Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 07:59:58 AM
714150 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7732 Members
Latest Member: Larryfiste
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  The All-Purpose Political Thread « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 39
Author Topic: The All-Purpose Political Thread  (Read 118183 times)
Svengoolie 3
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #120 on: December 13, 2018, 08:14:48 PM »

I never could understand why chrsitians in america get into politics. They seem so certain that absolutely everything is going to go their god's way no matter what we mere mortals want or do, yet the seem to feel they just have to get into politics so they can make christian values into laws that are forced on people ultimately at the point of police guns.

If christians really think their god exists and is so all powerful why not stay out of politics since it doesn't matter what governments do, their awesome god will have his way no matter what it costs us.

When i see christians so feverishly running for office I can't help thinking that it's almost as if, deep down they realize their god can't do anything at all, really, so they must make his will come to pass by seizing worldly power.

Also I'm going to say I do not want christians in political power, because they pretty much generally look for ways to abuse their power to force their views on other pepople and make life just that much harder on people who aren't part of their collective.

Also, I don't want people who are convinced the world is coming to an end and it's all going to be great for them and to hell (literally) with everyone else in power. I don't want someone who believes that humans can't affect the climate and the environment because it's all god's will. I want people who acknowledge that we are affecting the climate and the environment and we can do something about it and that the end of the world is something to look forward to.

I want leaders who want to prevent the end of the world as much as possible. I want leaders who will try to do things to make things better instead of just chiming "Oh it's all god's will!"

« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 08:25:05 PM by Svengoolie 3 » Logged

The doctor that circumcised Trump threw away the wrong piece.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #121 on: December 13, 2018, 10:37:12 PM »

I never could understand why chrsitians in america get into politics. They seem so certain that absolutely everything is going to go their god's way no matter what we mere mortals want or do, yet the seem to feel they just have to get into politics so they can make christian values into laws that are forced on people ultimately at the point of police guns.
If christians really think their god exists and is so all powerful why not stay out of politics since it doesn't matter what governments do, their awesome god will have his way no matter what it costs us.
When i see christians so feverishly running for office I can't help thinking that it's almost as if, deep down they realize their god can't do anything at all, really, so they must make his will come to pass by seizing worldly power.
Also I'm going to say I do not want christians in political power, because they pretty much generally look for ways to abuse their power to force their views on other pepople and make life just that much harder on people who aren't part of their collective.
Also, I don't want people who are convinced the world is coming to an end and it's all going to be great for them and to hell (literally) with everyone else in power. I don't want someone who believes that humans can't affect the climate and the environment because it's all god's will. I want people who acknowledge that we are affecting the climate and the environment and we can do something about it and that the end of the world is something to look forward to.
I want leaders who want to prevent the end of the world as much as possible. I want leaders who will try to do things to make things better instead of just chiming "Oh it's all god's will!"

You are confusing people  and  God.  They do not speak for such, though they may imagine that they do.  I believe that God would be diplomatic yet direct. 

I think, otherwise, I might agree with everything you say. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #122 on: December 13, 2018, 11:00:12 PM »

I NEVER thought I would see the day when I missed Nixon.  Bluesad

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #123 on: December 14, 2018, 12:40:07 AM »

Well, I realize that many Christians have done bad things.  That is true of every faith in the history of the world; but most of the bad done by Christians has been done when they ignore what Jesus actually taught.
To be honest, we are often our own worst enemy.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Svengoolie 3

« Reply #124 on: December 14, 2018, 01:06:24 AM »

You are confusing people  and  God.  They do not speak for such, though they may imagine that they do.  I believe that God would be diplomatic yet direct. 

I think, otherwise, I might agree with everything you say. 

Thank you.

Svengoolie 3

« Reply #125 on: December 14, 2018, 01:11:36 AM »

Well, I realize that many Christians have done bad things.  That is true of every faith in the history of the world; but most of the bad done by Christians has been done when they ignore what Jesus actually taught.
To be honest, we are often our own worst enemy.

This is true.  Humans evolved from what we would call animals who had a string survival drive.  Killing others of your kind and taking their food,  etc,  was a valid survival strategy for our earliest ancestors,  but as we evolved to be social animals we developed traits that made it easier to work together,  and those who could work together we're better at surviving than the "lone wolves" so these traits became reinforced.  But at that base of our brains we still have the animal drive to survive and thrive at all costs without regard to others.  That's the paradoxical duality of humanity, we evolved from animals that our personal survival above all else but evolved into social animals that do better by cooperation.  We are a conflicted people within and without. 

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #126 on: December 14, 2018, 11:04:58 AM »

" But at that base of our brains we still have the animal drive to survive and thrive at all costs without regard to others."

I wouldn't construe the drive to survive as a "lone wolf" as being different from having no regards for others. independence is pretty universally seen as a positive trait.

also depends on how you define "lone" for example:

Laura Ingalls wilder and little huose on the prairie were heavily dependent on their families and larger community, but didn't pay taxes or get services from the central govt. I don't think? maybe they had the post office or something, the point is there are gradations of lone wolf and "working together".
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #127 on: December 14, 2018, 11:46:51 AM »

You know there is a concept that a half-empty glass is also half-full, right?

