Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:55:52 AM
713325 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  What Was That Film?  |  Solved  |  Kung Fu Swordsman, friend has wooden arm, early 80's? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Kung Fu Swordsman, friend has wooden arm, early 80's?  (Read 8900 times)
MovieHunter
New Visitor

« on: December 17, 2018, 05:35:38 AM »

Hi there. Have been trying to learn the title of a kung fu type movie i rented in the later 90's (Australia).

From memory it had a title like 'swordsman', with snow mountain looking terrain on video cover.

The swordsman is accompanied by a one armed man wearing a wooden prosthesis who has vowed to protect him because he is owed some kind of duel, or he has a score to settle with the swordsman? Also hides a flask of wine in a compartment in his wooden upper arm. They later on meet another traveler, a young woman.
Looked like it was made in the late 70's to early 80's. From searching other movies with similar visuals it did have a Taiwan made martial arts vibe.

If anyone out there can help i'd appreciate it. I've searched google and youtube for any titles like 'one armed swordsman/lone swordsman/hidden flask' etc but no luck yet.

Question
MovieHunter
New Visitor

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 03:44:13 AM »

Damn, nobody familiar with this movie?

Maybe my memory is mixing up different movies, but I'm 99% sure the main protagonist was travelling with another who had a wooden arm that could store a wine flask in the bicep area. Looked like your typical rice wine/sake flask, a small white bottle.

Any hints as to what this movies was would end my very long search. Every couple of years I go on a google hunt to try and learn the title, please help bad movie lovers!
Archivist
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 09:49:19 PM »

Your description sounds vaguely familiar, but that could just be my brain concocting things. Have you tried searching for things like, kung fu move wooden arm', 'martial arts movie wooden arm', 'hong kong movie wooden arm'? There are dozens of swordsman movies, but the wooden arm seems to be a differentiator.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
MovieHunter
New Visitor

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2019, 07:32:52 AM »

Hi Archivist, Have searched using the 'wooden arm' 'rice wine in arm' etc a few times, but tried again tonight with no luck just to be sure. Also went with your suggestion of adding 'Hong Kong', then tried 'Taiwan' and even 'Korean' just incase but nothing comes up except wing chun films (wooden arm dummy training etc).

If you come across anything vaguely resembling this film I'd appreciate any response, if only to narrow it down. Thanks for your help!
Jim H

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2019, 10:47:16 PM »

Hi Archivist, Have searched using the 'wooden arm' 'rice wine in arm' etc a few times, but tried again tonight with no luck just to be sure. Also went with your suggestion of adding 'Hong Kong', then tried 'Taiwan' and even 'Korean' just incase but nothing comes up except wing chun films (wooden arm dummy training etc).

If you come across anything vaguely resembling this film I'd appreciate any response, if only to narrow it down. Thanks for your help!

I don't know how helpful this is, but it sounds like it might be one of the knockoffs of the one-armed swordsman films.  Wang Yu made several one-armed swordsman films, originally for Shaw Bros.  Then he made independent ones, and eventually ANOTHER character who was one-armed.  They were so popular other film makers ripped off the character, along with other films like the Crippled Avengers and the Crippled Masters.  It sounds like your film is along that line.  I wish I could help more, but just more things to look up for you.  I tried looking through the ones I've seen and none of them quite match, unfortunately there are MANY of these films.
Archivist

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2019, 02:16:48 AM »

I don't know how helpful this is, but it sounds like it might be one of the knockoffs of the one-armed swordsman films.  Wang Yu made several one-armed swordsman films, originally for Shaw Bros.  Then he made independent ones, and eventually ANOTHER character who was one-armed.  They were so popular other film makers ripped off the character, along with other films like the Crippled Avengers and the Crippled Masters.  It sounds like your film is along that line.  I wish I could help more, but just more things to look up for you.  I tried looking through the ones I've seen and none of them quite match, unfortunately there are MANY of these films.

I know, right? There are dozens of one armed swordsman type movies, kind of like Bruceploitation movies (OneArmsploitation? Stumpsploitation?)

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
MovieHunter
New Visitor

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2020, 07:04:26 AM »

I finally found it!!!

Was watching some 80's ninja movies that took me back to the VHS rental store days, which triggered my memory: the cover of the kung fu movie i'd been searching for had 'ninja' in the title!

Searched google images for old VHS ninja covers and bada-boom! this baby shows up: "The Lone Ninja Warrior".

aka "Shui yue shi san dao/Thirteen Moon Sword"
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2020, 07:34:09 AM »

Glad you found it searching for almost a year!

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Jim H

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2020, 01:37:04 AM »

I finally found it!!!

Was watching some 80's ninja movies that took me back to the VHS rental store days, which triggered my memory: the cover of the kung fu movie i'd been searching for had 'ninja' in the title!

Searched google images for old VHS ninja covers and bada-boom! this baby shows up: "The Lone Ninja Warrior".

aka "Shui yue shi san dao/Thirteen Moon Sword"

Wow, it's a Brigitte Lin.  It's also got Eddy Ko and several other Chinese actors I recognize.  Much higher budget film than I was thinking!  I was assuming this was a quite low budget exploitation type film.  Thanks for the update, I might check it out myself!
Archivist

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2020, 09:58:05 PM »

Wow, I've never heard of this one. Congratulations on finding it, and thank you for updating us on this mystery!

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  What Was That Film?  |  Solved  |  Kung Fu Swordsman, friend has wooden arm, early 80's? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.