Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:22:56 AM
713394 Posts in 53059 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Books which got you into film? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Books which got you into film?  (Read 4061 times)
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« on: November 27, 2018, 02:52:18 AM »

For me, it was these two: I know Ronny will agree with me about the first one.

Both of these told me: go forth and find these films.  TeddyR

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 10:58:07 AM »

Gave away my copy of this a few decades ago, but I used to have a book called 100 Greatest Horror Movies. It talked about films like the Cabinet of Dr Calibri and Dementia 13 and I just had to see what they were really like.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2018, 09:30:22 PM »

A Pictorial History of the Talkies

« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 10:04:51 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 12:37:39 PM »

I was into film as far back as I can remember. But the two Psychotronic books made me want to see specific movies.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Ticonderoga 64
Disillusionist
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2018, 03:41:12 PM »

These:

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2018, 07:58:51 PM »

I have the Gifford book, I had it in 1974 too. I'm holding the book. My younger broters are to my right. My sisters are to my left.
I got it for my birthday! I turned 12.
My brothers Mike and Glenn ain't in the picture.That's the back of Mike's head, though.

I have the Alan Frank Book, and had that back in the day as well.
Back in the 70's I read Famous Monsters, Castle of Frankenstein, Monsters of the Movies, Movie Monsters, and any other fly by night mag that was on the newsstand. I had 100's. Along with  Creepy,Eerie, Vampirella, Tomb of Dracula, those gory mags with monsters chopping heads off from Eerie Publications,...all sortsa s**t.
Oh yeah- that's cake and ice cream on paper plates.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 09:12:35 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
quabrot
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2018, 11:34:30 AM »

Two books pivotal to my growth as a fan of cinema were Cult Science Fiction Films and Cult Horror Films, both by Welch Everman.  I got Cult science Fiction Films for Christmas about 20 years ago, and ordered Cult Horror Films from my local bookstore shortly after.  At this point, I have seen most of the movies covered in the books.

Pacman000
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2019, 04:08:17 PM »

From Star Wars to Indiana Jones: The Best of the Lucasfilm

Got this when i was 5 or 6. Short on text, big on pictures, with an emphasis on FX. Lots of pics of the models they used in the movies, & of the model's prototypes.

Probably made me a traditional FX fan; the book came out a year after Jurassic Park, & folks already knew CG would take over. Bluesad Has pics of physical props used for the Morphing scene in Last Crusade, so there's a bit about the change in techniques in there. By '94 making a prop to morph between was already considered quaint.
Pacman000
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2019, 04:26:07 PM »

It Came from Bob's Basement: Exploring the Science Fiction and Monster Movie Archive of Bob Burns

Got this in high school. The life story of archivist, film editor, & gorilla actor, Bob Burns. Has lots of pictures of his collection, & stories of AIP behind-the-scenes.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2019, 08:45:41 AM »

There were a couple of horror books I read as a kid that introduced me to movies I wouldn't see until I was much older, but I don't remember the names.

"Incredibly Strange Films" and Michael J. Weldon's "Psychotronic" books didn't get me into film, but they made me track down a lot of cool titles I might not have seen otherwise.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Books which got you into film? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.