I think inside your perpetual anger at the world not handing you what you feel you deserve, your jealousy of happy people has given you an unrealistic view of Christians you are too afraid to confront and therefore have to correct, so like all bigots you find the distortions of reality appealing and seek any affirmation that you are right.

Jesus said not all who call him Lord will enter the Kingdom of Heaven, and it's true there are many self-identifying Christians who fail to live up to Christ's ideals and even harm Christianity, but there's also the other side, which is much larger, that being people who despite their faults do try to be good and are bolstered by their relationship with Jesus. Hating is very easy, and you are very lazy, I can tell that by the hours you keep on here, getting up late, staying up late, having no job, clearly loving no one more than yourself, making "sour grapes" your unstated motto.

Also you're crazy, there's that factor.

But how about you challenge your own convictions and see if they stand up to reality? Look for the good in this life, because it is there, even in people who completely disagree with you. It would take courage and effort, but you should try those things sometime and see how you feel afterward.

Ever wonder why I invest time in replying to you in here? It's not that I hate you, it's that I really do pity you. You're like a human version of Gollum.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #128 on: December 14, 2018, 02:09:07 PM »

Also you're crazy, there's that factor.

BounceGiggle

Your calling people crazy?
That's like me calling you crazy.
I don't think anybody on this board is crazy.
But I do think we are all kinda twisted.  TongueOut
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 02:13:33 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #129 on: December 14, 2018, 02:20:34 PM »

Sven is young and angry. ER is young and angry.
I'm old and angry.
We're all f**king angry!  hot
Ain't it groovy?  Twirling
Merry f**king Christmas!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 02:23:04 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #130 on: December 14, 2018, 02:25:01 PM »

I have to keep reassuring myself that my mental health gets tests all the time, so I must either be acceptably crazy or still north of the cutoff line.

Sven's a lot older than you'd think, and I'm not angry, just poking the turd on the beach with a long stick.

This place is my sound-off zone, and in my day to day life I'm a lot more....shrug. I bet 20% of the times I've cussed in my life have been on this site.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 02:27:17 PM by ER » Logged

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #131 on: December 14, 2018, 02:34:36 PM »

Sven's a lot older than you'd think, and I'm not angry, just poking the turd on the beach with a long stick.

Dam. Use your Christian upbringing...don't call the person your debating a turd.
Me-I ain't a Christian.  You say you are- but being very aggressive about it is not very Christ-like.
Or maybe it is- I don't pay a lot of attention to religion too much no more, it's all  crazy s**t to me.
P.S.
You come across as very angry all the time.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 02:59:03 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
ER
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #132 on: December 14, 2018, 03:45:30 PM »

Dam. Use your Christian upbringing...don't call the person your debating a turd.
Me-I ain't a Christian.  You say you are- but being very aggressive about it is not very Christ-like.
Or maybe it is- I don't pay a lot of attention to religion too much no more, it's all  crazy s**t to me.
P.S.
You come across as very angry all the time.

I'm a bad Christian, barely holding on by the tips of my fingers, denying my instincts in every way, holding in a raging flash flood that stirs in my pagan (small p)  soul, driving me into the night to howl and kick and growl at the moon in cemeteries while reading Mary Shelley and grinding my fists into the dirt and cursing my mortality as the wind gusts and the clouds form diabolical Indian-ink shapes in the coiling heavens.

But, noooo, Sven isn't the turd I mentioned poking, I meant....the crazy stuff that washes up on the beach of life. The turd is a lot bigger than ol' Sven here.

I didn't know I came across as angry. Darn, I'm really happy and upbeat. I think I let loose certain parts of myself here that maybe....slant that view. I get down in the mud here and so that aspect gets exaggerated when I'm much calmer and more polite, I think. Remember how the first seven years I was here I was a wallflower?

Above all I'm usually half-kidding when I say something over the top on here.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 04:04:42 PM by ER » Logged

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #133 on: December 14, 2018, 07:00:05 PM »

Yeah. You come across as angry.
You don't post about films too much.
Mostly just your life and why your p**sed at the moment.
Oh- if your a bad Christian and don't practice what you preach- don't f**king throw it in my face.
Because I'll throw it right back.
You b***h at Sven all day long, and you do what you b***h about-
You hate. You do your best to grind him into the ground.

I started a thread "Things you Hate"
and you wrote you hate 'Hate'?
I don't see that. You eat it up.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 07:27:02 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #134 on: December 14, 2018, 07:37:59 PM »

Of course I came out of my Mama b***hing and screaming and havn't stopped since.
I f**king hate everything.  Hatred
I get so p**sed I just wanna drop an atom bomb on the whole f**king world.  hot

Then I have a drink and smoke a bowl and I'm OK.
Self medication.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 07:48:01 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 39
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  The All-Purpose Political Thread « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.