Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:00:34 AM
713393 Posts in 53059 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Been Thinking About McCarthyism This Morning « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Been Thinking About McCarthyism This Morning  (Read 6567 times)
Svengoolie 3
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2018, 07:05:28 AM »

Nixon tried to sabotage democracy, which is one of the highest forms of treason against America even if it's not legally recognized  as such. In fact among many sabotaging democracy s looked upon as a funny thing to do.

Karl Rove bragged early in his career he hired people to constantly call the local democrat office during campaigns to jam up their phone lines and make it hard or impossible for them to manage their campaigns. He bragged about this and his fellow conservatives think he's just the cleverest little thing. He was actively sabotaging democracy and should have been imprisoned.

He also liked to leave flyers in poor neighborhoods saying the democrat campaign office would be giving out free food and beer on election day to attract a crowd of them to disrupt the office. Again more sabotage of democracy, again looked u[on as a great idea.

Actively trying to sabotage democracy should be considered a crime against america as a whole, instead its looked upon with respect when something like turd blossom does it.

The doctor that circumcised Trump threw away the wrong piece.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2018, 10:19:15 AM »

Nixon tried to sabotage democracy, which is one of the highest forms of treason against America even if it's not legally recognized  as such. In fact among many sabotaging democracy s looked upon as a funny thing to do.

Karl Rove bragged early in his career he hired people to constantly call the local democrat office during campaigns to jam up their phone lines and make it hard or impossible for them to manage their campaigns. He bragged about this and his fellow conservatives think he's just the cleverest little thing. He was actively sabotaging democracy and should have been imprisoned.

He also liked to leave flyers in poor neighborhoods saying the democrat campaign office would be giving out free food and beer on election day to attract a crowd of them to disrupt the office. Again more sabotage of democracy, again looked u[on as a great idea.

Actively trying to sabotage democracy should be considered a crime against america as a whole, instead its looked upon with respect when something like turd blossom does it.

Years ago a friend of mine in Austin lived in the same community as Karl Rove and was pulling in one evening and Rove was standing in the street talking to some people and when he told me about the encounter I asked my friend, "Did Karl Rove's eyes shine unnaturally in your headlights?"

I guess he could hide his mortal disguise better than that.

Rove backed GWB's constant second-guessing of the intelligence community to the point yes-men took over operations and an edge gained in the Clinton years was lost. Believe it or not (sigh) things in that way got much better in the Obama years.

Rove was so loathed by much of the mid-level and under figures in US intelligence I am surprised he didn't have a "heart attack" long ago.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2018, 10:39:42 AM »

He (Chambers) was also right about https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Dexter_White
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2018, 11:26:12 AM »

lester is right.

Honestly, however exploited the Red Scare may have been, the United States was infested with Soviet agents all throughout the Cold War, with many operatives early in the period having helped the Soviets during the war out of questionable good intentions, since the Soviets were our allies at the time, and some were then unwillingly entrapped by the Soviets into continuing their work. I wouldn't be surprised if for every turncoat we know about, several more got away with it. While HUAC was picking on the secretaries of movie studio execs, real spies were quietly burrowing into everyday life.

I'll say it again, the world has never seen an intelligence agency like the KGB. It was an espionage factory. Blackmail, bribery, coercion, extortion, infiltration, confidences based on sexual relationships, they made an industry out of it all the size of General Motors, and being open the West made it much easier for them to operate here than they ever did for us to get inside over there.

I once heard a terrifying, credible story about how the KGB had stores of nuclear waste buried across the US, waiting to be used on our homeland in time of war.

And that's just the Soviets. The East Germans were over here in startling numbers too and were if anything more daring and vicious. At one point in the late 1980s the Stasi directly threatened the families of CIA employees here in the United States, even in the heartland, and got what it wanted as a result. Namely, a number of American operations within East Berlin were shut down.

It's a wonder we came through the Cold War as unscathed as we did.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2018, 07:38:13 PM »

I think that is overstating it.  Let's be blunt: Nixon cheated to win an election he was going to win anyway.  There was simply NO WAY George McGovern was going to win in 1972.  He stood no chance.  But, that wasn't good enough for tricky Dick.  He wanted a landslide, and manipulated the process until he got one.  It was stupid and it was criminal and frankly, he needed to resign over it.
But it's not like it changed the result of the election.

I think your passionate hatred of all things conservative and Christian blinds you to much of the good that conservatives have done.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2018, 07:52:49 PM »

The main thing I don't like about Nixon is yes- he ended the Vietnam war, but before he did that, he ramped it up it to a covert war. And that is real wrong! Your sending someones son out to die-and they're mothers don't even know wtf he's fighting for?
Nixon used connections even before he won the election to extend the war until he got elected.
And he dragged it out on the premise "America has never lost a war!"
He did't want to lose face.
Tricky Dick!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 07:58:29 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2018, 08:08:10 PM »

As far as his forgien policy goes- (i.e. China), Kissinger took care of most of that.
But, even after all that, I respect the man because when he knew the jig was up, he resigned.
I was p**sed at first when I heard on the TV that Ford was pardoning him, but I respect Ford's judgement now because he was right- dragging the country threw a big trial would be not f**king good. So he pardoned him. It was actually a brave thing for Ford to do.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2018, 08:22:52 PM »

I would give you karma for that if I could, RC!
BTW, I highly recommend Conrad Black's NIXON - A LIFE IN FULL.  It is the best biography of the man I have ever read.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2018, 10:14:58 PM »

While I'm having ADHD, could somebody tell what that REM song was about?

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2018, 10:36:14 PM »

"it's the end of the world as we know it-and I feel fine!"

Well, that's pretty self explanatory.

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2018, 11:40:53 PM »

"it's the end of the world as we know it-and I feel fine!"

Well, that's pretty self explanatory.
No, I was asking about the song Exhuming McCarthy.....
And while I've got Document by REM on my mind, the music from Disturbance At The Heron House is ripped off from I Hear The Call by The Unforgiven.

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2018, 07:46:23 PM »

Nixon is an underrated O. Stone movie
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2018, 04:55:34 PM »

So is JFK, by Stone.
I have always questioned the government report, though if the truth resembles this movie-I dunno. I don't think we will ever really know.

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2018, 12:19:40 AM »

So is JFK, by Stone.
I have always questioned the government report, though if the truth resembles this movie-I dunno. I don't think we will ever really know.
I don't think the truth resembles that movie. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2018, 12:31:52 AM »

I've gone full circle on JFK; I used to be 90% convinced there was a conspiracy that killed him, now I am about 75% sure that Oswald did it alone.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Been Thinking About McCarthyism This Morning « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.