Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:45:56 AM
713389 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Aquaman (2018) « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Aquaman (2018)  (Read 5539 times)
WingedSerpent
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« on: December 29, 2018, 01:33:28 PM »

Its nice to see that DC is starting to turn itself around.  While still not as good as Wonder Woman, this was an enjoyable popcorn flick.

First introduced in Justice League,  Arthur Curry must find Atlan's Trident to stop his half-brother Orhm (the comic villian known as Ocean Master) from declaring war on the surface.

This movie is DC trying to turn the DCEU version of Aquaman into something comparable to Marvel's Thor.   Waring brothers, fantastical beats, giant monsters. Ancient yet futuristic technology Atlantis even has a rainbow bridge equivalent. 

However there is a big problem with the movie.  It does feel bloated at times.  A lot of the Aquaman mythos is in this movie.  Almost as if there was only ever going to be one movie-they wanted to get in as much as possible.

But the acting was good, I liked a lot of the characters.  The design of the film was had a lot going on. 

I know a lot of people are getting sick of superhero films, but I still enjoyed this one.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2018, 01:52:13 PM »

There's an Aquaman-you know Namor would kick his ass- but no Submariner. They made fun of this movie before it was even made in that stupid TV show Entourage.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2018, 02:08:13 PM »

I finally sat threw the last Avengers movie. I burned out on this s**t real fast. It's poprocks and bubblegum for the brain.
I walked out when it first came out at the theater, because I don't know how to act like a civil human being at a theater. So I got into an argument with my son Eddie.
So I finally saw it.
Dam- What the f**k? I was bored. It's just too dragged out. This ain't KILL BILL.
Just one over-bloated special effect after another. That's great if I'm 13 years old.

I don't know what this has to do with Aquaman- but-ahhh!  hot

(I'm still looking forward to the new Godzilla movie!!!!)

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Svengoolie 3

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2018, 06:13:08 AM »

Aqua man movie = Wet Thor.

The doctor that circumcised Trump threw away the wrong piece.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2018, 02:26:50 PM »

And the business of business is business.

It certainly has done good business at the box office so far. Enough business that we will be getting a sequel to it. Not in 2019. Most likely in 2020.

With some more thoughts on the business of it.

Has DCEU finally hit its stride with this this one + Wonder Woman, or is this an one-off success?

Something of counterprogramming, as this is not the typical film one sees released during the holidays. It seems to be more of a summer film, which may be why it is doing so well at the box office.

Though, what is DCEU going to do next? Excluding all the tie-in merchandise, the film is going to spawn. Make another film. Then another film. And then another film. And then what?

At least, at this moment, Marvel has the advantage of putting its film characters into the theme parks around the world.
Disneyland Paris is getting a Spider-man attraction.
Disney's California Adventure has a Guardians of the Galaxy attraction + it's also getting a Spider-man attraction.
EPCOT at Walt Disney World is getting a Guardians of the Galaxy roller coaster.
Hong Kong Disneyland has an Iron Man attraction.
Shanghai Disneyland is getting an Ant-man and Wasp attraction.
And etc.

And we will see what we will see.
Archivist

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 10:07:23 PM »

Just like this thread suggests, I'm reading a lot of mixed reports about Aquaman. Some say it's great, others say it's awful, others say it's in between. I expect to be entertained and engaged. The original Thor movie had a special something because of Kenneth Branagh's direction, and actors like Anthony Hopkins and Tom Hiddleston. Not sure if Aquaman will have that kind of oomph.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 11:56:33 PM »

I thoroughly enjoyed it, but let's be honest - I am easily entertained.
And dang, Nicole Kidman is STILL easy on the eyes at age 50!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2019, 02:03:56 AM »

I finally sat threw the last Avengers movie. I burned out on this s**t real fast. It's poprocks and bubblegum for the brain.
I walked out when it first came out at the theater, because I don't know how to act like a civil human being at a theater. So I got into an argument with my son Eddie.
So I finally saw it.
Dam- What the f**k? I was bored. It's just too dragged out. This ain't KILL BILL.
Just one over-bloated special effect after another. That's great if I'm 13 years old.

I don't know what this has to do with Aquaman- but-ahhh!  hot

(I'm still looking forward to the new Godzilla movie!!!!)

Ronny, I went to see Avengers Age of Ultron in a theater, curved screen, 3D, the works. I was bored and I went for a walk halfway through!

