Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:59:02 AM
713328 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  FRIDAY NIGHT DOUBLE FEATURE! « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: FRIDAY NIGHT DOUBLE FEATURE!  (Read 4842 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« on: April 14, 2018, 05:43:08 AM »

LET THERE BE LIGHT (2017) - This was a Christian film that had slipped under my radar until I spotted it in the Redbox tonight and decided to give it a try. Kevin Sorbo produced and directed this movie, and in it he took on a similar role to Professor Radigan in GOD'S NOT DEAD - a bitter atheist and best-selling author, trashing God and Christians in print and on the debate stage as the movie begins.  He is bitter with the universe of the death of his 9 year old son from cancer, has divorced his wife, and is estranged from his two surviving sons (all played by Kevin Sorbo's actual family).  Then a near-death experience following a car crash leaves him questioning his convictions and sets him on the path to faith.  I really enjoyed this; it took a twist that I absolutely did not expect at the end.  However, at the same time, I can see how those who don't care for Christian films might not like it nearly as much. It was heavy-handed and predictable for the first hour or so. Overall, though, I thought Kevin Sorbo's performance was excellent, and even a cameo by FOX host Sean Hannity (whom I don't care for at all) couldn't ruin this film for me. 3.5/5

AND NOW FOR SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT . . .

13 SINS (2014)  Elliot Brindle is a down on his luck insurance salesman.  His bills are overdue, he's just lost his job, and he has to care for both his mentally challenged brother and his bitter, broken-down old father.  Did I mention that he is about to get married and has a baby on the way?  Driving around in despair, he gets a mysterious phone call offering him a vast fortune if he can successfully complete a series of challenges.  They are simple at first - kill the fly that is buzzing around his car.  Eat the fly.  Make a child cry.  But then they get steadily worse and more vile, until he is on the run from the cops and questioning whether or not he can finish the game . . . or if he has a choice!  Excellent, well-acted morality play with a great supporting role from Ron Perlman of HELLBOY fame.  4/5

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
claws
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2018, 10:44:35 AM »

I actually had a friday night double feature as well, The Crazies (1973) and American Graffiti (1973). I'm currently dusting off movies from my blu-ray collection I haven't watched since 2013. These two came up and made for a fun viewing.
316zombie
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 01:46:00 PM »

since tomorrow is 4-20, we'll be watching killer bong and reefer madness.. Cheers
Ticonderoga 64
Disillusionist
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2018, 02:26:56 PM »

This week, in celebration of the Halloween season, it's going to be NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD(1968) with CARNIVAL OF SOULS(1962)
Svengoolie 3

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2018, 10:01:13 PM »

LET THERE BE LIGHT (2017) - This was a Christian film that had slipped under my radar until I spotted it in the Redbox tonight and decided to give it a try. Kevin Sorbo produced and directed this movie, and in it he took on a similar role to Professor Radigan in GOD'S NOT DEAD - a bitter atheist and best-selling author, trashing God and Christians in print and on the debate stage as the movie begins.  He is bitter with the universe of the death of his 9 year old son from cancer, has divorced his wife, and is estranged from his two surviving sons (all played by Kevin Sorbo's actual family).  Then a near-death experience following a car crash leaves him questioning his convictions and sets him on the path to faith.  I really enjoyed this; it took a twist that I absolutely did not expect at the end.  However, at the same time, I can see how those who don't care for Christian films might not like it nearly as much. It was heavy-handed and predictable for the first hour or so. Overall, though, I thought Kevin Sorbo's performance was excellent, and even a cameo by FOX host Sean Hannity (whom I don't care for at all) couldn't ruin this film for me. 3.5/5

13 SINS (2014)  Elliot Brindle is a down on his luck insurance salesman.  His bills are overdue, he's just lost his job, and he has to care for both his mentally challenged brother and his bitter, broken-down old father.  Did I mention that he is about to get married and has a baby on the way?  Driving around in despair, he gets a mysterious phone call offering him a vast fortune if he can successfully complete a series of challenges.  They are simple at first - kill the fly that is buzzing around his car.  Eat the fly.  Make a child cry.  But then they get steadily worse and more vile, until he is on the run from the cops and questioning whether or not he can finish the game . . . or if he has a choice!  Excellent, well-acted morality play with a great supporting role from Ron Perlman of HELLBOY fame.  4/5

|

Indy since you obviously like christian themed movies have you ever seen a little known low budget one called "red planet mars" with peter graves? I have a sneaking hunch you just might like it...

The doctor that circumcised Trump threw away the wrong piece.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2018, 10:35:10 PM »

This week, in celebration of the Halloween season, it's going to be NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD(1968) with CARNIVAL OF SOULS(1962)
It could be worse... TCM will be showing VINCENT PRICE movies all day long on Halloween.   Lookingup 
Don't get me wrong, I like VINCENT PRICE, but I remember when they'd show cool not often seen sh!t like the BORIS KARLOFF scientist movies on Halloween...  or '40s B movies nobody knows like THE SMILING GHOST or THE VAMPIRE'S GHOST or GILDERSLEEVE'S GHOST ... 

