the new dr. who season? I'm totally ok with the new doctor, btw.

In all honesty I’m not a fan of the new Doctor. I’m tired of my favourite characters being changed to fit the current political movement. Dr Who has always been male to me. I do applaud their choice to give a companion a disability though.

My perspective comes from growing up watching sci fi and fantasy and being a woman. We need more strong original female characters not rehashed male characters.
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2018, 04:00:27 AM »

In all honesty I’m not a fan of the new Doctor. I’m tired of my favourite characters being changed to fit the current political movement. Dr Who has always been male to me. I do applaud their choice to give a companion a disability though.

My perspective comes from growing up watching sci fi and fantasy and being a woman. We need more strong original female characters not rehashed male characters.

I agree completely. Women deserve better than second hand male characters. Just a shame some people aren't quite smart enough to understand this and blind enough to think they are right.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 05:09:06 AM by Dark Alex » Logged

Svengoolie 3

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2018, 05:15:40 AM »

The doctor never was a man,  he's an alien from an incredibly advanced race.  As such the character is likely above and beyond our limited concepts of gender.

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2018, 05:25:08 AM »

A race that also has male and female genders just the same as us. As I mentioned above, it was established previously that time lords could not switch gender.

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2018, 06:16:26 AM »

Oh and you are also wrong about him being a member of an advanced alien race. The doctor is half human, half Time Lord (or Jewelian, or Homeworldian or Gallifrayian depending on which of the many names the home planet of the time lords has been given).

If that half of his species had evolved beyond using gender why do they have so many gender dependant titles, rather than neutral ones? Not to mention that the previously mentioned transfer of The Master's name to The Mistress blows that argument entirely out of the water.

I don't mind engaging in a battle of wits, but please don't turn up unarmed.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 07:07:14 AM by Dark Alex » Logged

Svengoolie 3

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2018, 09:10:04 PM »

The doctor is nit half human,  he has two hearts and regenerates. Hecd gallifreyan. Please don't mistake snark for valid arguments.

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2018, 01:01:37 AM »

The 1996 Dr Who movie begs to differ from you. Just because he has elements of his fathers heritage does not make him full blood Gallifreyan. When he has blue eyes for example this is something incredibly unusual amongst his species and said to come from his human side. It was never a popular move (and I prefer the idea of him being completely non-human myself, and thought this was lazy writing however it was established and has never been removed. Steve Moffat has also confirmed that he is half human on a couple of occasions. From the novels it is hinted several times (although not 100% confirmed) that his mother is a Victorian lady called Penelope Gate. Russell T Davies disliked the idea as well, but explictly did not remove it from canon.

When they were writing the movie, he was made half human to explain why with the whole of time and space to wander why he had such an interest in the Earth. It was not put in to confuse an enemy, or because the Dr likes to keep the details of his past shrouded in mystery.

Please don't mistake any of your points for a valid argument. They have all been provably wrong thus far and just because your opinion on them differs that does not make them fact. The only thing you have right is that you think the new Dr is ok, which is fine. Me, I'd rather have seen them kill off the dr when he reached his limit on regenerations rather than changing that and then have a woman take over the Tardis. That is just my opinion though.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 02:18:19 AM by Dark Alex » Logged

Ticonderoga 64
Disillusionist

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2018, 06:18:33 PM »

This series is really a chore to get through so far..it's getting rather tiresome watching this SARAH JANE ADVENTURES knockoff(Minus Liz Sladen) with it's constant political preaching creeping into every episode as well as the weekly American bashing during the tedious scripting. The shows run from boring as hell to just plain bad with Jodie Whitaker as the weakest link of the lot. She doesnt have the prescence needed for the Doctor and her performance seems to consist mainly of gawping with her mouth open looking dumbfounded or making bizarre comments at times that dont quite fit with the eccentricity of the character, in fact , they make her look like an idiot at times rather than alien. She seems more like a cosplayer apeing the Doctor rather than anything else. The supporting cast are left with pretty much nothing to do but stand around and marvel at how "amazing" the Doctor is.

I find myself wishing the Doctor to show up in every episode and sort things out, but it never happens, instead we have this knockoff that has no conception of the character and seems to be just phoning in a weird but mostly bland performance weekly. She actually had the nerve to say Matt Smith and Peter Capaldi were not right for playing the Doctor, only adding to her cluelessness of the character. In her case, I wouldnt even say it is a mistake of gender casting, she simply isnt fit for the role.

The TARDIS interior looks like s**t! No wonder it is so dimly lit these days so you cant notice how hideous it is with the bad ice sculpture console. If this is Chibnall's vision of the show, he can keep it! His scripts prior to being showrunner were some of the worst the show has ever seen and he's imported his brand of political slant and outright crappy scripting to the show full time.

I've seen many eras of Doctor Who, some great, some good and some not-so good, but this is a real train wreck.
Svengoolie 3

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2018, 07:25:46 PM »

Yeah I am not liking the new tardis set. Capaldi's was better.  I hope they do some eps without Americans as bad guys.  2 in a row is enough.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  New who. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.