Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:58:53 PM
713365 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance. « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance.  (Read 2431 times)
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« on: December 18, 2018, 10:13:47 AM »

Looking forward to this, although since we know that things don't get sorted out until the movie I feel it kind of spoils a prequel TV show slightly.

We've known for a while that Netflix was cooking up a new series based within the world of The Dark Crystal, the 1982 Jim Henson classic that one uncle of yours is still super into at the age of 43, but until today we haven't been sure who might be voicing the extensive cast of puppets that make up the show.

Netflix just shot over a press release announcing that cast, and good lord - they've got everyone in here. Check out this murderer's row of talent:

"Leading the voice cast are Taron Egerton (Kingsman), Anya Taylor-Joy (The Witch), and Nathalie Emmanuel (Game of Thrones), as Rian, Brea and Deet, three Gelfling heroes. 

Other Gelfling characters are voiced by:

Taron Egerton (Kingsman)
        Anya Taylor Joy (The Witch)
        Nathalie Emmanuel (Game of Thrones)
        Caitriona Balfe (Outlander)
        Helena Bonham-Carter (The King’s Speech)
        Harris Dickinson (forthcoming Maleficent 2)
        Natalie Dormer (Game of Thrones)
        Eddie Izzard (Ocean’s Thirteen)
        Theo James (The Divergent Series)
        Toby Jones (Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy)
        Shazad Latif (Star Trek: Discovery)
        Gugu Mbatha-Raw (The Cloverfield Paradox)
        Mark Strong (Kingsman)
        Alicia Vikander (Tomb Raider)

The Skeksis & Mystics are voiced by:

Harvey Fierstein (Torch Song)
        Mark Hamill (Knightfall, Star Wars)
        Ralph Ineson (Game of Thrones)
        Jason Isaacs (The OA)
        Keegan-Michael Key (Key and Peele)
        Ólafur Darri Ólafsson (True Detective)
        Simon Pegg (Mission Impossible)
        Andy Samberg (Brooklyn Nine Nine)

Aughra will be voiced by:

Donna Kimball (The Happytime Murders)"

That's a staggering amount of talent! And that's not all - Netflix also sent over a handful of images from the series. The first one's at the top of this page, but here are the others:

So, Netflix's The Dark Crystal: The Age of Resistance will look a lot like the original Dark Crystal, just with higher-quality puppets. This tracks, seeing as how all involved (read: the Jim Henson Company) have had almost four decades to fine-tune those designs. We're into these!

If you're wondering, here's an official plot synopsis:

"Based on The Dark Crystal, Jim Henson’s groundbreaking 1982 feature film, The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance tells a new epic story, set many years before the events of the movie, and realized using classic puppetry with cutting edge visual effects. The world of Thra is dying. The Crystal of Truth is at the heart of Thra, a source of untold power. But it is damaged, corrupted by the evil Skeksis, and a sickness spreads across the land. When three Gelfling uncover the horrific truth behind the power of the Skeksis, an adventure unfolds as the fires of rebellion are lit and an epic battle for the planet begins."

A personal note: I am a child of the '80s, but I confess that mine was a Labyrinth household. I was always aware of The Dark Crystal, but for whatever reason the entire thing didn't interest me until much later in life, at which time I found the whole thing to be pretty damn impressive on a technical level, but not really my cup of tea on a narrative one. That said, it's hard not to be intrigued by what Netflix is building here (particularly with that incredible cast in place), and I'm curious to give this a go once it hits that streaming service next year.

How 'bout y'all? You into all this? Not so much? Got anything to add? Sound off in the comments below.

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2018/12/17/everyone-youve-ever-heard-of-was-just-cast-in-netflixs-dark-crystal-series?fbclid=IwAR1zGrx0wrlGR6DdL_1zFcvLtsKtFS1mf4c3pK2YEagReULXz0BQdaXpTdI
for the original article and some pictures.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
316zombie
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2018, 03:25:49 PM »

i'll sound off HERE instead. i'm very pleased to see this coming to fruition. i'd really like to see them do a sequel series too.
Bushma
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 06:47:30 PM »

the 1982 Jim Henson classic that one uncle of yours is still super into at the age of 43

I'm horribly offended by this, I'm only 39 (until to the end of next month).  That said, I'm not sure how I fell about this.  I wish stuff would be left alone, and gone back to revisit things just worries me.

This is my awesome signature.  Jealous?
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.