Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:48:40 AM
713396 Posts in 53059 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  High quality on low budget. Low quality on high budget. « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: High quality on low budget. Low quality on high budget.  (Read 3211 times)
Svengoolie 3
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: December 09, 2018, 03:47:27 AM »

Since RCM started a a thread on low budget vs high budget, it gave me the idea to do a thread about low budget productions that were high quality and high budget productions that were low quality.

Low budget, high quality: Frankenstein unbound. A roger corman flick this movie had some budget issues but was pretty high quality, thanks to hard work, and original script, some great casting and more.

High budget, low quality. Indiana jones and the temple of doom.  The stupidest IJ flick, with utterly ridiculous characters and stupid things like using an air raft as a parachute, plus the notion a guy can kidnap a woman, drag her into danger, actually help a process meant to kill her then 'rescue' her from the terror and danger her dragged her into! A truly awful movie, I'd rather watch kingdom of the crystal skull, another high budget, low quality film but not as offensively stupid and bad.

Low budget, high quality: Babylon 5. I had issues with the show while it ran due to the fhans, who were the fist "toxic fhandom" i ever encountered. Nowe that I'm over that I can appreciate the quality of the show as it's reran on comettv. Yes it looks bad now in some ways and the cgi is worse than some video games, but so what? It's still quality tv.

High budget low quality: Star trek voyager. Or how to take a decent idea and trash it with inane scripts, deus ex endings, technonsense and scibabble. Adding a low talent bimbo with frog eyes and fish lips in a cat suit who landed the role by screwing the producer and you end up with a mess that must have had Gene Roddenberry doing posthumous facepalms.

Low budget high quality. Dredd. a very hardcore gritty action flick with karl urban as the ultimate lawman in a future city that's a mega mess.

High budget low quality: Batman and robin. Good god how can you put that much money into a movie and still have something that looks like the aftermath of king kong eating a mexican restaurant?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 02:46:49 PM by Svengoolie 3 » Logged

The doctor that circumcised Trump threw away the wrong piece.
claws
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2018, 06:47:43 AM »

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (2009) - $200m budget that shows every penny spend: it looks amazing and there's non stop action, and that's it. The heart and soul went into the technical aspect of the movie, with zero for the actors. Shia LaBeouf's character is shallow, flat and one dimensional. Megan Fox is only there to look good. This is probably the most artificial and soulless summer blockbuster ever made.

The Guest (2014) - Not an amazing or very original movie but a great one considering its minimal budget, plot with a fun twist and solid casting. It intentionally borrows from other movies while still doing its own thing  Thumbup
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2018, 09:03:51 AM »

Since ER started a a thread on low budget vs high budget, it gave me the idea to do a thread about low budget productions that were high quality and high budget productions that were low quality.

I started the thread.

The TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE  is miles above any of the sequels and remakes.
the first EVIL DEAD movie is a classic. The remake is a piece of s**t.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 09:08:56 AM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Svengoolie 3

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2018, 02:46:31 PM »

Since ER started a a thread on low budget vs high budget, it gave me the idea to do a thread about low budget productions that were high quality and high budget productions that were low quality.

I started the thread.

Sorry, didn't mean to insult you, late nite post.

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2018, 07:21:35 PM »

I didn't take it as an insult. I'm sure I'm prettier!  Twirling

NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD (1968) is also the hands down best zombie movie ever made, even after all the sequels and remakes.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Svengoolie 3

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2018, 12:32:01 AM »

NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD (1968) is also the hands down best zombie movie ever made, even after all the sequels and remakes.

Much better personality too.

Battlestar galactic a reboot.  Had a love  budget.  How low? When you watch the show notice each sheet of paper has flat corners,  it was an in joke about all the corners they bad to cut to make the show on it's budget...

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2018, 12:42:51 AM »

I started the thread.

What he said. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Ted C
Bad Movie Lover

Turn Up the Evil!

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2018, 02:55:07 PM »

As a big fan of "Living Dead" movies, I must admit that I prefer the 1990 "Night of the Living Dead" remake to the original. Maybe that's just because it was the first one I saw, but I found Barbara to be a vastly more interesting character in the remake (not hard; she had almost no character in the original).

"Slugs?  He created slugs? I would have started with lasers, six o'clock, day one!" -- Evil, Time Bandits
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2018, 05:06:13 PM »

I didn't take it as an insult. I'm sure I'm prettier!  Twirling

As a big fan of "Living Dead" movies, I must admit that I prefer the 1990 "Night of the Living Dead" remake to the original. Maybe that's just because it was the first one I saw, but I found Barbara to be a vastly more interesting character in the remake (not hard; she had almost no character in the original).
But Barbara was in shock in the first movie. She acted like many folks would.
Plus she dies. Everybody dies. And I thought it was just plain scarier.
It was almost like a documentary, at times.

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Svengoolie 3

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2018, 06:53:39 AM »

I liked there make where Red realized a walking person could just get thru the zombies with a determined stride nd only shooting when necessary.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  High quality on low budget. Low quality on high budget. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.