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2019, 06:25:25 PM »

Still not a film I have any interest in ever seeing, but, it is interesting nevertheless for the backlash to the film that has developed. I don't know whether that is because of the quality of the film, where the reviews are at best mixed, which has already been mentioned on this thread, or the quantity of the money the film has earned at the box office, but, this backlash has spawned a backlash to the backlash.
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2019, 06:11:32 PM »

Still not a film I have any interest in ever seeing, but, it is interesting nevertheless for the backlash to the film that has developed. I don't know whether that is because of the quality of the film, where the reviews are at best mixed, which has already been mentioned on this thread, or the quantity of the money the film has earned at the box office, but, this backlash has spawned a backlash to the backlash.

What backlash?   Sure I've heard there were mixed reviews, but its not this movie seems to be courting any real sort of controversy. 

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2019, 04:17:13 PM »

What backlash?   Sure I've heard there were mixed reviews, but its not this movie seems to be courting any real sort of controversy. 

It may not be generating any controversy, but it is generating some dislike among the people who have seen it, which is why there is now some folks who have seen it, coming out in support of the film and against those who dislike it.

As for who dislikes it is, one of them was my financial advisor, who took one of his daughters to see the film. She enjoyed it, but, he disliked it, because he thought the dialogue in it was forced. That is to say, while the humorous dialogue in a Marvel film seemed to him to flow naturally. Here, what humorous dialogue there was, flowed unnaturally. That does not seem to have stopped the idea for a sequel in the future.

Also we are likely to see sequels to . . .
justice league -- man of steel -- suicide squad -- wonder woman

And in 2020--definitely--so far
batman -- batgirl -- birds of prey -- the flash -- green lantern corps -- and justice league dark.

2021 and thereafter--tentatively--so far
Gotham city sirens -- and the new gods.

And individual films--questionable--so far
Black Adam -- booster gold -- cyborg -- death stroke -- Harley Quinn -- Lego Batman -- lobo -- and Super girl.

And this compares with MCU in 2020 and 2021--so far
black panther 2 -- black widow -- doctor strange 2 -- the eternals -- the new mutants -- Shang-chi -- and guardians of the galaxy 3.

And thereafter 2 films a year between 2022 and 2028, inclusive, from the MCU.

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2019, 11:03:40 AM »

Also we are likely to see sequels to . . .
justice league -- man of steel -- suicide squad -- wonder woman

And in 2020--definitely--so far
batman -- batgirl -- birds of prey -- the flash -- green lantern corps -- and justice league dark.

2021 and thereafter--tentatively--so far
Gotham city sirens -- and the new gods.

And individual films--questionable--so far
Black Adam -- booster gold -- cyborg -- death stroke -- Harley Quinn -- Lego Batman -- lobo -- and Super girl.

And this compares with MCU in 2020 and 2021--so far
black panther 2 -- black widow -- doctor strange 2 -- the eternals -- the new mutants -- Shang-chi -- and guardians of the galaxy 3.

And thereafter 2 films a year between 2022 and 2028, inclusive, from the MCU.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 11:39:23 AM by RCMerchant » Logged

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Archivist

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2019, 09:50:10 PM »

I'd love to see a good sequel to Man Of Steel. Despite what some say, I really enjoyed it at multiple levels, including direction, art, cinematography, and the writing.

It will be interesting to see a standalone Batman film from the DCEU, given how that character has been handled so far. But I'm a crazy fan of the Nolan Batman films, so I'm biased in that way.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2019, 02:03:02 PM »

It recently surpassed $1 billion dollars at the international box office. It it can earn another quarter of a billion dollars, then it should surpass Black Panther as the highest grossing superhero film to date. As I believe the international box office for Black Panther stands at $1.23 billion. Does this mean that DCEU has finally hit its stride? We will have to wait and see.
quabrot
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2019, 02:26:16 PM »

Its nice to see that DC is starting to turn itself around.  While still not as good as Wonder Woman, this was an enjoyable popcorn flick.

First introduced in Justice League,  Arthur Curry must find Atlan's Trident to stop his half-brother Orhm (the comic villian known as Ocean Master) from declaring war on the surface.

This movie is DC trying to turn the DCEU version of Aquaman into something comparable to Marvel's Thor.   Waring brothers, fantastical beats, giant monsters. Ancient yet futuristic technology Atlantis even has a rainbow bridge equivalent. 

However there is a big problem with the movie.  It does feel bloated at times.  A lot of the Aquaman mythos is in this movie.  Almost as if there was only ever going to be one movie-they wanted to get in as much as possible.

But the acting was good, I liked a lot of the characters.  The design of the film was had a lot going on. 

I know a lot of people are getting sick of superhero films, but I still enjoyed this one.

Nobody on that production team said "Let's save that for the sequel."  The fact that it is so overstuffed makes it all the more entertaining. It gets to the point where it is just absurd.

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Aquaman (2018) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.