I love both of your movies, by the way, both favorites.  I don't think I'd want to look at them for Halloween.

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2018, 10:50:04 PM »

|

Indy since you obviously like christian themed movies have you ever seen a little known low budget one called "red planet mars" with peter graves? I have a sneaking hunch you just might like it...

I will have to check it out.  Now, in honesty, most Christian films from previous decades are bloody awful.  Some of them so bad as to be almost comedic!  But I do think the general quality of Christian cinema has gone up in recent years.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Svengoolie 3

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2018, 12:07:48 AM »

LET THERE BE LIGHT (2017) - This was a Christian film that had slipped under my radar until I spotted it in the Redbox tonight and decided to give it a try. Kevin Sorbo produced and directed this movie, and in it he took on a similar role to Professor Radigan in GOD'S NOT DEAD - a bitter atheist and best-selling author, trashing God and Christians in print and on the debate stage as the movie begins.  He is bitter with the universe of the death of his 9 year old son from cancer, has divorced his wife, and is estranged from his two surviving sons (all played by Kevin Sorbo's actual family).  Then a near-death experience following a car crash leaves him questioning his convictions and sets him on the path to faith.  I really enjoyed this; it took a twist that I absolutely did not expect at the end.  However, at the same time, I can see how those who don't care for Christian films might not like it nearly as much. It was heavy-handed and predictable for the first hour or so. Overall, though, I thought Kevin Sorbo's performance was excellent, and even a cameo by FOX host Sean Hannity (whom I don't care for at all) couldn't ruin this film for me. 3.5/5

13 SINS (2014)  Elliot Brindle is a down on his luck insurance salesman.  His bills are overdue, he's just lost his job, and he has to care for both his mentally challenged brother and his bitter, broken-down old father.  Did I mention that he is about to get married and has a baby on the way?  Driving around in despair, he gets a mysterious phone call offering him a vast fortune if he can successfully complete a series of challenges.  They are simple at first - kill the fly that is buzzing around his car.  Eat the fly.  Make a child cry.  But then they get steadily worse and more vile, until he is on the run from the cops and questioning whether or not he can finish the game . . . or if he has a choice!  Excellent, well-acted morality play with a great supporting role from Ron Perlman of HELLBOY fame.  4/5

|

I will have to check it out.  Now, in honesty, most Christian films from previous decades are bloody awful.  Some of them so bad as to be almost comedic!  But I do think the general quality of Christian cinema has gone up in recent years.

well, this was a christian movie masquerading as a 1952 sci fi movie which is why i watched it. I really think you might like it, I'm actually not dick enough to try to get someone to watch a movie i know they'd hate unless it might educate them in some way. Speaking of religious stories done as SF the babylon 5 movie "third space" was a biblical story set in the B5 universe, you might want to see it if nothing else from B5. I won't say what biblical story to save the surprise but if I spotted it, you will.

BTW, this wasn't the first time christians tried to sneak in their messages disguised as sf. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Out_of_the_Silent_Planet
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 12:11:45 AM by Svengoolie 3 » Logged

Ticonderoga 64
Disillusionist

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2018, 05:20:56 PM »

Going for it tonight with RE-ANIMATOR(1985) and FROM BEYOND(1986).. Smile
Svengoolie 3

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2018, 11:04:14 PM »

Roger corman SF double feature.  Battle beyond the stars and galaxy of terror.

Ticonderoga 64
Disillusionist

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2018, 04:02:29 PM »

Last night was: CHANDU THE MAGICIAN(1932) with THE MASK OF FU MANCHU(1932)..cant go wrong with Lugosi and Karloff as the villains here.  Smile
claws
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2018, 04:40:03 PM »

Prophecy (1979) and The Manitou (1978). Two of my favorite Indian themed horror movies.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2018, 09:44:48 PM »

Prophecy (1979) and The Manitou (1978). Two of my favorite Indian themed horror movies.

THE MANITOU
is a classic of BADMOVIENESS.  I was writing about this FABULASTIC movie in February:

[url]http://www.badmovies.org/forum/index.php/topic,150041.msg593436.html#msg593436]http://www.badmovies.org/forum/index.php/topic,150041.msg593436.html#msg593436]
[url]http://www.badmovies.org/forum/index.php/topic,150041.msg593436.html#msg593436
[/url]

« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 09:50:19 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2018, 05:08:38 PM »

I watched the GIANT SPIDER INVASION and some thing with David Carradine called FUTURE FORCE (1989)
Sweet Satan in his comfy bed! That movie is BAD!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2018, 05:12:38 PM »

Last night was: CHANDU THE MAGICIAN(1932) with THE MASK OF FU MANCHU(1932)..cant go wrong with Lugosi and Karloff as the villains here.  Smile

Both often under rated films. Classics, if ya ask me.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  FRIDAY NIGHT DOUBLE FEATURE! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.